There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Stephen Strasburg really the next Nolan Ryan?

Is Stephen Strasburg really the next Nolan Ryan?

TJ for him already? Sucks for him.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
For every Mark Prior there are many MORE guys who have come back better than ever from TJ surgery. Mariano Rivera, John Smoltz, Liriano, Ryan Dempster, Tim Hudson, Billy Wagner, Chris Carpenter, Josh Johnson, Rafael Soriano... all elite pitchers at some point after their surgery and at least 2 Hall of Famers.

There are just WAY more examples of guys who came back strong compared to the one big name (Prior) who didnt.

But Mark Prior never had Tommy John surgery. His shoulder was what gave him problems throughout his career. One of the big reasons why people compare Strasburg to Prior is because they both had the "inverted W" mechanics, creating more load on the shoulder.

Quote:

For Strasburg to have any chance of pitching more than 5 years he's got to change his arm action and get rid of the Inverted W. He also needs to ditch the slider because that is an absolute killer of the elbows. Changing his arm action may knock 5 or so MPH off of his velocity, but that's what it's going to take to reduce the load on his arm.

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/baseball/pitching/professionalpitcheranalyses/StephenStrasburg.html

Obviously, it's big news that someone as young and dynamic as Strasburg is having TJ surgery at such an early stage of his career, but I don't think the shoulder strain he suffered earlier this season should be taken lightly. My point is, even if Strasburg's elbow comes back better than ever, something's got to be done about the shoulder issue.
  • BigRon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
For every Mark Prior there are many MORE guys who have come back better than ever from TJ surgery. Mariano Rivera, John Smoltz, Liriano, Ryan Dempster, Tim Hudson, Billy Wagner, Chris Carpenter, Josh Johnson, Rafael Soriano... all elite pitchers at some point after their surgery and at least 2 Hall of Famers.

There are just WAY more examples of guys who came back strong compared to the one big name (Prior) who didnt.

But Mark Prior never had Tommy John surgery. His shoulder was what gave him problems throughout his career. One of the big reasons why people compare Strasburg to Prior is because they both had the "inverted W" mechanics, creating more load on the shoulder.

Quote:

For Strasburg to have any chance of pitching more than 5 years he's got to change his arm action and get rid of the Inverted W. He also needs to ditch the slider because that is an absolute killer of the elbows. Changing his arm action may knock 5 or so MPH off of his velocity, but that's what it's going to take to reduce the load on his arm.

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/baseball/pitching/professionalpitcheranalyses/StephenStrasburg.html

Obviously, it's big news that someone as young and dynamic as Strasburg is having TJ surgery at such an early stage of his career, but I don't think the shoulder strain he suffered earlier this season should be taken lightly. My point is, even if Strasburg's elbow comes back better than ever, something's got to be done about the shoulder issue.

What will he be like in 2 years. That is what it will take for him to get back to the bigs with confidence.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
TJ for him already? Sucks for him.

Hate to hear that. I hate to see anyone get hurt.
Originally posted by BigRon:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:

Quote:

What will he be like in 2 years. That is what it will take for him to get back to the bigs with confidence.

I agree. It will probably be 2012 before he is really confident to let the ball fly and be a success. However, it generally takes about 1 year now to make it back to the mound so its quite possible he could be back by the end of next season.
This is just plain bad.

Hopefully everything works out for him.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
This is just plain bad.

I think his elbow will be just fine. Josh Johnson is just a great example of how pitchers come back even better after TJ surgery. Now.. how is shoulder holds up for the long haul may be another story.

I know some people love to see a hyped kid fail but I really do hope Strasburg is able to come back strong. He is good for the game of baseball.
FFuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc.....
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
This is just plain bad.

I think his elbow will be just fine. Josh Johnson is just a great example of how pitchers come back even better after TJ surgery. Now.. how is shoulder holds up for the long haul may be another story.

I know some people love to see a hyped kid fail but I really do hope Strasburg is able to come back strong. He is good for the game of baseball.

Yeah, but this was after JJ pitched 40 MLB games, not 8. JJ also has quite a bit of size on Stras, which is why he's so durable, the dude is a beat.

Not that I'm saying he won't come back from this, because I agree and think he will, but this is just a terrible way to start off your professional career. I definitely feel bad for the kid.
sucks for him but dont feel bad for a dude who will make a GUARANTEED 15 million for only having pitched 8 games!
Wow...that sucks. But, looking at his mechanics it was inevitable. It just looked like he was killing his arm.
  • crzy
  • Veteran
That's f**king depressing. I hate it when GREATNESS is cut short by injury
Originally posted by crzy:
That's f**king depressing. I hate it when GREATNESS is cut short by injury

I think ppl hyped him too much too early. One of the biggest aspects of GREATNESS is being able to stay injury-prone.
Overrated?
Originally posted by pelos21:
Overrated?

nope