There are 159 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

*** San Jose Sharks 2010-11 Pacific Div. Champs Off-season Thread ***

Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Where's OTC & Darth & NickV? THoughts guys?

I was suprised by the trade, but I was happy we got rid of Heatley because he wasn't worth the production that we were getting from him for the salary that he was receiving. We got some and lost some on this trade:

-- Heatley was willing to mix it up by being more physical than Havlat (someone had the stats earlier for hits made by both players). That should mean that we shouldn't expect a whole lot of defense from Havlat.
-- Heatley was supposed to be a sniper, but I didn't see that much of it while he was with the Sharks (probably because our two scoring lines were pretty much balanced).
-- Havlat has more speed than Heatley and can score during transition, which I think will be an asset now that we have two puck-moving defensemen in Boyle and Burns.
-- I personally think that Havlat is a less physical, left-handed version of.... Devon Setoguchi.

I like the trade because the expected production should now equal the salary. But money=production doesn't really win championships now does it...

It allows you guys to keep your team intact next year.

And Heatley has been a major disappointment when it counts. Havlat has a cup, and that experience is invaluable.

Its a good move by SJ.

Handzus? Waste of money.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
How good is Brent Burns?

All-Star caliber, apparently.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Where's OTC & Darth & NickV? THoughts guys?

I was suprised by the trade, but I was happy we got rid of Heatley because he wasn't worth the production that we were getting from him for the salary that he was receiving. We got some and lost some on this trade:

-- Heatley was willing to mix it up by being more physical than Havlat (someone had the stats earlier for hits made by both players). That should mean that we shouldn't expect a whole lot of defense from Havlat.
-- Heatley was supposed to be a sniper, but I didn't see that much of it while he was with the Sharks (probably because our two scoring lines were pretty much balanced).
-- Havlat has more speed than Heatley and can score during transition, which I think will be an asset now that we have two puck-moving defensemen in Boyle and Burns.
-- I personally think that Havlat is a less physical, left-handed version of.... Devon Setoguchi.

I like the trade because the expected production should now equal the salary. But money=production doesn't really win championships now does it...

It allows you guys to keep your team intact next year.

And Heatley has been a major disappointment when it counts. Havlat has a cup, and that experience is invaluable.

Its a good move by SJ.

Handzus? Waste of money.

Not if he helps our anemic PK.
What you can expect from Handzus:
- about 50% faceoffs
- very good on PK blocking shots
- always gets open provide the D a breakout pass option
- good at shadowing larger centers (ie. Getzlaf, Kopitar)
- dangerous in the shootout
- not the fastest skater
- can be used on the PP to screen the goalie
ive read were interested in alexander semin as well, caps are trying to clear cap space
Martin Havlat trade analysis

great article on the trade
How about making a move for Keith Yandle? He wants out of Phoenix and we seem to be clearing cap space for another big move
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
ive read were interested in alexander semin as well, caps are trying to clear cap space

Link and we don't have the pieces anymore. Unless we trade one of the top 6

i saw it earlier but i forgot the site, it was some twitter account. caps are looking for salary relief and taking either 1 of our top 6 guys will put them back in the same hole, they'll most likely accept picks and prospects

i saw it earlier but i forgot the site, it was some twitter account. caps are looking for salary relief and taking either 1 of our top 6 guys will put them back in the same hole, they'll most likely accept picks and prospects

wonder if Dougie has the balls to offer a contract to a player on a team thats near the salary cap

like Troy Brouwer of the capitals
dont be surprised if heatly kicks ass next year

he will be highly motivated

this line sticks out to me

Quote:
The bottom line is this: In Atlanta and Ottawa, Heatley wanted out. In San Jose, he was shipped out.

“I wanted a change in those situations,” Heatley said. “Obviously this one was different for me, but that’s the way it goes. I’m happy to be in Minnesota. It’s definitely a motivator.”
dont be surprised if heatly kicks ass next year

he will be highly motivated

this line sticks out to me

Quote:
The bottom line is this: In Atlanta and Ottawa, Heatley wanted out. In San Jose, he was shipped out.

“I wanted a change in those situations,” Heatley said. “Obviously this one was different for me, but that’s the way it goes. I’m happy to be in Minnesota. It’s definitely a motivator.”

Meh, he played on a championship caliber team, should be motivation enough. He's definitely a "me first" kind of guy. Plus he's had that groin issue for over a season now, and his hand late last year. The guy is 31 and not too many players start pouring in 40 goal seasons after 30. I think Havlat, although not a sniper like Heatley, balances the Sharks out more. He gives us the speed we lose with Seto gone. I think our 5 vs 5 is much better with this trade, maybe a little loss on the PP.

I hope Heatley does well though, im just glad his contract is gone.
Drew Remenda thinks the depth chart will look like / looks like this right now...

Quote:
As I see it, here's how the Sharks depth chart looks on America's Independence Day:

Niemi
Nittymaki

Murray-Boyle
Vlasic-Burns
Demers-Braun
Vandermeer-Moore

Marleau-Thornton-Couture*
* - Logan played with these two earlier last season and it worked.
Mind you, Logan seems to work with everyone.
Havlat-Pavelski-Clowe
Mitchell-Handzus-TBA
McLaren-Desjardins-McGinn

http://fans.sharks.nhl.com/community/blog/16/entry-1953-theres-no-such-thing-as-a-holiday/
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jul 4, 2011 at 11:39 PM ]
I want to see Couture with a playmaker like Havlat.
http://www.640toronto.com/HostsandShows/BillWatters/Audio.aspx

remenda's take