LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

The 2010 South Africa World Cup thread

Originally posted by vrabbit:
Also looking forward to making a new version of this! (originally posted on 12/06/09)

I'll probably do that sometime after mid-may

And yes, group F is ridiculously weak

ya i disagree with a lot of that, I think I made a response when you first made it.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Also looking forward to making a new version of this! (originally posted on 12/06/09)

As it should be. World Champs get a weak group.

If I was you I'd be hoping for tough games from all 3 opponents, which is very possible. If you cruise through group play I'm not sure how 'ready' the squad will be come elimination rounds.

Group B is the 2nd weakest group, which (unlike for Italy) can be a good thing for Argentina if they can perform we'll and build some much needed confidence after their performance in qualifiers.

Group D is underrated: ghana, serbia, and australia are more than capable of giving Germany problems.

If I was you I'd be hoping for tough games from all 3 opponents, which is very possible. If you cruise through group play I'm not sure how 'ready' the squad will be come elimination rounds.

Group B is the 2nd weakest group, which (unlike for Italy) can be a good thing for Argentina if they can perform we'll and build some much needed confidence after their performance in qualifiers.

Group D is underrated: ghana, serbia, and australia are more than capable of giving Germany problems.

They will be perfectly ready if they cruise through. I have no idea what you're talking about. In fact, it will give Lippi further chance to fine tune the offense before round of 16.

And I STRONGLY disagree with your idea of Group D, Germany will have no problem with any of those squads, even thought I do have some respect for Ghana.
[ Edited by IdentityCrisis on Mar 8, 2010 at 5:04 PM ]

I definitely agree with your Group D assessment.

On the other hand, you definitely need to update your WC mock. No way Nigeria makes it to the finals, though I still agree with you that italy has the easiest route to the Finals. I don't think Brazil will be playing Spain in the round of 16, but I agree that Spain has probably the only shot at beating Brazil b/c how their 2-5-3 matches up with Brazil (not to mention their halfbacks are some of the best in the world).

With Brazil playing Druga's style of play though, I don't know if there's any team good enough to stop them overall (yeah, I know it's predictable to always put Brazil as the winning team, but just can't see any other team being better. Only team that could would be a team who defied the odds to make it, a la US in the confederations cup. We won the first half, but failed to realize you can't nurse a lead against Brazil b/c they'll murder you. Another would be Spain but Spain has to keep up their confidence)

Just curious, you think they'll do a bracket thing for the WC on ESPN like they do for March Madness? If they do, you down for a Webzone league? Also, if you redo your mock, let me know b/c even though I might not agree your insight and hard work is definitely noticed and appreciated vrabbit

Can't it be June already?

They will be perfectly ready if they cruise through. I have no idea what you're talking about. In fact, it will give Lippi further chance to fine tune the offense before round of 16.

And I STRONGLY disagree with your idea of Group D, Germany will have no problem with any of those squads, even thought I do have some respect for Ghana.

Italy will breeze through easily, not to mention won't be really challenges until the quarters, giving Lippi time to tweak his team for the matchups.

As for your Group D assessment, Germany will beat all those teams, but Ghana and Serbia both pose as competent opponents to Germany's play. here are some key points:

1. Serbia's defense got them into the WC and germany is also a strong defensive squad. Willing to put money down that it's a very low scoring contest, but Germany has way more experience.

2. Ghana poses the largest threat. They're fast, aggressive, and playing in a home-field match. Germany will most likely be ready to stop them, but don't be surprised if they open up a lead of 2-0 in the first half and end with a 2-2 tie with Germany (a la vrabbit's prediction)

3. Australia won't do sh*t and whomever can rack up the most points on them (Germany and Ghana) will hold the tie-breakers.

Looking forward to your input IdentityCrisis, I've enjoyed your soccer posts in all the soccer-related threads. Always enjoy talking with true soccer enthusiasts like u and rabbit. This place is gonna be nuts in June....

Not to mention I will be posting pics of my Team USA Altidore jersey when I get it (I got the blue one)
  • dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:

Italy will breeze through easily, not to mention won't be really challenges until the quarters, giving Lippi time to tweak his team for the matchups.

As for your Group D assessment, Germany will beat all those teams, but Ghana and Serbia both pose as competent opponents to Germany's play. here are some key points:

1. Serbia's defense got them into the WC and germany is also a strong defensive squad. Willing to put money down that it's a very low scoring contest, but Germany has way more experience.

2. Ghana poses the largest threat. They're fast, aggressive, and playing in a home-field match. Germany will most likely be ready to stop them, but don't be surprised if they open up a lead of 2-0 in the first half and end with a 2-2 tie with Germany (a la vrabbit's prediction)

3. Australia won't do sh*t and whomever can rack up the most points on them (Germany and Ghana) will hold the tie-breakers.

Looking forward to your input IdentityCrisis, I've enjoyed your soccer posts in all the soccer-related threads. Always enjoy talking with true soccer enthusiasts like u and rabbit. This place is gonna be nuts in June....

Not to mention I will be posting pics of my Team USA Altidore jersey when I get it (I got the blue one)

Originally posted by 1251alex:
I think that group A and group G are the toughest groups while Groups F and D are the weakest. anyone else agree or disagree?

I agree with Group G being the toughest and Group F being the weakest for sure.

Group A can be tough, but Mexico and Uruguay have had flop moments during qualifying so don't quite know if it's gets the "toughest" rank (South Africa does have a lot on it's plate and doesn't have the talent, even with the home-field advantage).

Group D can be challenging. Sure, Germany will sweep, but you have a Serbia team with a strong defense and a Ghana team playing in Africa, who if you watched them play show outrageous speed. Australia has had a stranglehold in the south pacific, but doesn't have the most experience with European teams. Wouldn't put it past either Ghana or Serbia to pull off some strong games against Germany and in the round of 16, especially if Ghana gets the chance in basically a homefield during an elimination game.

Looking forward to future analysis from you alex.

The flops during qualifying for Mexico were with Sven Goran Eriksson, now that Aguirre is in command their play has gotten significantly better, even winning in the U.S. against the U.S. for the first time in 11 years or so(yes, I know, both teams were using their C-teams). I also feel that Mexico's golden generation will have an impact in South Africa, every game Vela and Gio have more and more influence on Mexico's play. Also, Mexico will have at least 9 players in Europe on the squad. As for Uruguay, they just won 3-1 in Switzerland and their striker duo in Forlan and Suarez is extremely lethal, whether they have enough to advance im not sure as historically they have a losing record against Mexico and France.
It's my personal belief, of course, that if I team like italy cruises thru Paraguay, New Zealand and Slovakia (like they should) without any sort of challenge in any of those games, and then proceeds to match up against the 2nd place from a blood-battled group E (Netherlands, Denmark, Cameroon) they might get outplayed by the opposing teams intensity. I'm now saying this is what will happen, I'm saying that it's a possibility, which is why I think Italy would benefit from being challenged in group stage (and even if challenged I don't think they'll lose any games against of any of those three nations).

crazy49ers already gave some insight on why Germany MAY struggle in their group, and I think Australia (do we not remember how they were eliminated in 2006?) is being vastly underrated around here. They have a good shot at being #2 in this group.

Anyways, if y'all wanna do a bracket I'm down, and I'll definitely give you a heads up when my 2nd and final mock is up
I think that group A and group G are the toughest groups while Groups F and D are the weakest. anyone else agree or disagree?

I agree with Group G being the toughest and Group F being the weakest for sure.

Group A can be tough, but Mexico and Uruguay have had flop moments during qualifying so don't quite know if it's gets the "toughest" rank (South Africa does have a lot on it's plate and doesn't have the talent, even with the home-field advantage).

Group D can be challenging. Sure, Germany will sweep, but you have a Serbia team with a strong defense and a Ghana team playing in Africa, who if you watched them play show outrageous speed. Australia has had a stranglehold in the south pacific, but doesn't have the most experience with European teams. Wouldn't put it past either Ghana or Serbia to pull off some strong games against Germany and in the round of 16, especially if Ghana gets the chance in basically a homefield during an elimination game.

Looking forward to future analysis from you alex.

The flops during qualifying for Mexico were with Sven Goran Eriksson, now that Aguirre is in command their play has gotten significantly better, even winning in the U.S. against the U.S. for the first time in 11 years or so(yes, I know, both teams were using their C-teams). I also feel that Mexico's golden generation will have an impact in South Africa, every game Vela and Gio have more and more influence on Mexico's play. Also, Mexico will have at least 9 players in Europe on the squad. As for Uruguay, they just won 3-1 in Switzerland and their striker duo in Forlan and Suarez is extremely lethal, whether they have enough to advance im not sure as historically they have a losing record against Mexico and France.

I agree with everything in Alex's post especially the bolded part.

And thanks for the comment on the blog Alex
  • Brew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Brew:
While i am excited to watch, I can wait. I am savoring the end of 4 years of being world champs.

Give back my trophy

psh, arent you like korean or something?

yes but I was born and raised in brasil. give it back

While i am excited to watch, I can wait. I am savoring the end of 4 years of being world champs.

Give back my trophy

if Brasil can get 1st place in the Group of Death, it's very likely that they'll match up with Italy in quarters

Give back my trophy

Ahhh, I did not know that.
  • Brew
  • Veteran

Give back my trophy

if Brasil can get 1st place in the Group of Death, it's very likely that they'll match up with Italy in quarters

oh snap

Give back my trophy

oh snap

Not true, if they get second place, then they have a chance to play italy in the quarters. If they get 1st they will be on the other side of the bracket. If they get second in their group they will go against spain and the winner will likely get italy.
BRASIL! *tum-tum-tum* BRASIL! *tum-tum-tum* BRASIL!

I'm obviously excited, especially since we got such a strong group. I always find it hard to get excited in the group stage because we have been getting such weak ones lately, so to me being in a tough group is actually pretty nice! Hey, If you can't qualify in a group of 4, then you REALLY don't deserve the title.

As for the other groups, I like D and F. Group A is really weak, IMO. Today's France is nowhere near the french teams of the past WCs.
Share 49ersWebzone