LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 355 users in the forums

Official 2010 Oakland A's Thread

The power of the Tarp has not been good this year...
Game turned into a laugher.

6 runs in the 7th. Now 8-0. Pennington hit a HR, last HR hit was in late April.

Gio pitched another great game.

We OWN 2ND PLACE!!!
Josh Hamilton is hurt...time to make one last push!!!!
Why did you trade Cargo to the NL WEST!
The one good thing if you want to have a silver lining in dealing not only Gonzalez to COL and Ethier to the Dodgers, is to torment the f**k out of you guys.

Reason 10033494445 over the past 3 or so years why Davis may never be anything more than a 4th OF because of stupid BB IQ.

Down 5-3 with an out. He's on 1B. He attempts to steal, okay, but Pennington hits a single to RF. Davis dives to 2B not knowing the ball was hit and he decides to get back up and go to 3B when he realizes Pennington got a hit but where he's thrown out by a good 10 ft.

What the f**k? You can't hear the f**king ball hit and most base runners take a short glance back to the batter maybe halfway to 2B just to see if he makes contact with the ball.

So instead of 1st and 3rd or 1st and 2nd one out, it's a runner on 1B with two outs.
Originally posted by ninerpride:
The one good thing if you want to have a silver lining in dealing not only Gonzalez to COL and Ethier to the Dodgers, is to torment the f**k out of you guys.

Wait, so Cargo is 1st in Avg, 2nd in RBI, and 5th in HR??? Yeah, I know that it's the humidor, but Geez?
Trading Carlos Gonzalez should be a fireable offense.

The only good hitters connected to this team are guys they've traded away.
Yeah but again check out Gonzalez's #s on the road.

I think that's about what he'd be doing in the AL and especially at the coliseum, maybe a bit better but nowhere near what he's doing right now with COL. Look at the HR he hit TUE night at Coors against CIN, that's a warning track ball at the coliseum yet flies out at Coors.

I've said before that I'm not disputing Gonzalez is a great talent, he'd be the best player on the A's right now but he would not be a near triple crown threat in the AL like he is in the NL and at Coors.

We saw how much Gonzalez struggled his day in OAK with breaking pitches, what kinds of pitches don't really have the same effect at sea level as they do 5200 ft up in the air, breaking pitches.

Do agree with that it seems as the A's have dealt away too many hitters over the past 5 years. I've read so many A's fans who've said they can't develop good hitters?

Ethier, Swisher, Gonzalez, Suzuki, possibly add Barton to that list after the season he's having. That's five hitters since what 05 that the A's have come out of their system and three have become all stars, Suzuki could've been named an all star the past two years even though he's been in a serious funk this second half and Barton has become IMO a good bat. How many other teams in baseball over the past half decade can say they've have five good to "great" hitters come out of their system.

Ethier, we've been thru that, least A's fans have debated that deal back before 06 and I say I still make that trade knowing how valuable Bradley was the second half of 06 where he helped the A's win the AL West and was really one of the few A's hitters in the playoffs especially in the ALCS to hit at all.

Swisher? Gio has turned himself into one of the better LHs in the game and is cost controlled until 2015. DLS who at the time was the top prospect in that deal looks as he's coming around strong as a possible closer candidate in the near future, looks though less and less that he'll be a starter. Sweeney? Well he's an alright player, certainly has not developed the power as many A's fans had hoped and is a reason why the ChiSox dealt him in the Swisher deal. Still, would you do that trade all over again?

Gonzalez trade, I hated then and I hate it now. Still I don't think Gonzalez would be anything more than a .280 hitter with 20-25 HR pop if he had stayed with the A's.

People will throw out names like Pena, Cruz and Ludwick as also hitters who the A's "let go away". Really don't blame them for trading any of them. Pena it took another 3 teams for him to turn out to be the stud that the A's traded for from TEX as Giambi's replacement in 02. Cruz and Ludwick, took them what 5-6 years after the A's deal them for them to be anything sort of impact hitter.

At this time, just have to hope that the likes of Carter, Taylor, Weeks, Green, Cardenas, Brown, Doolittle, Parker, Choice, Stassi, Dixon and a few others currently in the A's system that could be here within the next 3 or so years...at least half of them make it as legit big leaguers. Can't expect all of them to be hits but just for the sake of the A's future, at least 2-3 need to be at least as good of hitters as Swisher was when he was an A.
AN had a piece a month or so ago about the whole Gonzalez "Coors" factor...

http://www.athleticsnation.com/2010/8/8/1611852/carlos-gonzalez-a-god-on-a-mountain

Interesting that Mazz was sent down to AAA. Yes he had two back to back horrible outings against the NYY last week and LAA this past Sunday but he was pitching very well going back to late June.

5 straight quality outings before those two blowups in the past week and going back to June 23rd, he had thrown 11 quality outings out of his past 12 starts.

I don't know what's going on but the speculation is that the A's brass isn't loving Mazz's cockiness or his inability to work well with Suzuki as he's been known to shake him off more so than others on the starting pitching staff.

Still he's pitched well for the past 10 or so weeks of the season, obviously the kid has some talent and if this is just yet another reason for anti Beane A's fans to bring up that Beane has totally lost it.

With this, we've all talked about who the A's would try to deal to land a bat in the offseason thru trade. Well Mazz might be the A's at least first option to deal. Now doesn't mean other teams won't be asking for a Anderson, Cahill or Gio. IMO don't know how much Mazz will honestly get you back in return unless you add better quality or quantity prospect(s) that would make teams trade for Mazz rather than a Cahill/Gio.

TEX is falling apart and the A's could've been 6 games out if they had won TUE against a bad SEA team. Still I just feel the A's don't have a good enough lineup to put any kind of winning streak together. They need to have a couple of 5 or 6 game winning streaks this month and I doubt they can do that. Unless TEX pulls a SD type collapse where they lose something like 8 or 9 games out of 10/11, there's very little shot of the A's really pulling close to be a serious scare in them even with Lee and now Hamilton down with injuries.

I don't think the pitching is gonna get any better than it was in AUG where the A's had the #1 ERA yet finished with a .500 record that month. Again a reason why I've said all along this team can't seriously compete because of the lineup they've put out this season. With games against BOS, CHW, MIN and TEX left, the schedule doesn't get easier this month either.
I don't give a s**t about his home/away splits. He's carrying the Rockies on his back. He is a star. Matt Holliday had big time home/away splits as well and although he's not quite as good, he's still proven to be an elite player away from Coors. Some of the #'s it would come down to a bit of fluke/chance as well. If Coors is making him into a star and he wouldn't be that great elsewhere than how come only Tulowitzki is approaching his numbers?

The guy is a star, face of the franchise type, no doubt about it. Yeah he wouldn't be hitting .340 in the AL and at the Coliseum but he'd still be a legit middle of the order hitter that we traded away along with a very valuable asset in Street.

We would be in first place right now if Gonzalez was on our team.

Taylor and Carter are good but flawed players, while stars aren't easy to come by and we got robbed of ours. We're going to be stuck in mediocrity/fringe playoff team unless we can develop a star out of nowhere and really fast or we trade one of our great pitchers to try and get one.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I don't give a s**t about his home/away splits. He's carrying the Rockies on his back. He is a star. Matt Holliday had big time home/away splits as well and although he's not quite as good, he's still proven to be an elite player away from Coors. Some of the #'s it would come down to a bit of fluke/chance as well. If Coors is making him into a star and he wouldn't be that great elsewhere than how come only Tulowitzki is approaching his numbers?

The guy is a star, face of the franchise type, no doubt about it. Yeah he wouldn't be hitting .340 in the AL and at the Coliseum but he'd still be a legit middle of the order hitter that we traded away along with a very valuable asset in Street.

Taylor and Carter are good but flawed players, while stars aren't easy to come by and we got robbed of ours. We're going to be stuck in mediocrity/fringe playoff team unless we can develop a star out of nowhere and really fast or we trade one of our great pitchers to try and get one.

It really must be painful to watch CarGO and know that Beane let him go. He is one of the top 5 players in all of baseball right now. Beane gets a lot of credit most of the time but he has made a couple of awful trades thats for sure.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

It really must be painful to watch CarGO and know that Beane let him go. He is one of the top 5 players in all of baseball right now. Beane gets a lot of credit most of the time but he has made a couple of awful trades thats for sure.

Beane used to be awesome but I'm really ready for him to go. We're suffering from the same problem as you guys had in the past (not quite so much this year), great at developing pitching, can't develop a stud hitter and in our case trade away the one's who are poised to become one.
Oh yeah and demoting Mazzaro after two bad moves is a b***h move. Let him pitch through his struggles at the big league, it's not like we're trying to compete this year right? I mean that's the impression Beane gave me this year by doing absolutely nothing at the deadline.

I hope Beane doesn't let his ego run this team anymore but looks like Mazzaro is in Beane's doghouse. I can see it now, he'll be traded for peanuts in the 2011-2012 offseason after being f**ked with all of next season by Beane. Beane doesn't want cocky, confident players, he wants yes men. Carlos Gonzalez was a cocky b*****d too.
Share 49ersWebzone