There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

French Open

  • 4ML
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 28,483
Federer lost in his QF match against Soldering (same guy who beat an injured Nadal in 4th round and made it to finals against Federer in 2009).

I'm upset at this. I wanted Nadal to whoop his ass in the final. Anyways, this thing is heading down to Nadal vs Soldering final now, and that will be pretty interesting too.
  • crzy
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 39,280
So is Nadal going to rank #1 if he wins?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 28,483
Originally posted by crzy:
So is Nadal going to rank #1 if he wins?

Since Federer won last year, Nadal will gain 1000 pts and Federer will lose 1000 pts (if I remember correctly, each Slam is worth 1000 pts). If you repeat, then you keep the 1000 pts from last year.

So, Fed is far ahead of Nadal at this point, but if Fed doesn't win Wimbledon (he will lose another 1000 pts) then it will be hard for him to keep no. 1
Tennis just isnt the same today as it was in earlier decades. Obviously, the fact that there isnt a great American male tennis player really hurts the interest level.

I used to love Conners-Borg, McEnroe-Conners, Agassi-Sampras, etc, etc,etc.

Hopefully American tennis will once again be great but until then its hard for me to get excited unless the finals are Nadal-Federer or somehow Roddick sneaks in.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 28,483
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Tennis just isnt the same today as it was in earlier decades. Obviously, the fact that there isnt a great American male tennis player really hurts the interest level.

I used to love Conners-Borg, McEnroe-Conners, Agassi-Sampras, etc, etc,etc.

Hopefully American tennis will once again be great but until then its hard for me to get excited unless the finals are Nadal-Federer or somehow Roddick sneaks in.

It's a little different for me, because I played the sport, but I know what you mean. I watched it a lot more durin' the 90s just because there were 4-5 players who could win it all. Today, it's mostly between Federer or Nadal - but in the last couple years, some really good young guys have come up.

Americans have 1 or 2 young players who have some promise, but no one looks like a slam winner. Sad and disappointing for American tennis. I really like Roddick, but had he played during the 90s, he wouldn't even crack the top 10.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 28,483
Originally posted by crzy:
So is Nadal going to rank #1 if he wins?

I read somewhere that Nadal will indeed be no.1 if he wins tomorrow. Solderling and Nadal looks like a pretty good match-up. I think Nadal will win but Solderling and obviously beat him as he has done that in last year's French Open.
Another tennis fan?I'd touch my racquet more often if it wasn't for uni.

Anyways, Stosur lost on the woman's side. Soderling played in a 5 setter in the semis so I wonder how much he has left in him to go up against Nadal.

-9fA
Well Nadal won. He regains his #1 ranking.

38-1 at the French

-9fA
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 28,483
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Well Nadal won. He regains his #1 ranking.

38-1 at the French

-9fA

Nadal is just ridiculous on clay. He has won all 4 big clay tournaments this year - I think that has never been done before. He is the first one to win French Open without losing a set TWICE. Couple other players had done it once, but he did it twice.

I can't wait for Wimbledon to start.