LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

2010 FIBA World Basketball Championships (August 28-September 12)

Originally posted by crzy:
Who will make Team USA

On The Bubble

Evans
Evans
Tyreke Evans, G
If there is one area in which Team USA has an embarrassment of riches, it is at point guard with Evans, the 2010 NBA Rookie of the Year, Derrick Rose, the 2009 ROY, along with Chauncey Billups, Rajon Rondo, Russell Westbrook and Stephen Curry. A sore ankle kept Evans sidelined for practices Thursday and Friday, which was when the coaching staff focused hardest on what went down in the scrimmages. That absence has made Evans the No. 1 cut candidate, and it'll take what amounts to an epic comeback for him to stick.

Gordon
Gordon
Eric Gordon, G
There should be a place on the end of the bench in Turkey for a shooter, and Curry has impressed the staff most with his proficiency in that area. Plus, Curry is capable of moving over to shooting guard, and positional versatility is huge plus at all five spots. Gordon has drawn praise for his defense, but it'll take a lights-out shooting night to get him to New York.

Mayo
Mayo
O.J. Mayo, G
As we noted Tuesday in our pre-camp preview, Mayo is somewhat superfluous on a roster loaded with backcourt players but thin in the frontcourt. (When Mayo read it, he looked up "superfluous" in the dictionary.) He has done little to distinguish himself over the four days of practice, and at 6-foot-4 he is a little too small -- and thus has a lack of positional versatility -- to shift over to the small forward spot.

Almost On The Bubble
Granger
Granger
Danny Granger, F
He was a pure bubble guy until Friday, when he was consistently knocking down 3-pointers in scrimmages after sitting out the previous day to rest a bruised shin. He needs to outshine Andre Iguodala on Saturday to keep up the positive vibe.

Jeff Green, F
One of only three true power forwards remaining, and the shortage of big men works in his favor. But Lamar Odom provides more experience, and Kevin Love has been a better player thus far.

mcGee
McGee
JaVale McGee, C
He is the lone member of the remaining 19 with an asterisk next to his name on the official roster, denoting him as merely a camp invitee and not a member of the national team. But with only three centers, it is risky to cut any of them.

Brook Lopez, C
Has been sluggish after recovering from a long bout with mononucleosis, and he is more of a scoring center than a rebounder and shot-blocker -- which is what Team USA wants most out of its big men.

Andre Iguodala, F
Makes this portion of the list only because he has the most to lose with a bad performance Saturday night, especially if Green plays well. His defensive abilities weigh heavily in his favor.

Not On The Bubble

Kevin Durant, G/F
The face of the team, the best player on the team, the only guy who can reasonably be called a lock at this point to also make the 2012 Olympic team.

Chauncey Billups, G
The unquestioned team leader, the wise old quarterback who will be asked to replicate the role Jason Kidd played for the 2008 Redeem Team.

Tyson Chandler, C
He has clearly been the team's best center, and has looked healthy after missing most of the last two NBA seasons with injuries.

Lamar Odom, F
Coach K loves his experience (he played on the 2004 Olympic team) and his versatility. He might even end up spending more time at center than at power forward.

Kevin Love, F
He has been incredibly active at both ends of the floor, hitting the defensive glass and consistently knocking down outside shots.

Rudy Gay, F
Was a standout in minicamp a year ago, and has the combination of quickness, size and shooting ability that will be this team's collective calling card.

Russell Westbrook, G
His ability to play off the ball, which he did at UCLA, is huge. And his defensive tenacity and floor leadership have both brought rave reviews thus far.

Rajon Rondo, G
The team will likely take five guards to Turkey, six if you include Durant. His inability to make free throws, or to play shooting guard, is a concern.

Derrick Rose, G
Like Rondo, he may very well end up being a bubble guy when the team holds training camp in New York from Aug. 9 to 15.

Gerald Wallace, F
Much like the Rose-Rondo conundrum, the Wallace/Iguodala/Granger similarities will bear watching in New York. Size and defensive tenacity work in his favor.

Stephen Curry, G
There is no way Team USA will head to Turkey without a designated zone buster, a la Michael Redd in Beijing. Again, his ability to play either guard spot helps him.

here is what Chris Sheridan says:

So before squeezing in a little vacation, I'll leave you with my July 28 prediction of who will be on the 12-man roster when it is submitted in Turkey on the night of Aug. 26:

C: Chandler, Lopez.

F: Odom, Love, Iguodala, Durant, Gay. (Green, Granger cut)

G: Billups, Rose, Westbrook, Rondo, Curry. (Gordon cut)
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Brook Lopez pulled out

We are f**ked, our centers are Tyson Chandler and Javale McGee

Brook Lopez pulled out

Curry will lead USA to victory!!
Brook Lopez pulled out

Please call him:

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Brook Lopez pulled out

Please call him:

1) Dejuan Blair has a calf strain. He can't play. Popovich didn't even let him play in summer league because of the injury.

2) The Spurs have gotten burned in the past by their players playing in international competition. Manu Ginobili got hurt playing for Argentina and messed up his ankle, really hurting the Spurs in 08-09.

3) DeJaun Blair has no ACL's. His knees won't last very long. The Spurs have to save him for games that matter to them.
Brook Lopez pulled out

Please call him:

1) Dejuan Blair has a calf strain. He can't play. Popovich didn't even let him play in summer league because of the injury.

2) The Spurs have gotten burned in the past by their players playing in international competition. Manu Ginobili got hurt playing for Argentina and messed up his ankle, really hurting the Spurs in 08-09.

3) DeJaun Blair has no ACL's. His knees won't last very long. The Spurs have to save him for games that matter to them.

ya I guess your right. Its just guys that are NCAA standouts fair well in International Ball. He would be a great option IMO if he was healthy, but I guess he will have to struggle with his knees the rest of his NBA career.
Scola can't miss for Argentina. 35 points
Yeah, he's been NUTS throughout this entire tournament.

Barbosa should be ashamed for getting locked up in the 4th by Carlos freakin Delfino.
Originally posted by Jigga:

Barbosa should be ashamed for getting locked up in the 4th by Carlos freakin Delfino.

Damn, I wish I coulda watched this game. Great matchup.

Scola's one of those guys that I think could score a lot more in the NBA if he wanted to. His back to the basket game is top notch.

yeah it will be a tough match up if the USA plays Arg in the semis. I'm hoping we will have enough to beat Russia by 20 in the quarters.

Originally posted by LA9erFan:

Damn, I wish I coulda watched this game. Great matchup.

Scola's one of those guys that I think could score a lot more in the NBA if he wanted to. His back to the basket game is top notch.

Brook Lopez pulled out

Shawn Kemp did not.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Brook Lopez pulled out

Shawn Kemp did not.

Scola can't miss for Argentina. 35 points

Watched Brazil -Argentine There has to be a couple of guys at least we could use!!! Awesome!! Barbosa and Garcia from Brazil are great players.
Russia vs America tomorrow!
Share 49ersWebzone