There are 217 users in the forums

Is Stephen Strasburg really the next Nolan Ryan?

Is Stephen Strasburg really the next Nolan Ryan?

Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
this guy's the real fckin deal. 14 strikeouts in his first MLB start? shiettttttt

He has the best stuff I have ever seen from a rookie pitcher and I have been watching baseball for many years. As much as I love Timmy his stuff pales compared to this kid.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
holy f**king s**t. This guy is the Lebron James of baseball. Comes right in and delivers
Originally posted by crzy:
holy f**king s**t. This guy is the Lebron James of baseball. Comes right in and delivers

I cant stand it when athletes are crowned prematurely. Granted he was very good today, but he needs to show he can be great consistently. He and Harper both have just been hyped by the media machine to extremes.
He was very good at San Diego State. One of the best they ever had. It's too early to say what he will be in the pros but it's obvious he has tons of talent.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

I cant stand it when athletes are crowned prematurely. Granted he was very good today, but he needs to show he can be great consistently. He and Harper both have just been hyped by the media machine to extremes.

Hey, every #1 pick in every sport is the same way.

It just makes it sweeter when they actually meet the expectations like Lebron or Peyton Manning.

And that much worse when they're Alex Smith or Jamarcus Russell

[ Edited by crzy on Jun 8, 2010 at 23:01:54 ]
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

Hey, every #1 pick in every sport is the same way.

It just makes it sweeter when they actually meet the expectations like Lebron or Peyton Manning.

And that much worse when they're Alex Smith or Jamarcus Russell

no one in any baseball draft has been hyped as much as Strasburg or Harper.
Interesting stats I saw posted on an mb

"According to baseball-reference.com, no P has ever struck out 14+ batters on so few pitches. Javier Vazquez threw 96 pitches on 4/9/03."

Just dominating.
He was pitching against the Pirates.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
No. Better. Nolan Ryan with control.

Nolan Ryan was the Jerry Rice of pitching.

no he wasnt. he was really good, but not GOAT good. not even close.
before everyone nuts in their pants over this guy, remember nobody has ever faced him before. thats a HUGE advantage for the pitcher.

even the most modest of rookie pitchers can dominate lineups of hitters who have never faced the guy before. give it some time. Strasburg has the pure stuff to dominate for the next year or so until the NL has seen him enough to develop a good strategy against him. THEN we can find out if he can still get people out.

anyone remember Kerry Wood's 5th career start against the Astros? a 20 k CG shutout. flithy stuff+never seen it before=dominance

if in 3 years Strasburg is still fooling batters, you can go crazy over him.

Originally posted by TheChozen:
He was pitching against the Pirates.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He was very good at San Diego State. One of the best they ever had. It's too early to say what he will be in the pros but it's obvious he has tons of talent.

I went to one of his games at SDSU dude is special. His next start after i went he threw 23 K's. I wanted to see that.

A lot of pitcher come in and deliver on their first start.
He's for real. Kurt Schilling has been saying that Stras is going to be the best pitcher in the league from the moment he throws his first pitch. That seemed far-fetched, but with his impressive debut, Schilling may be right.

Stras is throwing 100 mph curve balls. Few pros can ever get that kind of speed with their best fastball. Now, I don't know if I'd compare him to Ryan. Ryan implies longevity and that's not something you can predict from a young guy. If Stas has a long career, he'd probably draw comparisons to Randy Johnson. Stras has the talent to become the best pitcher to ever play the game. Hopefully he can stay healthy...
Originally posted by strickac:
He's for real. Kurt Schilling has been saying that Stras is going to be the best pitcher in the league from the moment he throws his first pitch. That seemed far-fetched, but with his impressive debut, Schilling may be right.

Stras is throwing 100 mph curve balls. Few pros can ever get that kind of speed with their best fastball. Now, I don't know if I'd compare him to Ryan. Ryan implies longevity and that's not something you can predict from a young guy. If Stas has a long career, he'd probably draw comparisons to Randy Johnson. Stras has the talent to become the best pitcher to ever play the game. Hopefully he can stay healthy...

lol
Share 49ersWebzone