LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

In any era, HoF or not, Who is/was the best shooter (not scorer) of all time ?

In any era, HoF or not, Who is/was the best shooter (not scorer) of all time ?

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Bird, Maravich, and Rick Barry were obviously good shooters.

But it's difficult to evaluate their shooting ability relative to the modern game since the three point line was adopted in 79-80, and wasn't really used much until the mid-late 80s.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Maravich's most amazing feat is that he averaged 44 ppg in college without a three point line
Surprised that Reggie Miller has no votes, so far..
Originally posted by nicedraw94080:

Originally posted by vrabbit:
Originally posted by nicedraw94080:

Reggie loses points for being an annoying Ferengi who chases after married women.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Larry Bird is the best I've seen.

Bird had bad form only 37% career for 3's.

Ya.. He was horrible.

We're talking about "pure" shooters. Bird was better than average but it wasn't his shooting prowess that made him who he was. Yes, he had bad form, and yes he doesn't compare to guys like Ray Allen, Dale Ellis, Drazen Petrovic. So Bird won the 3 pt contest once, so did Paul Pierce, and yet Paul was laying up bricks the other night...

Sorry but you lose any credibility when you say that Larry Bird, one of the greatest shooters in league history, had bad form. You might want to check your history books too. Bird won the 3 pt contest in 1986,1987, and 1988 and not just once.
My top 4

Ray Allen
Steve Nash
Larry Bird
Reggie Miller
peja stojakovic

Ya.. He was horrible.

We're talking about "pure" shooters. Bird was better than average but it wasn't his shooting prowess that made him who he was. Yes, he had bad form, and yes he doesn't compare to guys like Ray Allen, Dale Ellis, Drazen Petrovic. So Bird won the 3 pt contest once, so did Paul Pierce, and yet Paul was laying up bricks the other night...

Sorry but you lose any credibility when you say that Larry Bird, one of the greatest shooters in league history, had bad form. You might want to check your history books too. Bird won the 3 pt contest in 1986,1987, and 1988 and not just once.

Dude--he has BAD form--but he's used to it and that's just the way he shoots. Same with Reggie Miller and Peja Stojakovic.

He is most likely top 10, but he's not the BEST. This is all I'm arguing and this is the subject of this thread...who's the best SHOOTER of all time.

Bird career 3 point fg%: 37.6
Ray Allen career 3 point fg%: 39.6
Dale Ellis career 3 point fg%: 40.03
Reggie Miller career 3 point fg%: 39.5
Peja Stojakovic career 3 point fg%: 40.0
Glen Rice career 3 point fg%: 40.05
Steve Nash - he's gotten better with age.

He's shot over 50% from the field, 40% from 3 and 90% from the Free Throw line 4 times in a season, and was 3 made free throws away in 06-07 from doing it 5 times.

Only 5 guys in league history have done it once. Larry Bird was the only other guy to do it more than once, having done it twice.

Nash is 20 consecutive free throws made away from surpassing Mark Price as # 1 on the all-time FT% list.

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Well, the correct answer to this thread will be Stephen Curry in about 5 years

Ya.. He was horrible.

Dude--he has BAD form--but he's used to it and that's just the way he shoots. Same with Reggie Miller and Peja Stojakovic.

He is most likely top 10, but he's not the BEST. This is all I'm arguing and this is the subject of this thread...who's the best SHOOTER of all time.

Bird career 3 point fg%: 37.6
Ray Allen career 3 point fg%: 39.6
Dale Ellis career 3 point fg%: 40.03
Reggie Miller career 3 point fg%: 39.5
Peja Stojakovic career 3 point fg%: 40.0
Glen Rice career 3 point fg%: 40.05

you keep posting 3 pt fg percentages. Best shooter is gonna be all categories, Free throw, 3 point and field goal percentage. Not just 3 point
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Steve Nash - he's gotten better with age.

He's shot over 50% from the field, 40% from 3 and 90% from the Free Throw line 4 times in a season, and was 3 made free throws away in 06-07 from doing it 5 times.

Only 5 guys in league history have done it once. Larry Bird was the only other guy to do it more than once, having done it twice.
Nash is 20 consecutive free throws made away from surpassing Mark Price as # 1 on the all-time FT% list.

Tell it to the guy who thinks Bird has bad form. LOL I also agree that Steve Nash is right there at the top of the list. Just an amazing shooter.

[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Jun 8, 2010 at 13:00:18 ]
Originally posted by crzy:
Bird, Maravich, and Rick Barry were obviously good shooters.

But it's difficult to evaluate their shooting ability relative to the modern game since the three point line was adopted in 79-80, and wasn't really used much until the mid-late 80s.

The reason there is a three point line is due to the likes of Barry and Maravich. Without them, Bird, Michael, Kobe wouldn't be able to pile up the points from 3 point land.
This is a deadly list, so I'd start by removing 6 or 7 names AND adding Alex English (who I'd rank in the lower end of the top 10).
Share 49ersWebzone