LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

USC sanctioned by NCAA - 2 year post-season ban

Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
college athletes should be paid .

They are . . . it's called a scholarship.

Not enough. They generate billions

How much would you pay each college athlete per year?
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by foreign49er:

I'm not saying they should all get mansions or Bentleys.

But they should have some sort of trust fund that gives them a portion of the revenue that they helped generate. This is particularly important for the athletes that do not go on to have million dollar careers like John Wall or Reggie Bush.

Also, I think it's absolutely RIDICULOUS that college superstars cannot negotiate their own marketing deals.

Superstars like Tim Tebow or John Wall in college should be able to sign deals with Adidas or Nike or Gatorade IN COLLEGE to market themselves.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
All college athletes should be free to pursue their own marketing, sponsorship deals just like professional athletes.

Right now the NCAA and schools are making ALL the video game revenue, sponsorship money and all that crap.

While the students earn nothing.

And then the NCAA complain when a student wants to get paid for their talent....
Originally posted by foreign49er:

I'm not saying they should all get mansions or Bentleys.

But they should have some sort of trust fund that gives them a portion of the revenue that they helped generate. This is particularly important for the athletes that do not go on to have million dollar careers like John Wall or Reggie Bush.

Also, I think it's absolutely RIDICULOUS that college superstars cannot negotiate their own marketing deals.

Superstars like Tim Tebow or John Wall in college should be able to sign deals with Adidas or Nike or Gatorade IN COLLEGE to market themselves.

I think the athletes that don't have huge athletic careers are given all the tools to have successful careers in other fields just like everybody else who attends college. Most of these private Universities cost 40,000-80,000 per year (including housing/meal-plans/etc.) nowadays, I don't think these kids need more than that per year to live off in their college careers.

I like your idea about a trust-fund of some sort that becomes available when they graduate or something though. I don't have a problem with the marketing but I understand that these schools want their athletes concentrating on athletics and academics, nothing else (not that they are, but they should be).
I've seen Patrick Christopher on Telegraph driving a reallyyy nice car, can't remember if it was a Mercedes though

skeptical teeohh was skeptical
Share 49ersWebzone