There are 274 users in the forums

Is Stephen Strasburg really the next Nolan Ryan?

Is Stephen Strasburg really the next Nolan Ryan?

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
yes

and Brennan Boesch is the next Al Kaline

No. Maybe the next Ryan Nolan.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Nolan Ryan threw smoke for almost 25 years, since this guy has been in the majors a few weeks, I think everyone is jumping the gun.
Originally posted by BobS:
Nolan Ryan threw smoke for almost 25 years, since this guy has been in the majors a few weeks, I think everyone is jumping the gun.

Nah. Comparing him to Roger Clemens would be jumping the gun.
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
My buddy who pitches at SC and who i think is pretty reliable source of info when it comes to this stuff says that Felix Hernandez had pretty much the same stuff coming out, and that when big leaguers are able to scout him and see his pitches come out of his hands a few times, EVERYTHING changes. After his first 30 starts is when you start seeing what he can become.

What do you guys think about that?

thank you.

strasburgs biggest knock was his ability to stay cool under pressure, and pitch through bad luck/errors. being able to do that well is a HUGE part of being successful in the majors. when youre dealing to minor leaguers you dont encounter much hardship. it all changes when big league hitters adjust to your stuff.
He's looking human today against the Braves, but still... 0 ER in the 5th inning aginst the Braves as of now.
This is the first time I've seen him at length. His curveball isn't working, and he's still making guys look overmatched. This dude has Satan's fastball. He's throwing 98 MPH and it's tailing away from hitters. GTFO. Wow.
I do believe tonight,against us, is the first time he's faced a team with a winning record.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
This is the first time I've seen him at length. His curveball isn't working, and he's still making guys look overmatched. This dude has Satan's fastball. He's throwing 98 MPH and it's tailing away from hitters. GTFO. Wow.

Too bad he's on a s**t team. His fastball is f**king nasty.
He got the hook....he's gassed.

Originally posted by HaiGuise:

His defense did him no favors in that inning.

OMG..... the debacle is still on.

Originally posted by DynastyChile:
My buddy who pitches at SC and who i think is pretty reliable source of info when it comes to this stuff says that Felix Hernandez had pretty much the same stuff coming out, and that when big leaguers are able to scout him and see his pitches come out of his hands a few times, EVERYTHING changes. After his first 30 starts is when you start seeing what he can become.

What do you guys think about that?

Dontrelle Willis agrees.
Tough break Steven. The ump couldn't save you tonight even though he kept trying to give you everything.
Share 49ersWebzone