There are 185 users in the forums

The Soccer Thread 10/11

Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Wow...Messi gave the game away. How does he miss that goal? Oh well, we got an away goal - that's gonna be the important. But disappointed in Messi.

Messi did not come through.

Keep talkin boys.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Wow...Messi gave the game away. How does he miss that goal? Oh well, we got an away goal - that's gonna be the important. But disappointed in Messi.

Yes, he missed two easy chances. Oh well, I feel pretty confident. Away goal was huge.

Yes, he missed two easy chances. Oh well, I feel pretty confident. Away goal was huge.

+1

Have to give props to Arsenal (my inner White Lane is VERY upset about saying that) for taking advantage of a slacking Barça backline...no bueño
  • NickV
  • Veteran
I owe an apology to all the gunner fans in here.

I was very very veryyyyyyyyy impressed with their effort in the 2nd half. They basically wrote the book on how to beat Barca. Defend and hit em on the counter attack.

Who know what would have happened if Messi scored on his little flick over the keeper.

Im gonna get some crow now
  • NickV
  • Veteran
As for my game!!!

vs

Who: SL Benfica x VfB Stuttgart
What: UEFA Europa League Round of 32 - Leg 1
When: 17 February 2011
Where: Estadio da Luz - Lisbon, Portugal

Originally posted by NickV:

I was very very veryyyyyyyyy impressed with their effort in the 2nd half. They basically wrote the book on how to beat Barca. Defend and hit em on the counter attack.

Who know what would have happened if Messi scored on his little flick over the keeper.

Exactly. That's the way to beat Barca. Barca passes and controls the ball in a well orchestrated system. But, once you have it, attack immediately.

I think someone predicted the score at 2-1. Except, it was not Barca who came out om top.

I'm glad to see there are at least a few guys here who follow European football.
As for my game!!!

Who: SL Benfica x VfB Stuttgart
What: UEFA Europa League Round of 32 - Leg 1
When: 17 February 2011
Where: Estadio da Luz - Lisbon, Portugal

Stuttgart should be no problem for the Portuguese side.

The team has played very poorly this season in the Bundesliga.
[ Edited by RogerCraig on Feb 16, 2011 at 11:24 PM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

No question, Arsenal played an amazing late 2nd half, and the early parts of 1st half. But, not to take anything away from Arsenal (and they do deserve the win) - Barca's finishing was terrible. Messi should have scored at least once. Pedro had his worst game of the season.

Von Persie is one of the classiest guys, and he scored a good goal. He saw Valdes out of position, and hit a perfect strike.

Pique won't play in the 2nd game, and I'm glad. He is a great defender, but he can't defend speed. He didn't play in the 2nd leg last year as well.

But, I will say this - Barca still has the edge to go through. Barca was on the road and not at their best - and Arsenal needed a 2-0 win today to really make Barca nervous. Arsenal scored 2 goals again late in the game, just like last year.

We'll get 'em in the 2nd leg.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Exactly. That's the way to beat Barca. Barca passes and controls the ball in a well orchestrated system. But, once you have it, attack immediately.

I think someone predicted the score at 2-1. Except, it was not Barca who came out om top.

I'm glad to see there are at least a few guys here who follow European football.

Yea, I thought Barca will win 2-1, and part of me also said it could be 2-2 because I knew the kind of form Von Persie is in - he is in my fantasy team.

• 4ML
  • Veteran

We're just half way there, and were in London. Things will be very different at Camp Nou.

We're just half way there, and were in London. Things will be very different at Camp Nou.

My older son and I have been to the Camp Nou stadium. I can assure you, it will be insane. No chance of going there for the match.

Las Ramblas is going to shake.

Fans from the English side better watch themselves, because the Guardia Civil does not take too kindly to trouble makers .
[ Edited by RogerCraig on Feb 16, 2011 at 11:51 PM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 3,000 for foreign49er.
I too was impressed with Arsenal's second half display. It's going to be a very different game at the Camp Nou but I believe Barcelona fans can't help but respect the way we play. We beat them at their own game, let's see if we can do it again.

To all the Barca fans, I have a mutual (hopefully) respect for you. Our teams play the most beautiful football in all the world, I think that's one thing we can agree on. Every single goal/opportunity was pure class. IMO this tie is worthy of a Final.

[;)]

No question, Arsenal played an amazing late 2nd half, and the early parts of 1st half. But, not to take anything away from Arsenal (and they do deserve the win) - Barca's finishing was terrible. Messi should have scored at least once. Pedro had his worst game of the season.

Von Persie is one of the classiest guys, and he scored a good goal. He saw Valdes out of position, and hit a perfect strike.

Pique won't play in the 2nd game, and I'm glad. He is a great defender, but he can't defend speed. He didn't play in the 2nd leg last year as well.

But, I will say this - Barca still has the edge to go through. Barca was on the road and not at their best - and Arsenal needed a 2-0 win today to really make Barca nervous. Arsenal scored 2 goals again late in the game, just like last year.

Be careful. You're on the back-foot now and we say how dangerous Arsenal are on the counter. I think this second-leg is going to be either a blow-out or an epic. Again, this tie should be the final not he round of 16. If you love true football these are the two teams you follow IMO
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by foreign49er:

[;)]

Be careful. You're on the back-foot now and we say how dangerous Arsenal are on the counter. I think this second-leg is going to be either a blow-out or an epic. Again, this tie should be the final not he round of 16. If you love true football these are the two teams you follow IMO

Arsenal's speed did give Barcelona fits today. No question about it. I do have a lot of respect for Persie, Fab, Walcott, Nasri and co. It's always great to see these two teams go head to head. I also admit - gained a lot of respect for Arsenal today. I always liked them, I always sort of considered them a team that wants to be like Barca, but they will never get there. Today, they played great.

I do think though, even today - on the pitch - Barca was the better team. But, you gotta be more than just better to win Champions League. I'm excited about the second leg.
Share 49ersWebzone