There are 246 users in the forums

UPDATE: John Wooden Passes Away At 99

he was taken to UCLA medical and is in grave condition. prayers goes out to you coach.
[ Edited by Negrodamus on Jun 4, 2010 at 7:23 PM ]
Good luck, coach.
sorry i do not have the link just yet

I met Coach Wooden when I was about 13 years old, and he was already in his 80's. He lived in the same condo complex (yes, a condo) as my uncle did at that time. He was checking his mail just as I was checking it for my uncle. I couldn't believe it was him. I stammered and said, "It's a beautiful day today, huh coach?"

And he bemusedly looked at me and said, "Son, every day is a beautiful day when you're my age."

Anyway, best of luck to arguably the most iconic coaching figure in basketball history.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

They just asked David Stern about it during his annual Finals press conference.

It's now being rumor/reported that Mr. Wooden has passed away. This has not been confirmed, though.
[ Edited by StOnEy333 on Jun 3, 2010 at 5:12 PM ]
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

They just asked David Stern about it during his annual Finals press conference.

It's now being rumor/reported that Mr. Wooden has passed away. This has not been confirmed, though.

He's 4 months shy of his 100th birthday. Sharp as a tack the entire time too.
http://www.theprovince.com/news/Legendary+coach+Wooden+gravely+according+reports/3108912/story.html
Best Wishes for JoHn Wooden.
WE LOVE YOU COACH!
John Wooden quotes...

Quote:
A coach is someone who can give correction without causing resentment.

Quote:
Ability is a poor man's wealth.

Quote:
Adversity is the state in which man mostly easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then.

Quote:
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Quote:
Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights.

Quote:
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

Quote:
Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability.

Quote:
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.

Quote:
I'd rather have a lot of talent and a little experience than a lot of experience and a little talent.

Quote:
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?

^I LOVE that one.

Quote:
If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes.

Quote:
It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

Quote:
Never mistake activity for achievement.

Quote:
Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.

I remember ESPN had a special on Coach Wooden last year when coach read a letter he wrote for his deceased wife. I swear I do not believe in men crying but my eyes got all watery
I remember ESPN had a special on Coach Wooden last year when coach read a letter he wrote for his deceased wife. I swear I do not believe in men crying but my eyes got all watery

From Wiki...

Wooden has remained devoted to Nellie, even decades after her death. Since her death, he has kept to a monthly ritual (health permitting)—on the 21st, he visits her grave, and then writes a love letter to her. After completing the letter, he places it in an envelope and adds it to a stack of similar letters that has accumulated over the years on the pillow she slept on during their life together.

Fantastic Pete, Im gonna use a quote a day on my Facebook till whatever happens, happens.

He and Bill Walsh, the greatest ever.

I weep for those men that do not believe in crying.

-IWAS
Share 49ersWebzone