There are 180 users in the forums

All TIME MLB Draft: BirdmanJr is UP. Fincham11 is ON DECK

Its about time someone took Ty Cobb!!!!! Top 10er that fell hard...
  • dman
  • Veteran
Still on the board?!

Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Ty Cobb

b*****d!
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
IIRC, Bonds has the best single season, era-adjusted OPS of all-time. I probably would have taken him first too.

Yeah, you're definitely on point. He set the walks record and home run record in the same year I think.

And I don't remember if it was the same season that you're referring to, but I know he had an OB% of over .600 once. That's some video game s**t right there.

When Bonds was like 42 he had a .500 OB% for a good portion of the season
Originally posted by dman:
Still on the board?!

Thanks for ruining my 2nd round steal!
With the 20th pick in the draft, the Pirates select the best catcher of all time, Johnny Bench.

is on the clock.
FUK!!!!!! I was sure he would have made it all the way up to my pick!
Originally posted by SacRock14:
Originally posted by Hollywood49er:
Any idea how the sim looks at different eras?

Is a guy from the 19th century going to have his stats looked at differently?

Thats exactly what I was about to ask....anybody know the answer??

I was going to keep this under wraps, but if you take a look at some of the WhatIf ratings, I think the pitching is completely out of whack. Guys from way back with their insane statistics are valued much higher than pitching stars of our era.

The hitting is more balanced.

Yeah, all of the top pitchers are from 1880-1900.

I think part of the reason for that is because they pitched so many damn games back then - if you look at value, it's mostly determined by number of games played in a given season, and not necessarily the quality of play in that given season.

That said, I think we should impose a "no player or season before 1901" rule, as that was the first year the AL was recognized as a "major league".

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Someone drafted McGwire? lol

You're damn right they did
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

I was going to keep this under wraps, but if you take a look at some of the WhatIf ratings, I think the pitching is completely out of whack. Guys from way back with their insane statistics are valued much higher than pitching stars of our era.

I think part of the reason for that is because they pitched so many damn games back then - if you look at value, it's mostly determined by number of games played in a given season, and not necessarily the quality of play in that given season.

That said, I think we should impose a "no player or season before 1901" rule, as that was the first year the AL was recognized as a "major league".

I like that rule.

Agreed.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
DONE.

NO SEASON before 1901 is recognized. You must draft only twentieth and twenty-first century players.

[ Edited by crzy on Apr 9, 2010 at 10:33:58 ]
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

I like that rule.

What about players that played both before and after 1901?

There's one big one that I'm thinking of.
Share 49ersWebzone