LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 142 users in the forums

Scottie Pippen:The Ultimate Wingman

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
what shocked me in that article was that Pippen only made 2.8 million dollars in one year.

Could you imagine what he/jordan could get in todays market.

But congrats to Pippen, dude was a baller

Somewhere around 6 years, $120 Million.

Congrats to Pip. He was one of my faves growing up.

I was listening to Gary Radnich on KNBR yesterday, and he was saying $120 mil was about what he made in his total career .

Sad these days when the Jerome James' of the NBA are making bank for playing hard one year and doing nothing the rest, or in the NFL when rookie QBs are making more yearly than what Montana made yearly.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by nicedraw94080:
Pippen > Lebron ???????

just a thought.....

I don't think so. Just because LeBron wussed out and went to Miami doesn't mean that he's not a bad motherf**ker. I think the world of Pippen, but LeBron's a better player, IMO.

I wasn't even considering "The Decision" sideshow....

As a basketball player, from top to bottom. Very similar attributes. I actually give pippen the edge on shooting and defense.

Ultimately, lebron should/will have a better career ?? jus not sure..
Pippen > Lebron ???????

just a thought.....

I don't think so. Just because LeBron wussed out and went to Miami doesn't mean that he's not a bad motherf**ker. I think the world of Pippen, but LeBron's a better player, IMO.

As a basketball player, from top to bottom. Very similar attributes. I actually give pippen the edge on shooting and defense.

Well, they're similar except for the fact that LeBron can get to the basket pretty much any time that he wants to. LeBron has a good 30-40lbs on Pippen and is even faster than Pip was.

Developed skill sets are fine and dandy, but let's not underestimate the importance of sheer physical dominance. People used to always get on Shaq's case for only dunking, but not everyone CAN dunk the ball 5-6 times a game like Shaq could or get to the hoop at will the way LeBron can.

I agree about defense, but disagree about shooting. Pippen was never a good shooter from either the outside or at the FT line. LeBron isn't great in this respect, but he's better than Pippen.
Pippen > Lebron ???????

just a thought.....

Well, they're similar except for the fact that LeBron can get to the basket pretty much any time that he wants to. LeBron has a good 30-40lbs on Pippen and is even faster than Pip was.

Developed skill sets are fine and dandy, but let's not underestimate the importance of sheer physical dominance. People used to always get on Shaq's case for only dunking, but not everyone CAN dunk the ball 5-6 times a game like Shaq could or get to the hoop at will the way LeBron can.

I agree about defense, but disagree about shooting. Pippen was never a good shooter from either the outside or at the FT line. LeBron isn't great in this respect, but he's better than Pippen.

Yes, Lebron has a mentality when getting to the cup that few players posess, regardless of physical dominance. Pippen did too, but Lebron does have the weight to throw around and i believe also has athleticism we have never seen before in the nba.

I give Pippen a little credit though, at times he had it in him to throw down on bigs if he had a lane.

Physical dominance can go both ways for me.Guys like Shaq, Karl Malone's, Lebron's can easily take over games and be great in their careers. On the other hand , the Kareem's, Pippen's and Steve Nash body types still find ways to get it done without having to "muscle up" or be physically dominant which i admire more.

I lean towards pippen with shooting because his set shot from the outside wasn't terrible.He was reliable in clutch situations. And how can we look past Pippen's signature bank shot from 12 -18 ft. He did that with the confidence of a tim duncan from what i remember.

Lebron's shot is streaky for the most part and takes a higher volume of shots when he was in a Cleveland uniform.This probably will change in MIA so maybe his shooting percentage will improve.

Free throws , I have way more confidence in Pippen making it than LB23 imo.

[ Edited by nicedraw94080 on Aug 13, 2010 at 11:43:20 ]
  • dman
  • Veteran
One of the under apreciated legends of the game.

It was amazing the way he could shut down an entire team's offense by shadowing their point guard all game.

The best defensive player Ive ever seen.
pippen you a ugly mofo.. but you are the man! congrats
Thank you Scottie Pippen!!!!

Yes, Lebron has a mentality when getting to the cup that few players posess, regardless of physical dominance. Pippen did too, but Lebron does have the weight to throw around and i believe also has athleticism we have never seen before in the nba.

I give Pippen a little credit though, at times he had it in him to throw down on bigs if he had a lane.

Physical dominance can go both ways for me.Guys like Shaq, Karl Malone's, Lebron's can easily take over games and be great in their careers. On the other hand , the Kareem's, Pippen's and Steve Nash body types still find ways to get it done without having to "muscle up" or be physically dominant which i admire more.

I lean towards pippen with shooting because his set shot from the outside wasn't terrible.He was reliable in clutch situations. And how can we look past Pippen's signature bank shot from 12 -18 ft. He did that with the confidence of a tim duncan from what i remember.

Lebron's shot is streaky for the most part and takes a higher volume of shots when he was in a Cleveland uniform.This probably will change in MIA so maybe his shooting percentage will improve.

Free throws , I have way more confidence in Pippen making it than LB23 imo.

I agree with you that I admire players that have incredible fundamentals more than those with physical dominance, but I still recognize the value of physical dominance, and it seems like you do too.

Pippen couldn't get to the cup at will to nearly the same degree that LeBron can. He was damn good at it, but LeBron's on an entirely different level in this respect. There's never been a guy at his size that had his combination of ball handling and speed. That's not a knock on Pip, it's just that LeBron's unprecedented in this respect, IMO.

I'm not sure what you're remembering, but Pip was notoriously "unclutch" in big moments. What clutch Pippen moments are you thinking of?

He had a decent 12-18 foot bank shot, but his outside game as a whole was extremely inconsistent. Most of his threes were the result of kickouts from MJ, and he still shot in the low 30's from deep, whereas LeBron doesn't get many catch & shoot opportunities, and still shoots them at a higher clip. Same is true with FT shooting.

I'm a huge Pippen jocker, but I think you're overstating his abilities in the clutch and from the outside. It's weird how LeBron has gone from overrated to underrated in one offseason.
and now Negrodamus has made the appearence.

Nobody gave assissts like Scott Pippen. so here's to my mans

Originally posted by dobo:
Well-deserved honor, but I'm definitely biting my tongue in this thread. I don't want to sound like a broken record.

Say it! Say it!

Originally posted by Negrodamus:
and now Negrodamus has made the appearence.

Nobody gave assissts like Scott Pippen. so here's to my mans

only halfway through.. amazing videos though
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Well-deserved honor, but I'm definitely biting my tongue in this thread. I don't want to sound like a broken record.

Say it! Say it!

Originally posted by valrod33:

Say it! Say it!

Quiet, fanboy!
Originally posted by valrod33:

Say it! Say it!

Quiet, fanboy!

Share 49ersWebzone