There are 181 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Magic & Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

• SLICK
  • Veteran
Tonight at 8 on HBO!!!!!!

I have yet to read Jackie McMullen's book on these guys, but I heard the documentary tonight is very good, and has similar parts in it.

I remember these games growing up as a kid, and these teams HATED each other in a way that I have never seen since(closest I can compare it is to the Avalanche/Red Wings in late 90's early 2000). Magic and Bird always kept it classy with one another. Can't wait to watch this tonight!!!!!
  • SLICK
  • Veteran
Pretty good documentary. With the exception of Bird hurting his back putting in his mothers driveway(tightwad), nothing I didnt already know. Some of the passes they showed by both guys were just unreal.
"Who's dat?"
"I have no idea."
"He's taking our lunch"
lmao
Yeah they had a special relationship...really turned into close true friends. I remember Magic a few months ago talking about the day he announced he had AIDS. I believe Larry Bird was the first one to call him and offer any help he could for his good friend.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Yeah they had a special relationship...really turned into close true friends. I remember Magic a few months ago talking about the day he announced he had AIDS. I believe Larry Bird was the first one to call him and offer any help he could for his good friend.

I've long that their friendship was exaggerated. I don't know why, but I always feel like I'm being lied to when I hear about how much they care for each other.
  • SLICK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dobophile:

I've long that their friendship was exaggerated. I don't know why, but I always feel like I'm being lied to when I hear about how much they care for each other.

It didn't start that way. They never really liked each other. It was when they shot the Converse "Choose your weapon" commercial that they got to know each other off the court. And even after that, they still weren't friendly on the court. Bird finally cracked after Magic hit the Finals winner, when he said "Magic was the greatest he's even seen."
Originally posted by SLICK:
Originally posted by dobophile:

It didn't start that way. They never really liked each other. It was when they shot the Converse "Choose your weapon" commercial that they got to know each other off the court. And even after that, they still weren't friendly on the court. Bird finally cracked after Magic hit the Finals winner, when he said "Magic was the greatest he's even seen."

I know the story.
  • crzy
  • Veteran
IF anyone wants to watch this

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T654P995