There are 69 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

UPDATE: John Wooden Passes Away At 99

Originally posted by Negrodamus:
I remember ESPN had a special on Coach Wooden last year when coach read a letter he wrote for his deceased wife. I swear I do not believe in men crying but my eyes got all watery

I weep for those men that do not believe in crying.

-IWAS
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I remember ESPN had a special on Coach Wooden last year when coach read a letter he wrote for his deceased wife. I swear I do not believe in men crying but my eyes got all watery

From Wiki...

Wooden has remained devoted to Nellie, even decades after her death. Since her death, he has kept to a monthly ritual (health permitting)—on the 21st, he visits her grave, and then writes a love letter to her. After completing the letter, he places it in an envelope and adds it to a stack of similar letters that has accumulated over the years on the pillow she slept on during their life together.

Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Originally posted by LA9erFan:

From Wiki...

Wooden has remained devoted to Nellie, even decades after her death. Since her death, he has kept to a monthly ritual (health permitting)—on the 21st, he visits her grave, and then writes a love letter to her. After completing the letter, he places it in an envelope and adds it to a stack of similar letters that has accumulated over the years on the pillow she slept on during their life together.

indeed.
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:

-IWAS

keep crying

-IWAS

keep crying

I didn't mean for you. Boy's aren't considered men yet, so you still have time.
Don't know a lot about him other than the fact that he's one of the greatest basketball coaches of all-time. I respect any man who has that kind of devotion to his wife and my prayers go out to him.

-IWAS

keep crying

I didn't mean for you. Boy's aren't considered men yet, so you still have time.

hes dead
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/gallery/2010/06/03/GA2010060304369.html
[ Edited by pantstickle on Jun 3, 2010 at 7:21 PM ]
Originally posted by pantstickle:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/gallery/2010/06/03/GA2010060304369.html

[ Edited by pantstickle on Jun 3, 2010 at 19:21:42 ]

according to the 1st few lines of the article he's in the hospital but not dead.
  • BigRon
  • Veteran
He is one of those coaches that were reviled and respected at the same time by all those that truly disliked UCLA basketball in the 60's and 70's. I hope he can recover.
Originally posted by valrod33:
hes dead

Why would you post this when he clearly has not passed away yet? He is the greatest ever and in my prayers.
this is very sad my dad went to UCLA in the 60's and always talked about Wooden. Although im a UNC fan i support UCLA and im very upset about John Wooden.

The greatest coach ever!
Originally posted by AmpLee:

Ain't nothing wrong with a man crying. This machismo bulls**t has got to go.

Anyway, John Wooden has positively shaped many lives and is a man to be revered.

I agree 100%.

I saw that John Wooden special and that made me cry. The guy seems like one of the true "good guys" in this world who genuinely cares about other people. And to see his devotion to his wife, I could only wish to be so gifted as him (I mean as far as his personal characteristics, not his basketball feats).

One of these days I'll get some posters of some of his great quotes.
Originally posted by valrod33:
hes dead

WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!? He aint dead yet!
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home