There are 219 users in the forums

NBA Playoffs Conference Finals: #1 Lakers vs #3Suns Thread

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Even with Lopez back, Amare would have to guard either Gasol or Bynum, both of whom give him fits. You guys also don't have anyone who gives Kobe too difficult of a time either. I think it's a really tough matchup for Phoenix, even if Lopez comes back. You're asking him to come back in the heat of the playoffs after not playing for over a month, and he has to deal with a huge front line. Tough task.

I've gained a lot of respect for the Suns this year, but I just think that the matchup issues are too much to overcome.

Perhaps, but this is a different Suns team than the one the Lakers faced in November and December. We're tougher defensively (Amare included; even Frye has looked like a competent post defender lately), our bench is playing with more confidence (Our bench absolutely demolished most of San Antonio's starters in the 4th quarter of that pivotal game 3) and Jason Richardson has been the dependable 3rd scoring option we've needed.

The only game I think will be comparable to how this series will play out is the March 12th game. That was a very competitive game, and Phoenix lead briefly in the 4th, despite Lopez's worst game as a starter.

My honest opinion? Lakers in 7. There are mismatches on both sides of the ball, and I think 2 or 3 of the games will be down to the wire, last possession type games. If a few bounces go Phoenix's way, I could see the Suns in 6.

[ Edited by TheSixthRing on May 12, 2010 at 09:21:42 ]
Even with Lopez back, Amare would have to guard either Gasol or Bynum, both of whom give him fits. You guys also don't have anyone who gives Kobe too difficult of a time either. I think it's a really tough matchup for Phoenix, even if Lopez comes back. You're asking him to come back in the heat of the playoffs after not playing for over a month, and he has to deal with a huge front line. Tough task.

I've gained a lot of respect for the Suns this year, but I just think that the matchup issues are too much to overcome.

you forgot about the parts of the game when your bench plays, which was the key facot in the Spurs series.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

Perhaps, but this is a different Suns team than the one the Lakers faced in November and December. We're tougher defensively (Amare included; even Frye has looked like a competent post defender lately), our bench is playing with more confidence (Our bench absolutely demolished most of San Antonio's starters in the 4th quarter of that pivotal game 3) and Jason Richardson has been the dependable 3rd scoring option we've needed.

The only game I think will be comparable to how this series will play out is the March 12th game. That was a very competitive game, and Phoenix lead briefly in the 4th, despite Lopez's worst game as a starter.

My honest opinion? Lakers in 7. There are mismatches on both sides of the ball, and I think 2 or 3 of the games will be down to the wire, last possession type games. If a few bounces go Phoenix's way, I could see the Suns in 6.

What are your guys' matchup advantages, in your opinion? Nash is one of the few opposing PGs where if I picture Derek Fisher guarding him, I don't absolutely cringe because he relies more on guile than athleticism. I agree about the bench though. I think Dudley & Barbosa are HUGELY important for the Suns in this series.

What are your guys' matchup advantages, in your opinion? Nash is one of the few opposing PGs where if I picture Derek Fisher guarding him, I don't absolutely cringe because he relies more on guile than athleticism. I agree about the bench though. I think Dudley & Barbosa are HUGELY important for the Suns in this series.

1) I don't think Bynum or Gasol have the lateral quickness to deal with Amare. With Frye camped out at the 3, it will drag one of the two out of the paint.

2) I disagree that Fisher will be able to guard Nash effectively. Yes, Nash relies on guile and craftiness, but nobody in the league does it better. His shot accuracy is 2nd to none, so Fisher doesn't have the luxury to play off him. Likewise, Fisher is one of the PGs I see and don't immediately think about how he'll be able to take advantage of Nash's defensive deficiencies.

3) Our bench vs your bench. Odom might be your biggest advantage in the series, but the Suns run 10 deep. Dudley, Amundson and Dragic are very good defenders. Lou might be a bit small to guard Pau or Bynum, but the White Ranger has deceptive leaping ability. Channing Frye will need to continue to hit the 3 like he did against the Spurs.

4) Outside shooting. We have it. You don't. The Spurs were also lacking in that department.

Like I said previously, I think this will be a very interesting series. Gentry is optimistic Lopez will be available for game 1, which is huge for us. If we can get 15-20 minutes of decent play out of him, he can give us the size we need to match-up during crucial times of the game, and if the Lake show want to go Bynum/Pau/Odom, we can match with Lopez/Amare/Frye.

Monday can't come soon enough!

1) I don't think Bynum or Gasol have the lateral quickness to deal with Amare. With Frye camped out at the 3, it will drag one of the two out of the paint.

2) I disagree that Fisher will be able to guard Nash effectively. Yes, Nash relies on guile and craftiness, but nobody in the league does it better. His shot accuracy is 2nd to none, so Fisher doesn't have the luxury to play off him. Likewise, Fisher is one of the PGs I see and don't immediately think about how he'll be able to take advantage of Nash's defensive deficiencies.

3) Our bench vs your bench. Odom might be your biggest advantage in the series, but the Suns run 10 deep. Dudley, Amundson and Dragic are very good defenders. Lou might be a bit small to guard Pau or Bynum, but the White Ranger has deceptive leaping ability. Channing Frye will need to continue to hit the 3 like he did against the Spurs.

4) Outside shooting. We have it. You don't. The Spurs were also lacking in that department.

Like I said previously, I think this will be a very interesting series. Gentry is optimistic Lopez will be available for game 1, which is huge for us. If we can get 15-20 minutes of decent play out of him, he can give us the size we need to match-up during crucial times of the game, and if the Lake show want to go Bynum/Pau/Odom, we can match with Lopez/Amare/Frye.

1) I disagree here about Amare vs. Gasol/Bynum. They're quick enough to not get burned too badly by his quickness, and have the length to bother his shots. I see him as a similar (albeit better) player to Boozer, and they typically do very well against those guys due to length. Amare usually has issues with those two on both ends, and I don't think that'll change. And while Frye does pull a big behind the line, I'm not worried about him at all as a post defender. You say he's improved, so we'll see.

2) Good point about Fisher not being able to exploit Nash. That does cover a big deficiency. I agree with you that Nash is better than anyone at using guile, but that's pretty much Fisher's only asset. It's still a clear win in your favor, I just don't think Nash exploits Fisher's biggest weaknesses the way that most PGs do.

3) Can't argue with anything here.

4) I don't think that's really the matchup. I think the matchups are how well you shoot threes vs. how well we defend them, and vice versa. It's kinda like saying that there's a Peyton Manning vs. Drew Brees matchup. We guard the 3 point line as well as anyone in the league. That will be a fun matchup to watch.

1) I disagree here about Amare vs. Gasol/Bynum. They're quick enough to not get burned too badly by his quickness, and have the length to bother his shots. I see him as a similar (albeit better) player to Boozer, and they typically do very well against those guys due to length. Amare usually has issues with those two on both ends, and I don't think that'll change. And while Frye does pull a big behind the line, I'm not worried about him at all as a post defender. You say he's improved, so we'll see.

2) Good point about Fisher not being able to exploit Nash. That does cover a big deficiency. I agree with you that Nash is better than anyone at using guile, but that's pretty much Fisher's only asset. It's still a clear win in your favor, I just don't think Nash exploits Fisher's biggest weaknesses the way that most PGs do.

3) Can't argue with anything here.

4) I don't think that's really the matchup. I think the matchups are how well you shoot threes vs. how well we defend them, and vice versa. It's kinda like saying that there's a Peyton Manning vs. Drew Brees matchup. We guard the 3 point line as well as anyone in the league. That will be a fun matchup to watch.

1) Gasol's athletic ability is HIGHLY under rated and he can definitely stay with Amare close enough to allow his length to affect or even block Amare. However, Every time Phoenix starters went to the pick and roll against the Spurs was when we got torched. The pick and roll will come, which means Amare will have Fisher unless they don't switch which means Nash better not hesitate to shoot it.

1a) I'm sure we will see WAY more of Odom on Amare with Bynum getting less minutes this series and I don't see Amare dominating against Odom. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see Artest on Amare.

2) NEVER, EVER, EVER underestimate Fisher against a slower. Fisher is the King of physical play on a PG: see young J. Will, young Parker...He will crowd and bump Nash like crazy and get away with it for the most part. Also do not underestimate his ability to play the pick and roll and understand where Nash is looking to pass and take away that lane: VETERAN! The Lakers have not played the pick and roll well in the past but this will be veteran wit against veteran wit and I give the edge to Fisher unless Nash gets into aggressive mode in terms of offense.

3) The bench will be HUGE as Odom will be getting more minutes, basically, making him a starter. What will be interesting will be if Phoenix's bench will determine Phil's rotation.

4) If the Lakers go big, then they won't defend the three well at all make or miss. Of course, Odom will play major minutes which means they Will defend the three well but I don't see anyone disrupting Channing Frye's shot.
Let it be known that while the Lakers might be favored to win it on paper, it is the Suns who are favored to win it in the hearts of the general public, worldwide.

• dman
  • Veteran
^^^

Let it be known that while the Lakers might be favored to win it on paper, it is the Suns who are favored to win it in the hearts of the general public, worldwide.

That's awesome! lol
Originally posted by NinerFanMT:

That's awesome! lol

Nice Photoshop.

Game 1 has the potential to be a really strange game. I don't think I've ever seen a matchup where both teams had 8 days off.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

That's awesome! lol

Nice Photoshop.

Read it and weep, holmes

Does it really surprise you? People are tired of seeing the Lakers in the Finals, and this is a really, really likable Suns team. Even the Spurs were happy to see us sweep them.
I really hope Sixth hasn't convinced himself they're getting past us. I know that sounds like the homer in me thinking we're invinsible, but it's not. We can be beat, but I really don't see the suns as the ones to do it.

That's awesome! lol

Nice Photoshop.

Read it and weep, holmes

Does it really surprise you? People are tired of seeing the Lakers in the Finals, and this is a really, really likable Suns team. Even the Spurs were happy to see us sweep them.

I can't see that link cuz I'm on my phone, but when I voted on it at home an hour ago the lakers were ahead 65% to 35%. Not sure if it's the same one, but I found it on the sportsnation NBA section asking who was going to win.

That's awesome! lol

Nice Photoshop.

Read it and weep, holmes

I can't see that link cuz I'm on my phone, but when I voted on it at home an hour ago the lakers were ahead 65% to 35%. Not sure if it's the same one, but I found it on the sportsnation NBA section asking who was going to win.

Ahh, so it's just your reading comprehension that's failing you.
Share 49ersWebzone