There are 201 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Stephen Strasburg really the next Nolan Ryan?

Is Stephen Strasburg really the next Nolan Ryan?

Originally posted by DynastyChile:
My buddy who pitches at SC and who i think is pretty reliable source of info when it comes to this stuff says that Felix Hernandez had pretty much the same stuff coming out, and that when big leaguers are able to scout him and see his pitches come out of his hands a few times, EVERYTHING changes. After his first 30 starts is when you start seeing what he can become.

What do you guys think about that?

Dontrelle Willis agrees.
Tough break Steven. The ump couldn't save you tonight even though he kept trying to give you everything.
Originally posted by TheChozen:
Tough break Steven. The ump couldn't save you tonight even though he kept trying to give you everything.

man he was getting some ridiculous calls tonightKarma for the TIgers game i guess.

Eat my dick Strasburg
Originally posted by valrod33:

man he was getting some ridiculous calls tonightKarma for the TIgers game i guess.

Eat my dick Strasburg

He was. Some of those calls were turrible. The ump was all on his nutsack. Huddy kept getting squeezed too.

Eat my dick Strasburg

Only as an appetizer though... lil Smokey's aren't too filling

Eat my dick Strasburg

Only as an appetizer though... lil Smokey's aren't too filling
Seriously.. anyone who watches this kid throw and doesnt already realize that has incredible stuff and command knows nothing about baseball or pitching. He wasnt awesome tonight but still good enough to throw 6 shutout innings against the division leading team. There isnt a pitcher in baseball throwing under as much of a microcope as Strasburg yet he contines to pitch well each time out.

Val.. go eat Hansen's dick. You know the one who got shelled again last time out.

pitch f/x doesn't agree with you.

Strasburg got no help from his defense or his bullpen and didn't have his best stuff but still pitched great. There's no question Strasburg is a stud, you just have to hope he stays healthy.
He's still more of a Mark Prior to me unless he goes a few injury-free years.
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
He's still more of a Mark Prior to me unless he goes a few injury-free years.

speaking of Prior...
Mark Prior To Audition For MLB Teams
its fun to speculate about how great he looks, but until hes logged a couple full seasons when the book is out on him, dont bother getting too serious about what his HOF plaque will say.

just as his HS and college scouting report reported, when balls find holes, and he gets bad breaks with errors and such, he gets flustered. whether or not he can correct this will be what decides if he becomes consistently great, or hot and cold.

Matt Cain has a stone cold demeanor on the mound. errors? bad calls? lucky bloop hits? no run support? youd never know from looking at him. he pitches with confidence and keeps his composure at all times. and even off the field he doesnt say a word. doesnt complain, doesnt point fingers, doesnt even feel sorry for himself. if Strasburg can become like that, he will be an all time great as long as hes healthy.

however, this happens to be his weakness, and it will plague him until he overcomes it. Mark Prior had this same issue. its not just the stuff thats getting him compared to Prior. anyone remember the Bartman play?

also, a 100 mph fastball is awesome, but if he loses command of his offspeed stuff, it wont even matter. major league hitters arent impressed by 100 mph fastballs if you dont have something else up your sleeve that you can throw for strikes. otherwise its all a matter of starting early, and letting the pitcher provide the power.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

pitch f/x doesn't agree with you.

Strasburg got no help from his defense or his bullpen and didn't have his best stuff but still pitched great. There's no question Strasburg is a stud, you just have to hope he stays healthy.

I watched the game. I saw the ump's calls. The ump helped him out big time. Those pitching graphics aren't exact anyways. There are plenty of calls that are strikes that show up as balls on those pitching graphics. I don't put any faith at all in those things.

[ Edited by TheChozen on Jun 29, 2010 at 06:19:11 ]
John, Hanson can kiss my ass right now that a*****e is pitching like s**t.

Strasburg was getting favorable calls last night. Hudson would make the exact same pitch as Strasburg and it would be a ball but Strasburg got the strike

Strasburg can eat my lil smokie
I'll give Strasburg some credit. He's gonna be a stud but don't take anything away from other MLB teams and players. Right now, he's just a small fish in a big pond. He's faced one team with a winning record and got beat. Say what you will about the Nats offense but Tim Hudson pitched awesome too(yeah, he was in the game too.) I just think its too early to carve his bust in Cooperstown yet.
I'll give Strasburg some credit. He's gonna be a stud but don't take anything away from other MLB teams and players. Right now, he's just a small fish in a big pond. He's faced one team with a winning record and got beat. Say what you will about the Nats offense but Tim Hudson pitched awesome too(yeah, he was in the game too.) I just think its too early to carve his bust in Cooperstown yet.

Of course its too early to put him in Cooperstown but there is no doubt in my mind that he is a top 10 pitcher already in the majors. He is going to get beat like every pitcher in history has especially playing with the Nats. The guy he is compared to in this thread barely won more games that he lost.

Here is a good question. How many teams in all of baseball wouldnt trade their #1 Sp for Strasburg? Can you name 3? I cant. 2? I still cant.