There are 56 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Stephen Strasburg really the next Nolan Ryan?

Is Stephen Strasburg really the next Nolan Ryan?

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Hey...Ron saw Pud Galvin play. Did you?

Saw him pitch? He taught him how to pitch!
wow, everyone really needs to stop overreacting. Wait until major leaguers see it come out of his hand a couple times. It's BRAND new, after 30 starts there will be ample scouting reports etc, and then we'll see how he does.
What was awesome though was ESPN showed 12 of his strikeouts and all 12 were swinging strike 3... pretty awesome
LOL. I know someone who coached him as a youngster. Said he was the sissy of the team.

Not for nothing, but I am definitely going to pay attention when it looks like some mental toughness is needed.
Wouldn't mental toughness be needed for such an occasion as your MLB debut?
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

Not when you're facing the Pirates

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Jun 9, 2010 at 14:44:25 ]
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

yep. And Hey, I am not going to sit here and pretend any of the Star Athletes I respect did not have their own adolescent angst. I just happen to be aware of some specifics with this guy.

other examples could be being in a game 7.......or getting clobbered early and fighting back.
Originally posted by danimal:
LOL. I know someone who coached him as a youngster. Said he was the sissy of the team.

Not for nothing, but I am definitely going to pay attention when it looks like some mental toughness is needed.

He was also an overweight kid who almost got cut from the SD State team for not passing the conditioning test.

I'd rather have a guy like Strasburg, who's had to overcome some things, than a guy like LeBron James who's been worshipped since he was a sophomore in HS.
He's going to be really good, that much is obvious. Nolan Ryan is a high bar to set for this kid after one start though.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by danimal:

He was also an overweight kid who almost got cut from the SD State team for not passing the conditioning test.

I'd rather have a guy like Strasburg, who's had to overcome some things, than a guy like LeBron James who's been worshipped since he was a sophomore in HS.

Good Point. The premise of what I hear is that he was a bit of a Mommy's Boy. While sometimes this manifests itself oddly for a boy at the age of 15......at the age of 25, usually Men are more stable when they have close bonds with their Moms.

Just thought I would share is all. And hey my source is not exactly unbiased, his sons baseball days all ended in High School.....so what if maybe his kids were a bit more reliable on the diamond in those days.....the Big Show is a completely different world. Maybe just a little bit of jealousy there
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
He's going to be really good, that much is obvious. Nolan Ryan is a high bar to set for this kid after one start though.

Yes of course. However, the 101 MPH fastball and the knee buckling curve certainly leads to comparisons like that. The thing is.. Nolan Ryan never had this kids control.
Originally posted by strickac:
He's for real. Kurt Schilling has been saying that Stras is going to be the best pitcher in the league from the moment he throws his first pitch. That seemed far-fetched, but with his impressive debut, Schilling may be right.

Stras is throwing 100 mph curve balls. Few pros can ever get that kind of speed with their best fastball. Now, I don't know if I'd compare him to Ryan. Ryan implies longevity and that's not something you can predict from a young guy. If Stas has a long career, he'd probably draw comparisons to Randy Johnson. Stras has the talent to become the best pitcher to ever play the game. Hopefully he can stay healthy...

LOL. wow....Kurt Schilling with a K and 100 mph curveballs. dudes got baseball knowledge like no other!
Strasburg who?

Why no love for Mike Leake of Cincinnati Reds? First pitcher to go from College straight to the majors.

He hasn't lost a game yet (5-0) and has a 2.68 ERA.

Leake played on the same travel team as Strasburg when they were 11, according to Leake, Strasburg was an overweight crybaby, lol.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Strasburg who?

Why no love for Mike Leake of Cincinnati Reds? First pitcher to go from College straight to the majors.

He hasn't lost a game yet (5-0) and has a 2.68 ERA.

Leake played on the same travel team as Strasburg when they were 11, according to Leake, Strasburg was an overweight crybaby, lol.

Leake got roped today but lucky for him the reds came back. Should have been a loss
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Good 1st game but yeah it was against the pathetic Pirates, let not crown him yet

Well... this team did score 3 runs against Timmy and only stuck out 6 times compared to 14 yesterday. Obviously they arent a great team but that should not take anything away from his effort.

Timmy still struggling though, Sanchez struck em out 11 times.

Pirates stink.

Sanchez lead all of baseball last year in K's per 9 innings after the AS break. He can K people when he is on. We all know that the Pirates arent great. It just seems like some people in here are looking for ways to diminish what this kid did last night. I dont care who you are pitching against. When you face a MLB team in your first start and K 14 guys and walk NO ONE its pretty damn impressive.

We are all saying he had a good game, we just wanna see him do it, i dunno, maybe more than once before calling him the next Nolan Ryan