LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

Jerry West in favor of contraction in the NBA?

Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Get rid of a team from each division.

Atlantic: Toronto Raptors
Central: Milwaukee Bucks
Southeast: Charlotte Bobcats
Northwest: Minnesota Timberwolves
Pacific: Sacramento Kings
Southwest: Memphis Grizzlies

I think we could all live without those teams.

Kings put a s**tty product on the floor for the last 5 years and still 4/5 seasons get a decent ammount of fans. You're just saying that because you hate the Kings. And the Raptors have a good fan base. They don't have a great team but they have a good fan base. The point of contraction would be GETTING RID OF TEAMS THAT DON'T HAVE GOOD FAN BASES. Then you have teams like the Bobcats and Grizzlies who don't have great fan bases, but they're up and coming teams. Your idea is stupid. Just like West's idea of contraction is f**king dumb.

I don't give a s**t about the Kings, don't get so butthurt.

I really don't give a s**t about the NBA either; the season is too long, there's too many teams with low-quality players, and the playoffs are a 2-month long borefest.

And, other than the Raptors who I guess have a decent fan base, the teams I listed have a horrible fan base:

NBA Attendance

2009-2010 attendance rankings (out of 30 teams)
Toronto Raptors - 13
Milwaukee Bucks - 24
Charlotte Bobcats - 23
Minnesota Timberwolves - 25
Sacramento Kings - 29
Memphis Grizzlies - 30

2008-2009 attendance rankings (out of 30 teams)
Toronto Raptors - 10
Milwaukee Bucks - 24
Charlotte Bobcats - 26
Minnesota Timberwolves - 27
Sacramento Kings - 30
Memphis Grizzlies - 29

2007-2008 attendance rankings (out of 30 teams)
Toronto Raptors - 9
Milwaukee Bucks - 22
Charlotte Bobcats - 24
Sacramento Kings - 27
Memphis Grizzlies - 29

2006-2007 attendance rankings (out of 30 teams)
Toronto Raptors - 13
Milwaukee Bucks - 23
Charlotte Bobcats - 27
Minnesota Timberwolves - 24
Sacramento Kings - 16
Memphis Grizzlies - 30

2005-2006 attendance rankings (out of 30 teams)
Toronto Raptors - 17
Milwaukee Bucks - 20
Charlotte Bobcats - 22
Sacramento Kings - 14
Memphis Grizzlies - 26

If you go by percentage of Seats filled:
2009-2010: Kings=25th
08-09: 29th
07-08: 18th
06-07: 5th (100 %)
05-06: 5th(100 %)

so before the team played like s**t they sold out a whole bunch of games. My points still stands that the Kings have good fans. In this economy you can't blame people for not going to see a s**tty product. But when the team was actually full they sold out both 05-06 and 06-07(a non playoff year IIRC). Ahead of big market teams like NY and LA and Chicago. 2 of those teams on par or better than the Kings in those years.

But it's easy to see why you think like you do. You're a bandwagon kobe fan like in your profile, you think the season is way too long(I love watching basketball as much as I can), you think there are too many teams with too many players(which is dumb seeing as there are more teams in the NFL, just as many in the MLB, and fewer players than either), and you think the playoffs are boring. You're not even a real basketball fan, you're a bandwagoner.

You're right, I'm not a basketball fan. I'm not even a bandwagoner either, I'm a nothing. I rarely even watch the NBA and I don't have a favorite team.

But from what I've seen, Jerry West is right: there are too many teams and too little talent. Very few people play fundamental basketball anymore; it's just 4 guys standing around watching 1 thug trying to cross another up...all while never playing any defense.

And I don't know what to tell you if you think that a team has a good fanbase when the fans only show up when the team is winning.

But anyways, like I said, I don't watch the NBA that much, I was just making a suggestion based on what I've seen. You're getting waaaay too defensive, all you had to do was come back with your own suggestion for teams that should be gone.

The bolded is obvious based on your description of the game.
  • jaghetersofie
  • Info N/A
Playoff Appearances
Hawks 39
Celtics 46
Bulls 28
Cavs 17
Mavs 15
Nuggets 20
Pistons 41
Warriors 25
Rockets 26
Pacers 18
Clippers 7
Lakers 55
Grizzlies 3
Heat 13
Bucks 25
Wolves 8
Nets 16
Hornets 11
Knicks 35
Magic 10
Sixers 45
Suns 28
Blazers 27
Kings 28
Spurs 29
Sonics 22
Raptors 5
Jazz 23
Wizards 27

It seems like playing in a major market doesn't guarantee success, but it sure helps.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

Kings put a s**tty product on the floor for the last 5 years and still 4/5 seasons get a decent ammount of fans. You're just saying that because you hate the Kings. And the Raptors have a good fan base. They don't have a great team but they have a good fan base. The point of contraction would be GETTING RID OF TEAMS THAT DON'T HAVE GOOD FAN BASES. Then you have teams like the Bobcats and Grizzlies who don't have great fan bases, but they're up and coming teams. Your idea is stupid. Just like West's idea of contraction is f**king dumb.

I really don't give a s**t about the NBA either; the season is too long, there's too many teams with low-quality players, and the playoffs are a 2-month long borefest.

And, other than the Raptors who I guess have a decent fan base, the teams I listed have a horrible fan base:

NBA Attendance

Toronto Raptors - 13
Milwaukee Bucks - 24
Charlotte Bobcats - 23
Sacramento Kings - 29
Memphis Grizzlies - 30

Toronto Raptors - 10
Milwaukee Bucks - 24
Charlotte Bobcats - 26
Sacramento Kings - 30
Memphis Grizzlies - 29

Toronto Raptors - 9
Milwaukee Bucks - 22
Charlotte Bobcats - 24
Sacramento Kings - 27
Memphis Grizzlies - 29

Toronto Raptors - 13
Milwaukee Bucks - 23
Charlotte Bobcats - 27
Sacramento Kings - 16
Memphis Grizzlies - 30

Toronto Raptors - 17
Milwaukee Bucks - 20
Charlotte Bobcats - 22
Sacramento Kings - 14
Memphis Grizzlies - 26

so before the team played like s**t they sold out a whole bunch of games. My points still stands that the Kings have good fans. In this economy you can't blame people for not going to see a s**tty product. But when the team was actually full they sold out both 05-06 and 06-07(a non playoff year IIRC). Ahead of big market teams like NY and LA and Chicago. 2 of those teams on par or better than the Kings in those years.

But it's easy to see why you think like you do. You're a bandwagon kobe fan like in your profile, you think the season is way too long(I love watching basketball as much as I can), you think there are too many teams with too many players(which is dumb seeing as there are more teams in the NFL, just as many in the MLB, and fewer players than either), and you think the playoffs are boring. You're not even a real basketball fan, you're a bandwagoner.

You're right, I'm not a basketball fan. I'm not even a bandwagoner either, I'm a nothing. I rarely even watch the NBA and I don't have a favorite team.

But from what I've seen, Jerry West is right: there are too many teams and too little talent. Very few people play fundamental basketball anymore; it's just 4 guys standing around watching 1 thug trying to cross another up...all while never playing any defense.

And I don't know what to tell you if you think that a team has a good fanbase when the fans only show up when the team is winning.

But anyways, like I said, I don't watch the NBA that much, I was just making a suggestion based on what I've seen. You're getting waaaay too defensive, all you had to do was come back with your own suggestion for teams that should be gone.

Hence the words, "From what I've seen". Nice reading comprehension though.

NBA Attendance

Toronto Raptors - 13
Milwaukee Bucks - 24
Charlotte Bobcats - 23
Sacramento Kings - 29
Memphis Grizzlies - 30

Toronto Raptors - 10
Milwaukee Bucks - 24
Charlotte Bobcats - 26
Sacramento Kings - 30
Memphis Grizzlies - 29

Toronto Raptors - 9
Milwaukee Bucks - 22
Charlotte Bobcats - 24
Sacramento Kings - 27
Memphis Grizzlies - 29

Toronto Raptors - 13
Milwaukee Bucks - 23
Charlotte Bobcats - 27
Sacramento Kings - 16
Memphis Grizzlies - 30

Toronto Raptors - 17
Milwaukee Bucks - 20
Charlotte Bobcats - 22
Sacramento Kings - 14
Memphis Grizzlies - 26

Maybe you shouldn't be throwing out a VERY limited and off-base description of the game if, by your own words, "what you've seen" is something you don't watch "that much".

Quote:

That's probably the most laughable description of NBA ball I've heard in a long, long time.

NBA Attendance

Toronto Raptors - 13
Milwaukee Bucks - 24
Charlotte Bobcats - 23
Sacramento Kings - 29
Memphis Grizzlies - 30

Toronto Raptors - 10
Milwaukee Bucks - 24
Charlotte Bobcats - 26
Sacramento Kings - 30
Memphis Grizzlies - 29

Toronto Raptors - 9
Milwaukee Bucks - 22
Charlotte Bobcats - 24
Sacramento Kings - 27
Memphis Grizzlies - 29

Toronto Raptors - 13
Milwaukee Bucks - 23
Charlotte Bobcats - 27
Sacramento Kings - 16
Memphis Grizzlies - 30

Toronto Raptors - 17
Milwaukee Bucks - 20
Charlotte Bobcats - 22
Sacramento Kings - 14
Memphis Grizzlies - 26

Maybe you shouldn't be throwing out a VERY limited and off-base description of the game if, by your own words, "what you've seen" is something you don't watch "that much".

Quote:

That's probably the most laughable description of NBA ball I've heard in a long, long time.

Jesus Christ, everybody has sand in their vagina lately.

I'm no expert on the NBA, all I said was that from what I've seen, I agree with Jerry West, and I gave a list of teams that I think could be gone.

Maybe instead of mocking my opinion, you could just show me why I'm wrong? Like I said, I don't watch the NBA that much, so I'm willing to listen to someone who watches a lot more than I do.
i love how thug is used as a euphemism for black in this thread.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:

That's what I think every time I hear it too.

Plus, I don't understand why people have strong opinions on things that they admittedly know little about.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Jan 24, 2010 at 1:20 PM ]

NBA Attendance

Toronto Raptors - 13
Milwaukee Bucks - 24
Charlotte Bobcats - 23
Sacramento Kings - 29
Memphis Grizzlies - 30

Toronto Raptors - 10
Milwaukee Bucks - 24
Charlotte Bobcats - 26
Sacramento Kings - 30
Memphis Grizzlies - 29

Toronto Raptors - 9
Milwaukee Bucks - 22
Charlotte Bobcats - 24
Sacramento Kings - 27
Memphis Grizzlies - 29

Toronto Raptors - 13
Milwaukee Bucks - 23
Charlotte Bobcats - 27
Sacramento Kings - 16
Memphis Grizzlies - 30

Toronto Raptors - 17
Milwaukee Bucks - 20
Charlotte Bobcats - 22
Sacramento Kings - 14
Memphis Grizzlies - 26

Quote:

Jesus Christ, everybody has sand in their vagina lately.

I'm no expert on the NBA, all I said was that from what I've seen, I agree with Jerry West, and I gave a list of teams that I think could be gone.

Maybe instead of mocking my opinion, you could just show me why I'm wrong? Like I said, I don't watch the NBA that much, so I'm willing to listen to someone who watches a lot more than I do.

Nobody has sand in their fvagina, people just think that what you said was dumb. You admit you know little of the NBA and don't watch much, but you're saying you agree with something that would be a massive decision for the league. That doesn't even make sense. What I think about West's statements have already been expressed in this thread, either by myself or other people. I think West is wrong. I think there's a larger talent pool and that's good for the game. I think that things are fine the way they are for the most part honestly. I agree with what Pete(not sure I can call him that, don't know him at all except for read his posts alot) said, that these guys are looking back at their own personal glory days and imagining everything was rosy and the NBA was great and nothing was wrong and everyone they played against was a dominant player. THat's simply not true, if you go back in history you can find plenty of horrible teams and horrible players on good or bad teams.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:

Maybe in your mind thug might mean black but not in mine. The NBA has always had black players since I was watching. I dont remember thugs playing in the NBA in the 1980s.
Share 49ersWebzone