There are 52 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Stephen Strasburg really the next Nolan Ryan?

Is Stephen Strasburg really the next Nolan Ryan?

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Uh, ouch.

4.1 IP, 6 H, 6 ER, 1 HR.

Maybe should have stayed on the DL.

All pitchers can have bad games. Im sure you are watching the reigning back to back CY winner getting hammered by a team that has lost 11 of their last 12 and has given a splash HR to a slug like f**kadome

yah, but this guy is supposed to be jesus in cleats
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Uh, ouch.

4.1 IP, 6 H, 6 ER, 1 HR.

All pitchers can have bad games. Im sure you are watching the reigning back to back CY winner getting hammered by a team that has lost 11 of their last 12 and has given a splash HR to a slug like f**kadome

haha so true
Uh, ouch.

4.1 IP, 6 H, 6 ER, 1 HR.

lol i think we should all pitch in and buy john a Strasburg jersey. hes spent so much time defending and praising him this year, youd think they were related. you cant make one critical remark about him without john jumping in and yelling "blasphemy!"
Twitter is saying Strasburg hurt his elbow

http://natsinsider.blogspot.com/2010/08/strasburg-pulled-in-5th-with-injury.html

[ Edited by TheNaitch on Aug 21, 2010 at 18:04:40 ]
I feel bad for him, has potential to be a great pitcher but injuries are hitting him really young.

I hated him because of the hype but I don't wanna see him get hurt.

lol

im not laughing at him being injured, that picture just looks funny
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
I feel bad for him, has potential to be a great pitcher but injuries are hitting him really young.

I hated him because of the hype but I don't wanna see him get hurt.

same here
Washington.... shut him down now, you are going nowhere this year
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Uh, ouch.

4.1 IP, 6 H, 6 ER, 1 HR.

haha so true

the next mark prior you mean, inverted w mechanics FTL
Originally posted by AC49er:
Washington.... shut him down now, you are going nowhere this year

This x10000. He's going Prior already and he's barely pitched in the majors.
I think this kid will be good. I hope he is that good. But nobody is the next Ryan. Nolan was a freak.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
I think this kid will be good. I hope he is that good. But nobody is the next Ryan. Nolan was a freak.

The one thing that Ryan had ahead of all others was the ability to stay healthy and throw hard for a long long time. I dont think he was ever the best pitcher in any season he pitched but he could be incredibly dominant in a given start. That is shown by his 7 no hitters and his strike out totals.

Strasburg has the god given ability to be even better than Ryan. Will injuries keep him from achieving that? Quite possibly. If he can stay healthy, I think the sky is the limit.

Interesting stats from Jason Stark today:

IN history of baseball only 4 pitchers with 10+ starts have ever had a better K to baserunner ratio than Strasburg. Strasburg struck out 92 batters and just allowed 73 baserunners. The 4 are:

Pedro Martinez
Randy Johnson
Sandy Koufax
Johann Santana

Another interesting stat:
In history of baseball for pitchers with 10+ starts only 2 pitchers have ever had a higher K to batters faced ratio than Strasburg. He struck out 33.6% of all batters he faced. The two better?

Pedro Martinez and Randy Johnson. Not even the great Sandy Koufax and Nolan Ryan had better #'s in 1 year.

The point is.. there should be no denying that this kid is absolutely special. Let's hope he can avoid the injuries although I'm sure there will be many that root for him to get hurt so they can say I told you he was just like Mark Prior.
Nolan Ryan never went to the DL for extensive periods of time. Nolan Ryan was throwing 95 mph fastballs.... at age 45!

There will NEVER be another Nolan Ryan.