LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

NBA Playoffs R2: #3 Suns vs #7 Spurs Thread

Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Originally posted by crzy:
I think they only look better defensively because they played a crippled Blazers teams and an aging Spurs team

Points allowed per 100 posessions
2007 Suns 106.4 (13th of 30)
2010 Suns 110.2 (23rd of 30)

I think you need to look at the defensive numbers from February on out - we were atrocious in December and January. Our defense turned around completely once we made Robin Lopez a starter.

Post All-Star Defense (according to hoopsstats.com) :

3rd in Opponent FG %
7th in Defensive Efficiency
10th in Opponent 3pt %
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lazy:
Amare'2010>>Amare'07

Amare is a much better now, than he was in 2007.

lol he was coming off his injury in 2007

Amare 2005 >>>>> Amare 2010. You know Amare averaged 30/10 in the 2005 playoffs with some ridiculous performances?
That's so ridiculously wrong. Amare didn't play any defense. I would take Amare this year's Amare over 2005 in a heart beat.
how many points did Duncan have against Amare in that same series?

In 2004-2005, Amare played 61% of his minutes at center and gave up 18.0 PER to opposing centers (20.5 PPG/13.7 RPG).

In 2009-2010, Amare played 59% of his minutes at PF and gave up 18.8 PER to opposing power forwards (22.8 PPG/11.1 RPG).

Basically, the difference between 2005 Amare and 2010 Amare defensively is negligible.

But the difference between 2005 Amare and 2010 Amare offensively is huge.
Look who's back on the Amare bandwagon!
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Ok, let's resume this debate about whether the 2010 Suns are better than the 2007 Suns after the Suns get eliminated next round.

The 2007 Suns were a couple stupid suspensions away from winning the NBA championship.
Ok, let's resume this debate about whether the 2010 Suns are better than the 2007 Suns after the Suns get eliminated next round.

The 2007 Suns were a couple stupid suspensions away from winning the NBA championship.

Joe Johnson was better than any third option they have now. Barbosa was great off the benchback then. 2010 may be a little taller and can spread the floor with those Frye at the three (reminds me of a more athletic Okur) but if they face LA, LA is ven taller than any team the 2007 Suns played which makes them being better this year moot. Nash was MVP and playing much better in 07. I think the 2010 bench is what makes it close but if you expectthem to keep it up against a tall Lakers team, it won't happen. Just move aside and let the big boys play in the Finals because a small team will not win a Championship.
Duncan and Manu combined with their half court defense at least gives a team a punchers chance against the Lakers.

Putting the Suns there is like Manny fighting Lennox Lewis. He may get a little power punch in but he would never have a chance.

There's a reason why Lakers fans would rather see the Suns over the Spurs.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Joe Johnson was better than any third option they have now. Barbosa was great off the benchback then. 2010 may be a little taller and can spread the floor with those Frye at the three (reminds me of a more athletic Okur) but if they face LA, LA is ven taller than any team the 2007 Suns played which makes them being better this year moot. Nash was MVP and playing much better in 07. I think the 2010 bench is what makes it close but if you expectthem to keep it up against a tall Lakers team, it won't happen. Just move aside and let the big boys play in the Finals because a small team will not win a Championship.

Joe Johnson was a Hawk in 07.

Aw Hell, I'm a year late. Then I would have to go with 2010 Suns. They had the floor so spread out in the 4th AND had the rebounders in the game where it had the Spurs running around in circles.

However, there's a HUGE difference between Pop and Phil. Phil will force you to make adjustments and force you to have the pressure to keep making your jumpers along with keeping it to only one shot per possession. Pop keeps trying to coach a reactive/defensive style rather than attacking on offense and getting rebounders in the game. He seems to panic the instant a 3-pointer is made.

Also, Derreck Fisher will bump Nash all over the court and never get called for a foul except for one game in the series after which Phil will complain about the refs and then it will be made up in the next game. Nash will be completely out of his game or they will just stick Kobe on him and send Nash to offensive Siberia. Now combine this with Odom locking down on Amare and Artest taking on any wing man who is hot that you have and you have a blowout.

They have size AND quickness everywhere. You won't get second chance points that Pop is allowing you to have by going small because Phil rarely goes small.

HUGE difference is that if Phil doesn't want to play small ball, he just puts Kobe on Nash and you guys are canceled.

[ Edited by Joecool on May 6, 2010 at 11:50:09 ]
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Amare'2010>>Amare'07

Amare is a much better now, than he was in 2007.

lol he was coming off his injury in 2007

Amare 2005 >>>>> Amare 2010. You know Amare averaged 30/10 in the 2005 playoffs with some ridiculous performances?
That's so ridiculously wrong. Amare didn't play any defense. I would take Amare this year's Amare over 2005 in a heart beat.
how many points did Duncan have against Amare in that same series?

In 2004-2005, Amare played 61% of his minutes at center and gave up 18.0 PER to opposing centers (20.5 PPG/13.7 RPG).

In 2009-2010, Amare played 59% of his minutes at PF and gave up 18.8 PER to opposing power forwards (22.8 PPG/11.1 RPG).

Basically, the difference between 2005 Amare and 2010 Amare defensively is negligible.

But the difference between 2005 Amare and 2010 Amare offensively is huge.
I don't what the hell PER means but the biggest difference is that I'm not seeing amare watch ginobili fly by him for layups like he did back in 2005.
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Look who's back on the Amare bandwagon!
He had me at hello!
I wanted Amare to do something other than score....and I've been pleasantly surprised

Aw Hell, I'm a year late. Then I would have to go with 2010 Suns. They had the floor so spread out in the 4th AND had the rebounders in the game where it had the Spurs running around in circles.

However, there's a HUGE difference between Pop and Phil. Phil will force you to make adjustments and force you to have the pressure to keep making your jumpers along with keeping it to only one shot per possession. Pop keeps trying to coach a reactive/defensive style rather than attacking on offense and getting rebounders in the game. He seems to panic the instant a 3-pointer is made.

Also, Derreck Fisher will bump Nash all over the court and never get called for a foul except for one game in the series after which Phil will complain about the refs and then it will be made up in the next game. Nash will be completely out of his game or they will just stick Kobe on him and send Nash to offensive Siberia. Now combine this with Odom locking down on Amare and Artest taking on any wing man who is hot that you have and you have a blowout.

They have size AND quickness everywhere. You won't get second chance points that Pop is allowing you to have by going small because Phil rarely goes small.

HUGE difference is that if Phil doesn't want to play small ball, he just puts Kobe on Nash and you guys are canceled.

2 years late, actually...

And again, I think it's still way too early to talk WCFs, but if Robin Lopez can come back and play at 100% by the time that comes around, I think it will make an interesting series.

[ Edited by TheSixthRing on May 6, 2010 at 11:55:52 ]
  • lazy
  • Veteran

Joe, why is Duncan having such a hard time scoring on Channing Frye? Does Frye's length bother him?

2 years late, actually...

And again, I think it's still way too early to talk WCFs, but if Robin Lopez can come back and play at 100% by the time that comes around, I think it will make an interesting series.

We won't know anything about this series until after Game 4, when the pressure begins to pile on. If we stop your second chance points and keep your FG down, then we got you but Pop gots to stop trying to Shut your jump shooters down because that is leading to us not protecting the rim.

As the first two games usually are, momentum is with home team now. We won't know how this series will end up until Game 5. If we go 2-2 and you close out game 5 with a win, then it's yours and you guys better not play p***y ball against Fisher's bumping, but then again, most teams can't match the Lakers physicality which is why I would rather want to see Manu then Amare against them. Manu is one physical mofo.
Originally posted by valrod33:

Photoshop....
Share 49ersWebzone