LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 253 users in the forums

Coffee Retires?

Originally posted by excelsior:
Boy, McLoughan's draft picks are looking more flawed all the time. I thought he prided himself in researching their background and their passion and commitment to the game. He sure missed badly on Balmer, Coffe and others. Put that in your resume, McL.

If Gore goes down or gets dinged up, we have a non-runner in Robinson and a green rookie who is having trouble learning the playbook, and more importantly, blitz pick-ups. Even picking up a veteran is problematic because of him having to learn everything from scratch. Successful programs need stability and veteran depth. With this and the issues on the OL, I fear there may be another shoulder seperation in Alex's future.

Dude, cut it out. How would any GM in this league know that a player is likely to just up and quit football? How many times have you seen that happen?

Exactly.

I know some of you aren't happy with our front office but Jesus, not EVERYTHING is their fault.
Originally posted by montana2rice:
these dudes are idiots for not playing even though their "heart isn't in it". boo f*n hoo. do i want to do financial analysis and look at excel files ALL day long for the rest of my life? no. pay me over a mill a year and hell to the yeah! he needs to suck it up, play until him and his family can be set FOR GOOD and pursue other avenues. what a dumb sh*t

To some people, there is more to life than money. If it is true that he wants to be a priest, more power to him. It is a higher calling than entertaining us, maybe he will make a difference in peoples lives.
Originally posted by pdxredandgold:
Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald, who covered Glen Coffee at Alabama, believes Coffee is retiring to pursue the priesthood.
"Having covered 49ers RB Glen Coffee for 3 years, not surprised he retired," tweeted Rapoport on Friday. "He has a higher call. Wouldn't shock me if he headed to ministry." The 49ers retain Coffee's rights, but it sounds like his retirement is for good. He'll remain under contract through 2012.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dude is gonna suck at being a priest too.

2.7 hail mary's per prayer

OMG that is the quote of the day!

But honestly if he wants to be a priest we shouldn't hate. If his heart was no longer in it then why would we want him here to take reps from Dixon. He probably understood this which is why he had the timing he did. I always liked Coffee, he stayed out of trouble and he worked his butt off. You can tell Singletary respects him by his comments, and if Singletary still respects him then we should as well.

Look at Balmer on the opposite side, you can tell Singletary isnt pleased with what he is doing and it shows. So let's focus our bashing on Balmer and write off Coffee as religulous, but someone who actually did the right thing when going through the motions would have been so much easier.
Originally posted by excelsior:
Boy, McLoughan's draft picks are looking more flawed all the time. I thought he prided himself in researching their background and their passion and commitment to the game. He sure missed badly on Balmer, Coffe and others. Put that in your resume, McL.

If Gore goes down or gets dinged up, we have a non-runner in Robinson and a green rookie who is having trouble learning the playbook, and more importantly, blitz pick-ups. Even picking up a veteran is problematic because of him having to learn everything from scratch. Successful programs need stability and veteran depth. With this and the issues on the OL, I fear there may be another shoulder seperation in Alex's future.

lets see who else the drunkard drafted for us

Gore, Willis, Goldson, Staley Morgan,Vernon Davis Id say he did a decent job.

Say what you want about Scotty Mac but he sure brought in a lot of good players and players that are favorites to win the NFC West and get us back into the playoffs
TOO bad he couldn't make this decision before Blount went to the Titans because we had too many running backs. I'm sure Blount would have been willing to compete with just Dixon for the backup role.
If it's a personal issue than I wish him the best. If it turns out he just up and quit, then PEACE! Either way lets not overreact like he was actually good.

Then again, around here that's like asking the sun to not shine.
When we drafted Coffee, all I could say was, "Why didn't we move up nine spots to get Shonn Greene?" I've been asking myself that question ever since... and now this. Ya' know what though? This isn't that big of a deal... life moves on. The 49ers are still on the right path, setbacks are to be expected.
All I gotta say is good riddance... Runningbacks like coffee are a dime a dozen. My only disappointment is we waisted a 3rd round pick on the dude
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

Awesome
wow, i'm shocked, but oh well. he had promise but its not a huge loss, and if there's something else he'd rather do with his life, he should do it.

Good luck, Glen.

Coffee did nothing wrong. He wasn't starter material. He probably realized he would never cash in on a big payday and decided that he didn't want to be in a wheel chair by the age of 55 with little financial compensation.

Football is a brutal sport and it is my opinion that most player are vastly underpaid considering their lifetime income potential, the time and commitment it takes to get there and the over all beating your body takes.

f**k Sam Bradford!
Thomas Clayton's legs work yet?
Originally posted by Ninersdeep:
All I gotta say is good riddance... Runningbacks like coffee are a dime a dozen. My only disappointment is we waisted a 3rd round pick on the dude

And like I said, we could have taken Shonn Greene had we moved up nine picks. Everyone knew he would be the first guy off the board in Round 3...
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Coffee did nothing wrong. He wasn't starter material. He probably realized he would never cash in on a big payday and decided that he didn't want to be in a wheel chair by the age of 55 with little financial compensation.

Football is a brutal sport and it is my opinion that most player are vastly underpaid considering their lifetime income potential, the time and commitment it takes to get there and the over all beating your body takes.

f**k Sam Bradford!

Haha, where did that come from? Him being vastly overpaid for what he did in college two years ago?
Originally posted by pdxredandgold:
Thomas Clayton's legs work yet?

IDK, and even if they did work, all he'd use them for is dancing around...
Share 49ersWebzone