There are 134 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

**OFFICIAL Sacramento Kings Off Season Thread**

I like the potential we have at the big men spots. Landry/JT with either a rookie or a free agent, then you've got Brockman and May -- both FA's -- to possibly add depth.

Hawes would really have to do some work this summer to get in "my" Kings rotation.
Originally posted by SacRock14:
A cool read from JT's blog. http://fullcourtpress.kingsconnect.com/archives/6151

I love his attitude. The way he finished the season and the way he dedicates himself to getting better, I'm sure he'll come back stronger next season.

Some of the excerpts...

Quote:
Some coaches will coach real well during the game but you don’t have that much of a relationship with them outside of practices and games. Coach Westphal, though, from the beginning of the year, has opened the door for anybody. So we talk to him rather than saying it in the paper, to another coach or player, and letting the word out that way. He’s real straightforward with us, so for the most part our end of the season meetings weren’t things that are that much of a shock to hear, because if you talk to someone like that on a consistent basis you know what’s going on.

He’s a player’s coach.

Quote:
This summer Shareef is going to come out to Philly with me. We’re going to take a 40-minute drive out to Princeton to meet Coach Carril, and for about two weeks we’ll work out together. The coaches aren’t just helpful in Sac, but everywhere — we’re like a family all over the country.

In May, I’m going to head out to visit Omri in Israel for a week. Then, Dontè is going to come with Francisco and me, and we’re going to go to the Dominican Republic for a week in July. Later in the summer, I’m going to France for a little bit, so I’m going to do some traveling outside of the country and just go on vacation. The only time I’ve been outside of the country was to China for basketball, so my trips will be more for just relaxing and pleasure — I’m just going to try to enjoy myself.

Quote:
Looking ahead to Vegas Summer League, I don’t know if I’ll be playing this year. We’ll see, but I will be in Vegas to work out with the guys and meet some of our new players because that’s just how I am – always team-oriented and want to know guys early on rather than later.

Quote:
What stands out about this season was just how loyal the fans were.

I really enjoy being in Sacramento. Hopefully, I’m here in 10-plus years when I retire, but you never know because it’s a business. The fans are loyal whether I’m in ARCO, at an appearance, out on the street or shopping or something like that — fans are real respectful and real loving. Even though our year was up and down, they were always there for us. It makes it exciting for me to work even harder this summer because if we have a shot to make it to the Playoffs, we know how crazy Sacramento can be.

I just love the fans.

Niiiice. To be honest with you I can't help but feel like if we don't draft a PF that JT should be the starter over Landry with Landry coming in as the 6th man. If JT could consistently play like he started the season and ended it he'd be a starter for sure and we'd be a good team with a little extra draft help.
Originally posted by Super9er81:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
What is there to discuss? That ROY will be stolen from Reke, we'll get the worst pick possible(5th or 6th), etc? I have hope we'll do well in the draft but nothing ever seems to go our way.

Well hopefully like last year, we may get the wost spot possible but come away with the best player

Seriously. Memphis decided that they'll take Thabeet instead, and OKC said, "nah, I'd rather have JAMES FREAKING HARDEN next to Westbrook in the backcourt instead of Tyreke Evans." (that f**kin' kills me) I'd say that was a pretty big break.

As for what the Kings should do...

1) Don't overpay. This is a seller's market since there are a ton of teams with cap space. Just because you have cap space doesn't mean that you have to spend it. This free agent class isn't nearly as good as people are making it out to be. There are a handful of top guys, but almost no mid-tier guys. Hold on to your money and use it to pry a good player away from a team that's trying to create cap space via trade.

2) Draft Ed Davis. He's going to be a very good defensive player in the league, and has the size that you guys lack in terms of wide bodies. If not him, try to trade down and take Ekpe Udoh. Evans is a ball-dominant player (and deserves to be), and you need off-the-ball talent to compliment him.

Ed Davis? In the top 3-4? I could see the possibility if we were drafting a few picks later but I'd guess we'll be looking at Cousins and Favors where we expect to be.

For some reason I thought you guys would be picking lower. I agree with Cousins or Favors over Davis.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by SacRock14:
A cool read from JT's blog. http://fullcourtpress.kingsconnect.com/archives/6151

I love his attitude. The way he finished the season and the way he dedicates himself to getting better, I'm sure he'll come back stronger next season.

Some of the excerpts...

Quote:
Some coaches will coach real well during the game but you don’t have that much of a relationship with them outside of practices and games. Coach Westphal, though, from the beginning of the year, has opened the door for anybody. So we talk to him rather than saying it in the paper, to another coach or player, and letting the word out that way. He’s real straightforward with us, so for the most part our end of the season meetings weren’t things that are that much of a shock to hear, because if you talk to someone like that on a consistent basis you know what’s going on.

He’s a player’s coach.

Quote:
This summer Shareef is going to come out to Philly with me. We’re going to take a 40-minute drive out to Princeton to meet Coach Carril, and for about two weeks we’ll work out together. The coaches aren’t just helpful in Sac, but everywhere — we’re like a family all over the country.

In May, I’m going to head out to visit Omri in Israel for a week. Then, Dontè is going to come with Francisco and me, and we’re going to go to the Dominican Republic for a week in July. Later in the summer, I’m going to France for a little bit, so I’m going to do some traveling outside of the country and just go on vacation. The only time I’ve been outside of the country was to China for basketball, so my trips will be more for just relaxing and pleasure — I’m just going to try to enjoy myself.

Quote:
Looking ahead to Vegas Summer League, I don’t know if I’ll be playing this year. We’ll see, but I will be in Vegas to work out with the guys and meet some of our new players because that’s just how I am – always team-oriented and want to know guys early on rather than later.

Quote:
What stands out about this season was just how loyal the fans were.

I really enjoy being in Sacramento. Hopefully, I’m here in 10-plus years when I retire, but you never know because it’s a business. The fans are loyal whether I’m in ARCO, at an appearance, out on the street or shopping or something like that — fans are real respectful and real loving. Even though our year was up and down, they were always there for us. It makes it exciting for me to work even harder this summer because if we have a shot to make it to the Playoffs, we know how crazy Sacramento can be.

I just love the fans.

Niiiice. To be honest with you I can't help but feel like if we don't draft a PF that JT should be the starter over Landry with Landry coming in as the 6th man. If JT could consistently play like he started the season and ended it he'd be a starter for sure and we'd be a good team with a little extra draft help.

Why not have the best of both worlds?

JT and Landry played extremely well together. Landry, to me, is a lock as a starter. And JT really adapted to the center spot.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Super9er81:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
What is there to discuss? That ROY will be stolen from Reke, we'll get the worst pick possible(5th or 6th), etc? I have hope we'll do well in the draft but nothing ever seems to go our way.

Well hopefully like last year, we may get the wost spot possible but come away with the best player

Seriously. Memphis decided that they'll take Thabeet instead, and OKC said, "nah, I'd rather have JAMES FREAKING HARDEN next to Westbrook in the backcourt instead of Tyreke Evans." (that f**kin' kills me) I'd say that was a pretty big break.

As for what the Kings should do...

1) Don't overpay. This is a seller's market since there are a ton of teams with cap space. Just because you have cap space doesn't mean that you have to spend it. This free agent class isn't nearly as good as people are making it out to be. There are a handful of top guys, but almost no mid-tier guys. Hold on to your money and use it to pry a good player away from a team that's trying to create cap space via trade.

2) Draft Ed Davis. He's going to be a very good defensive player in the league, and has the size that you guys lack in terms of wide bodies. If not him, try to trade down and take Ekpe Udoh. Evans is a ball-dominant player (and deserves to be), and you need off-the-ball talent to compliment him.

Ed Davis? In the top 3-4? I could see the possibility if we were drafting a few picks later but I'd guess we'll be looking at Cousins and Favors where we expect to be.

For some reason I thought you guys would be picking lower. I agree with Cousins or Favors over Davis.

Gotcha. Just curious if you had to choose between the two which would you prefer?
Originally posted by SacRock14:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by SacRock14:
A cool read from JT's blog. http://fullcourtpress.kingsconnect.com/archives/6151

I love his attitude. The way he finished the season and the way he dedicates himself to getting better, I'm sure he'll come back stronger next season.

Some of the excerpts...

Quote:
Some coaches will coach real well during the game but you don’t have that much of a relationship with them outside of practices and games. Coach Westphal, though, from the beginning of the year, has opened the door for anybody. So we talk to him rather than saying it in the paper, to another coach or player, and letting the word out that way. He’s real straightforward with us, so for the most part our end of the season meetings weren’t things that are that much of a shock to hear, because if you talk to someone like that on a consistent basis you know what’s going on.

He’s a player’s coach.

Quote:
This summer Shareef is going to come out to Philly with me. We’re going to take a 40-minute drive out to Princeton to meet Coach Carril, and for about two weeks we’ll work out together. The coaches aren’t just helpful in Sac, but everywhere — we’re like a family all over the country.

In May, I’m going to head out to visit Omri in Israel for a week. Then, Dontè is going to come with Francisco and me, and we’re going to go to the Dominican Republic for a week in July. Later in the summer, I’m going to France for a little bit, so I’m going to do some traveling outside of the country and just go on vacation. The only time I’ve been outside of the country was to China for basketball, so my trips will be more for just relaxing and pleasure — I’m just going to try to enjoy myself.

Quote:
Looking ahead to Vegas Summer League, I don’t know if I’ll be playing this year. We’ll see, but I will be in Vegas to work out with the guys and meet some of our new players because that’s just how I am – always team-oriented and want to know guys early on rather than later.

Quote:
What stands out about this season was just how loyal the fans were.

I really enjoy being in Sacramento. Hopefully, I’m here in 10-plus years when I retire, but you never know because it’s a business. The fans are loyal whether I’m in ARCO, at an appearance, out on the street or shopping or something like that — fans are real respectful and real loving. Even though our year was up and down, they were always there for us. It makes it exciting for me to work even harder this summer because if we have a shot to make it to the Playoffs, we know how crazy Sacramento can be.

I just love the fans.

Niiiice. To be honest with you I can't help but feel like if we don't draft a PF that JT should be the starter over Landry with Landry coming in as the 6th man. If JT could consistently play like he started the season and ended it he'd be a starter for sure and we'd be a good team with a little extra draft help.

Why not have the best of both worlds?

JT and Landry played extremely well together. Landry, to me, is a lock as a starter. And JT really adapted to the center spot.

I don't disagree that they played alright together, but I don't think they're the long term solution. Not enough defense there to work for an extended amount of time as I see it. They'll get killed by the big front lines of the league.
When the ROY announced?
Originally posted by marshniners24:
When the ROY announced?

Not soon enough. They don't have a schedule of when they announce them, they want it to be a real surprise or something like that.
Originally posted by Super9er81:
Originally posted by marshniners24:
When the ROY announced?

Not soon enough. They don't have a schedule of when they announce them, they want it to be a real surprise or something like that.

beginning of next week at latest I believe. Today is a possibility
Looks like Reke is ROY. Multiple sources reporting it will be announced Thursday.

LINK
Originally posted by SacRock14:
Looks like Reke is ROY. Multiple sources reporting it will be announced Thursday.

LINK

I could have told you that.
Originally posted by SacRock14:
Looks like Reke is ROY. Multiple sources reporting it will be announced Thursday.

LINK

Yeeeeeyeeeeee
lol, thats the whole reason they have the unpredictable schedule of releasing the award winners. Guess they couldn't keep everyone quiet.
My YouTube tangents usually end up at a Jason Williams highlight reel.
I will post this here since I was too lazy to look for a general NBA season thread.

Only Kobe and Lebron put up 20-5-5 this year. We already know the company Tyreke is in with rookies who have 20-5-5. Now, if this guy improves in terms of controlling a game like the other two, where do you, even non-Kings fans, see the Kings in 2 more years?

Has a team with a player near the top 5 caliber in the league ever been bad? Do you see the Kings challenging for the Finals in two years because that's what usually happens to teams when they get a guy who can control the game like Evans can?