Originally posted by AC49er:
Im liking Spain's chances this year

KNEW IT!!!
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by stever:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Still have no clue WHY, they took von Brockhorst out....he had been nails all game long.

Now I have some controversy here. The free kick right before the Iniesta goal....the Schneider free kick outside the penalty box, richeched off of Fabregas's back....instead of a corner kick, Spain was awarded the Goal kick....that led to the winning goal.

That is controversy there, that will not be talked about.

Umm...but that didn't lead to the winning goal. Dutch should have cleared the ball, but gave Fab a chance to pass to Iniesta. Dutch should have been awarded a corner, but not awarding it didn't lead to the goal.

It was a free kick, set piece, that went off of Cesc's back. Goal kick ball goes down to the Dutch side....goal.

Wasn't Eliah on the left wing and got doubled and lost the ball prior to the goal ? It may have been a foul on Elias, but i think the freekick was a little earlier.

Im 95% sure ... I have to re-watch it...

But Congrats to Spain....first time a team that lost their first game in groups, wins the Cup....so many 1-0 games for them....they certainly kept it interesting.

Just watched it again. It wasn't off the goal-kick.
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:

You are all invited.

My personal slogan: "Better looking women. Significantly less AIDS."

I'll def. be coming to Brazil in 4 years!!!

I've been wanting to have the WC in Brazil for a while now. FINALLY FIFA DID THE RIGHT THING
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:
f**k Spain. Lucky SOBs...Netherlands is far a better team.

Ohh well, back to real football now finally.

Dutch were lucky to not have 10 men for most of the game.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:

You are all invited.

My personal slogan: "Better looking women. Significantly less AIDS."

I'll def. be coming to Brazil in 4 years!!!

I've been wanting to have the WC in Brazil for a while now. FINALLY FIFA DID THE RIGHT THING

I'll be there for sure also. Actually most of my family will also since we have relatives in Rio.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Well if we had to lose at least it was to the eventual champs and our neighbors. congratz Spain. We will be taking your Euro trophy in 2 years. Until then enjoy it.
Originally posted by NickV:
Well if we had to lose at least it was to the eventual champs and our neighbors. congratz Spain. We will be taking your Euro trophy in 2 years. Until then enjoy it.

Sorry bro, Portugal has little chance at Euro 2012. Germany looks very very strong, and Spain is still young enough to have another go at Euro and WC 2014. People are not realizing, Spain's best player was injured for most of this WC and Fabregas is another player who will start on any other team but this team. Jesus Navas and Silva are 2 other players who will start on most WC squads. This team's bench is one of the best I've seen in recent times.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickV:

Sorry bro, Portugal has little chance at Euro 2012. Germany looks very very strong, and Spain is still young enough to have another go at Euro and WC 2014. People are not realizing, Spain's best player was injured for most of this WC and Fabregas is another player who will start on any other team but this team. Jesus Navas and Silva are 2 other players who will start on most WC squads. This team's bench is one of the best I've seen in recent times.

Let me inform you about the influx of young talent coming to Portugal this coming Euro.

Carvalho and Deco will retire from the squad. Both gave us great runs and will be missed. Then we have our bright youngsters Ricardo Vaz Te, Yannick Djalo and Bruno Gama coming to the selecção and the best young LB in this world cup Fabio Coentrao. Also Ricardo Quaresma, the wild card, has stated that he will work harder than ever (I hope) to return to his old form. We had the best defense I have ever seen in my 22 years of watching Portuguese football and it took a offsides goal by Villa to beat us.

Not only that our two best players were missing also. Im sure you recognize the names Bosingwa and Nani? Two positions that were a rotating door in the starting line up this WC. Without Nani, Ronaldo tried too do too much. Danny will be better as well as Hugo Almeida taking over the striker position full time.

I hope we play them again. Hell i want to play Germany again after they CHEATED us in euro 08

Our future is just as bright. FORCA!
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Also watch some Everton games this coming season and look out for Joao Silva. He tore up the Portuguese second division and didnt get a chance to sign with the big 3 (Benfica, Porto, Sporting) because he played so well. Another youngster that will be on the selecção.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
ten players have also been nominated for the Golden Ball - award given to the best player of the tournament.

LINK

David Villa (Spain)
Xavi (Spain)
Andres Iniesta (Spain)
Arjen Robben (Netherlands)
Wesley Sneijder (Netherlands)
Lionel Messi (Argentina)
Mesut Ozil (Germany)
Bastian Schweinstegier (Germany)
Diego Forlan (Uruguay)
Asamoah Gyan (Ghana)

for me it comes down to Villa, Sneijder, Schweinstegier and Forlan.

Villa and Schweinsteiger have both been great, but to me it is a two man contest between Snejider and Forlan.

Of course that could change with one gam left to play.

if Forlan leads Uruguay to an upset of the Germans he may just get enough hype to win it

I very much doubt Uruguay upsets Germany.

But that wouldn't stop me thinking he is deserving of the award. He almost single handedly took Uruguay farther than anyone anticipated. That sort of performance is deserving of the golden ball.

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/forlan-gets-golden-ball-mueller-wins-golden-boot--fbintl_ap-wcup-awards.html

right on. it was between sneijder and forlan.

congrats to forlan though, he deserved it.
ten players have also been nominated for the Golden Ball - award given to the best player of the tournament.

LINK

David Villa (Spain)
Xavi (Spain)
Andres Iniesta (Spain)
Arjen Robben (Netherlands)
Wesley Sneijder (Netherlands)
Lionel Messi (Argentina)
Mesut Ozil (Germany)
Bastian Schweinstegier (Germany)
Diego Forlan (Uruguay)
Asamoah Gyan (Ghana)

for me it comes down to Villa, Sneijder, Schweinstegier and Forlan.

Villa and Schweinsteiger have both been great, but to me it is a two man contest between Snejider and Forlan.

Of course that could change with one gam left to play.

if Forlan leads Uruguay to an upset of the Germans he may just get enough hype to win it

I very much doubt Uruguay upsets Germany.

But that wouldn't stop me thinking he is deserving of the award. He almost single handedly took Uruguay farther than anyone anticipated. That sort of performance is deserving of the golden ball.

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/forlan-gets-golden-ball-mueller-wins-golden-boot--fbintl_ap-wcup-awards.html

right on. it was between sneijder and forlan.

congrats to forlan though, he deserved it.

Forlan was simply amazing he earned it.