There are 221 users in the forums

Soccer Transfers and Transfer Rumors

Originally posted by 1251alex:
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Kaka/Ibra swap?

although this is obviously just a story for a slow news day, this would be awesome if it were to happen. Barca would be unstoppable for the next 2 or 3 years and Fab would no longer be coming to the Camp Nou until Xavi couldnt do it anymore.

Don't think it'll happen. Kaka will be around for at least 1 more season to show he can turn it around. No way they give up on him that easy. Some health and continuity can go a long way.
Originally posted by 1251alex:
Kaka/Ibra swap?

although this is obviously just a story for a slow news day, this would be awesome if it were to happen. Barca would be unstoppable for the next 2 or 3 years and Fab would no longer be coming to the Camp Nou until Xavi couldnt do it anymore.

Don't think it'll happen. Kaka will be around for at least 1 more season to show he can turn it around. No way they give up on him that easy. Some health and continuity can go a long way.

agree with you 100%

Kaka was just unlucky last season and if Madrid gives up on him it would be plenty stupid. Kinda like how there are rumors that Juventus are gonna sell Diego after one unlucky season.

Diego and Kaka are f**king beasts.

Both players have been linked to moves to Chelsea.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by pelos21:
Can someone please explain to me how the Champions League works? I went too their website but it just confused me more. Is it like a league that controls the whole continent or what? I'm trying to get more into soccer so I figured what better league to watch than the Champions League.

8 groups - 32 teams - group stages - top 2 advance to knockout stage.

It runs parallel to other leagues...so teams that finish at the top (3 or 4) of their leagues (really depends on many things) like Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barca, Inter etc. play in their league and also Champions League at the same time. Just wiki search Champions League - it's easier to read it than explain how the qualifications work.

That's what I don't understand. Can you word that like in NFL terms?

Okay...I'll try:

Think of each division in the NFL as a separate league (ie. Premier League, La Liga, Serie 1 etc.) but 20 teams per league. So, the top 3-4 teams in each of the top leagues in Europe qualify for Champions League. I'm sure you know which are the top leagues (English league, Spanish league, Italian, German are the strongest).

Now, the teams that finish top 3 in Premier League, they automatically qualify for NEXT year's Champions League. Let me give you an example...Liverpool finished in the 2nd spot in 2008-2009 season of Premier League. So, they qualified for Champions League for 2009-2010 season. In 2009-2010 Premier League season - they finished 7th - so they they won't play in Champions League in 2010-2011 season (which is this year).

So, your league standing of this year will determine if you will qualify to Champions League next year or not. Teams that finish 5th-8th play in Europa League in the same fashion. So, this year - Liverpool will be playing Europa League and not the Champions League.

So, it is possible that Liverpool wins Premier League this year and yet they won't be featured in Champions League this year.

I know it's confusing.

So the better the league the more slots you get for the champions league? Do all these leagues qualify for the Champions league?
spanish la liga
italian serie a
german bundesliga
english premier league
french ligue 1
portuguese superliga
turkish league
dutch eredivisie

Is the Europa league like the B league or what? Also, when does the Champion league games come on? Thanks for the help.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Can someone please explain to me how the Champions League works? I went too their website but it just confused me more. Is it like a league that controls the whole continent or what? I'm trying to get more into soccer so I figured what better league to watch than the Champions League.

8 groups - 32 teams - group stages - top 2 advance to knockout stage.

It runs parallel to other leagues...so teams that finish at the top (3 or 4) of their leagues (really depends on many things) like Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barca, Inter etc. play in their league and also Champions League at the same time. Just wiki search Champions League - it's easier to read it than explain how the qualifications work.

That's what I don't understand. Can you word that like in NFL terms?

Okay...I'll try:

Think of each division in the NFL as a separate league (ie. Premier League, La Liga, Serie 1 etc.) but 20 teams per league. So, the top 3-4 teams in each of the top leagues in Europe qualify for Champions League. I'm sure you know which are the top leagues (English league, Spanish league, Italian, German are the strongest).

Now, the teams that finish top 3 in Premier League, they automatically qualify for NEXT year's Champions League. Let me give you an example...Liverpool finished in the 2nd spot in 2008-2009 season of Premier League. So, they qualified for Champions League for 2009-2010 season. In 2009-2010 Premier League season - they finished 7th - so they they won't play in Champions League in 2010-2011 season (which is this year).

So, your league standing of this year will determine if you will qualify to Champions League next year or not. Teams that finish 5th-8th play in Europa League in the same fashion. So, this year - Liverpool will be playing Europa League and not the Champions League.

So, it is possible that Liverpool wins Premier League this year and yet they won't be featured in Champions League this year.

I know it's confusing.

So the better the league the more slots you get for the champions league? Do all these leagues qualify for the Champions league?
spanish la liga
italian serie a
german bundesliga
english premier league
french ligue 1
portuguese superliga
turkish league
dutch eredivisie

Is the Europa league like the B league or what? Also, when does the Champion league games come on? Thanks for the help.

Top three leagues currently are EPL, La Liga, and Bundesliga. The top 3 leagues get maximum of 4 teams in the Champions League. Top 3 automatically qualify and the 4th one has to play in qualification round. The next 3 teams in those leagues (ie. team finishing in 5th, 6th, and 7th spot) are qualified for Europa League.

If you search UEFA Coefficient - you will be able to find more on this.

So, you can see - Europa League is not competed among top teams but teams that finish just below them.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Here - I got you the link for UEFA Coefficient

Link
Here - I got you the link for UEFA Coefficient

Link

Thanks brotha.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Cesc and Barca agree to terms on a 5 year contract for 7mil/year

C'mon Arsenal - let the man go!

Link

Top three leagues currently are EPL, La Liga, and Serie A. The top 3 leagues get maximum of 4 teams in the Champions League. Top 3 automatically qualify and the 4th one has to play in qualification round. The next 3 teams in those leagues (ie. team finishing in 5th, 6th, and 7th spot) are qualified for Europa League.

If you search UEFA Coefficient - you will be able to find more on this.

So, you can see - Europa League is not competed among top teams but teams that finish just below them.

fixed.

With Inter winning the champions league, the Italian league kept the 4th spot. I guess something good came out of those stupid asses winning the CL.
  • dman
  • Veteran

Link

Against the rules if true.
Originally posted by dman:

Link

Haven't seen it confirmed or mentioned anywhere else.

• dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Originally posted by dman:

Link

Haven't seen it confirmed or mentioned anywhere else.

Goal.com just quotes articles from the tabloids ... its most likely bull****
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Apparently Benfica turned down a offer from Chelsea worth about 32 mil for David Luiz.

He also got called up to the Brazilian national team. Told you guys he would make it.
Originally posted by NickV:
Apparently Benfica turned down a offer from Chelsea worth about 32 mil for David Luiz.

He also got called up to the Brazilian national team. Told you guys he would make it.

• NickV
  • Veteran
Ramires set to move to Chelsea

^^ He's been on the way out for a while now though.

Also.... Torres staying at Anfield.
Share 49ersWebzone