LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

Official 2010 California Golden Bears Football

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by teeohh:
Riley as a Niner

More like Keenan Allen in 2013, who wants to hop on that bandwagon with me right now?

Coming from a Cal fan, I know. I know that I haven't seen enough of him or haven't followed him the way most of you have in this thread. But I'll let the NFL Combine speak for itself, where stocks rise and fall.

I just have to let the games speak for itself when it comes to Riley, he doesn't step up in big games when you need him to (Oregon, USC last year). He may have his best year yet with Jones and Allen, but I don't see him amounting to anything in the NFL. A career backup? sure draft him in the 6th
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by AC49er:
Just got back from the game! GO BEARS!!!!!
Riley threw very crisp passes
Allen is going to be a stud, dude had some quick cutbacks
Vereen & Jones are going to put up solid numbers
The defense did nothing spectacular. Seems like they lack a big time playmaker
(What needs to be taken into account is that Davis is a slow team)

I'm calling it now, he'll be a 9er in 2012.

Yea, I'm with ads. I dunno how I feel about that. He made great throws today, sure, but it was UC Davis. Although I sure do like that he's from a pro-style offense!

I know it was against UC-Davis, but the kid has got some good mechanics along with pretty strong arm. He really can't be any worse than Carr. I really don't like the Nate Davis project, I'm just not sold on Davis.

I wont deny that. He sometimes lacks touch on his deep passes though.

The knock on the kid is does he conceptualize the game. I dont think he does that well and still has trouble reading defenses.
Riley as a Niner

More like Keenan Allen in 2013, who wants to hop on that bandwagon with me right now?

Coming from a Cal fan, I know. I know that I haven't seen enough of him or haven't followed him the way most of you have in this thread. But I'll let the NFL Combine speak for itself, where stocks rise and fall.

I just have to let the games speak for itself when it comes to Riley, he doesn't step up in big games when you need him to (Oregon, USC last year). He may have his best year yet with Jones and Allen, but I don't see him amounting to anything in the NFL. A career backup? sure draft him in the 6th

Some of the best QBs in the NFL were the late round guys who people said they'd be a career back up when they got to the NFL. Just look at Tom Brady, Hasselbeck, etc. Riley hasn't really had very many good WRs while he's been at Cal. I think he's going to have a pretty good year this year. Last year he made me want to pull my hair out at times though
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Riley as a Niner

Some of the best QBs in the NFL were the late round guys who people said they'd be a career back up when they got to the NFL. Just look at Tom Brady, Hasselbeck, etc. Riley hasn't really had very many good WRs while he's been at Cal. I think he's going to have a pretty good year this year. Last year he made me want to pull my hair out at times though

that's a very good point, gotta agree with Kolohe's argument, Riley may just have a future in the NFL but only as a project for his first few years, no way he can be a 1st year starter even if his diet is nothing but steroids
btw I'll take some credit for giving Allen some hype since a couple of days ago
The whole back story on how Cal ended up with Keenan Allen is pretty crazy. Hopefully nothing shady went down because this kid has 1st round talent.
[ Edited by natrone06 on Sep 5, 2010 at 7:51 AM ]
Originally posted by natrone06:
The whole back story on how Cal ended up with Keenan Allen is pretty crazy. Hopefully nothing shady went down because this kid has 1st round talent.

Nothing shady IMO. CAL offered to take on all of his friends (who happen to be pretty good) and transfer in his half-brother. I'm also sure CAL asked Allen what position he wanted to play. (he was also a 5-star safety). I'm sure also that the fact that he would be starting right away had something to do with it. Mix in CAL's top academics and a pretty good coaching staff IMO, and who wouldn't want to come to CAL.
Who are all his friends?

and if that's the case why can't we get a five star quarterback
Who are all his friends?

and if that's the case why can't we get a five star quarterback

We got his half brother who was the starting QB at Buffalo

not a 5-star dude but
Sweet Jesus

I can't believe all the Riley angst in here. Yeah -- I know he played a Pop Warner team. But he did what he was supposed to do in that he DOMINATED a clearly outclassed UC Davis team.

So -- you know what? Kid's a senior. Give him a little slack will ya? So he didn't set the freaking world on fire his first three seasons.

At least wifey was/is happy.

Meanwhile -- my Fresno State Buldoggies spotted two TD's to a fairly good Cincinatti team before scoring 28 unanswered points.

Then the Giants put a late inning beatdown on the hated Dodgers.

Yesterday was a pretty damn good sports day kids. Give that Riley kid a little slack.

I'm not giving Riley s**t for his performance yesterday. I'm saying he won't be good in the nfl.
I'm not giving Riley s**t for his performance yesterday. I'm saying he won't be good in the nfl.

Fer Reals?

Quote:
he doesn't step up in big games when you need him to

That's called hatin, son. Just because he hasn't beat USC yet -- doesn't mean he won't.

You Cal fans are spoiled rotten. Before Tedford arrived -- a six win season was cause for celebration. Heck -- even five wins sufficed if one of them was against Stanford.

Now? I hear angst because "we can't beat USC." 8-2 or 7-3 is no longer "good enough."

Riley might surprise you this year. Wait and see
It's not hating its the truth, the entire offense came to a halt whenever we played those teams last year. And he's the leader of the offense. So I don't see what the problem is with pointing that out.

He could surprise us this year, the while team could. But I'm not getting my hopes up until they show they can beat the top teams in this conference. Why should I? we beat uc davis yesterday, that's nothing special

I'm a big fan, I went to cal, I love that town and that school but I'm not going to act like the team is flawless and doesn't deserve any criticism when it's due. If you don't like it, whatever
It's not hating its the truth, the entire offense came to a halt whenever we played those teams last year. And he's the leader of the offense. So I don't see what the problem is with pointing that out.

He could surprise us this year, the while team could. But I'm not getting my hopes up until they show they can beat the top teams in this conference. Why should I? we beat uc davis yesterday, that's nothing special

I'm a big fan, I went to cal, I love that town and that school but I'm not going to act like the team is flawless and doesn't deserve any criticism when it's due. If you don't like it, whatever

did billbird come from anyways with his high-above-sky observations?
Originally posted by vrabbit:

did billbird come from anyways with his high-above-sky observations?

No -- I didn't go to Cal -- I wasn't smart enough. My butt was Fresno State bound.

K?

But it was there -- at a brand new, gleaming facility called Bulldog Stadium -- where I watched some whiz kid QB named Jeff Tedford throw laser darts to Henry Ellard. I was witnessing the birth of a college power. Nobody took Fresno State seriously back in '81. They still don't take them seriously.

I just happen to be a big Tedford fan. I thought/still think he should have been hired as 49ers coach a long time ago. And I don't think Riley has been all that terrible.

He hasn't been great -- but he hasn't stunk up the joint either. My argument is give the kid a break.
Share 49ersWebzone