There are 150 users in the forums

This hockey player deserves jail time

Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Mother f**ker does that s**t to me, he'd better paralyze my ass cuz I'll kill the mother f**ker myself, you know what I'm sayin?

Originally posted by King49er:
He should go to jail for sure

Come on King, I know you are a Canadian. Jail time. Please. This is sport. s**t happens and it was unfortunate. The guy shouldn't have laid the elbow but he isn't the only player to elbow someone. People are only upset cause of the severity of the injury. Same with Bertuzzi. I never thought what Bertuzzi did was that horrible. Again, he shouldn't have sucker punched him from behind but the true injury to that dude came when his own players jumped on Bertuzzi's back and ended up falling on his head. The punch all in all was a pretty weak punch.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
I'm 50-50 on this jail time thing. but the kids whom belong in jail and are hockey players are the son of Patrick Roy

Roy is the person who filed the police report

for whom? this kid in the vedio?

yah, think roy went to the police about this kid (or at least thats what i heard)
I'm 50-50 on this jail time thing. but the kids whom belong in jail and are hockey players are the son of Patrick Roy

yah, think roy went to the police about this kid (or at least thats what i heard)

not shoot the messenger(that being you) but Patrick Roy needs to go to jail along with his sons whom are bunch of thugs. I mean what a hypocrite for going to the police against this kid yet he defended the despicable acts of his two sons. 1 of his sons happened to a goaltender whom rushed over the length of the ice to just beat up the opposing goalie because everybody was fighting except for them two.

not shoot the messenger(that being you) but Patrick Roy needs to go to jail along with his sons whom are bunch of thugs. I mean what a hypocrite for going to the police against this kid yet he defended the despicable acts of his two sons. 1 of his sons happened to a goaltender whom rushed over the length of the ice to just beat up the opposing goalie because everybody was fighting except for them two.

What is it with everyone? The world is becoming a bunch of pussies. Fighting is part of the game. I don't agree that these guys should be going out there looking to fight or knock someones head of but sometimes in the flow of the game s**t happens. All in all most fights or big hits don't lead to any problems. Every now and then something like this happens and everyone wants to cry foul. It was an isolated incident, Cromier shouldn't have led with the elbow like that and should have at least showed some remorse for making a mistake. That is the end of it. Suspend him for X amount of games.
Originally posted by NinerFan1979:

What is it with everyone? The world is becoming a bunch of pussies. Fighting is part of the game. I don't agree that these guys should be going out there looking to fight or knock someones head of but sometimes in the flow of the game s**t happens. All in all most fights or big hits don't lead to any problems. Every now and then something like this happens and everyone wants to cry foul. It was an isolated incident, Cromier shouldn't have led with the elbow like that and should have at least showed some remorse for making a mistake. That is the end of it. Suspend him for X amount of games.

I think there is a big difference between two players fighting willingly and some jackass intentionally elbowing someone in the face causing serious injury. And I don't buy the fact that just because it happened in a sporting event it makes it ok. That elbow was disgusting, and not only should Cormier be suspended, but he should be charged.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

I think there is a big difference between two players fighting willingly and some jackass intentionally elbowing someone in the face causing serious injury. And I don't buy the fact that just because it happened in a sporting event it makes it ok. That elbow was disgusting, and not only should Cormier be suspended, but he should be charged.

I don't know if anyone else on this board did, but I grew up playing ice hockey. And that statement in bold is 100% true.

True hockey fans/players don't tolerate that kind of thuggery. If you got a problem with a player and want to do something about it, you are suppose to drop the gloves instead of cheap shotting. Thats one of the main purposes of fighting in hockey, to prevent dirty s**t like this (other being entertainment of course).

Unfortunately there will always be stupid ass thugs like that. Partially to blame are coaches in hockey, I knew I had my fair share of experiences where coaches encourage dirty play. ESPECIALLY at the Junior Level (kind of equivalent of college level for football).

I think assault charge and serious fine for the coach is in order. Maybe the coach isn't actually at fault, but I think strict liability is justified on coaches because they have a HUGE impact on how dirty their players play. There are so many winks and nods with coaches encouraging dirty play at the Junior level its ridiculous.
In the old days, his teammates would have jumped the dude and kicked his teeth in. Nowadays, they stand there like wussies because the justice system punishes people who retaliate against bad people.

[ Edited by Joecool on Jan 21, 2010 at 00:16:42 ]
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

I don't know if anyone else on this board did, but I grew up playing ice hockey. And that statement in bold is 100% true.

True hockey fans/players don't tolerate that kind of thuggery. If you got a problem with a player and want to do something about it, you are suppose to drop the gloves instead of cheap shotting. Thats one of the main purposes of fighting in hockey, to prevent dirty s**t like this (other being entertainment of course).

Unfortunately there will always be stupid ass thugs like that. Partially to blame are coaches in hockey, I knew I had my fair share of experiences where coaches encourage dirty play. ESPECIALLY at the Junior Level (kind of equivalent of college level for football).

I think assault charge and serious fine for the coach is in order. Maybe the coach isn't actually at fault, but I think strict liability is justified on coaches because they have a HUGE impact on how dirty their players play. There are so many winks and nods with coaches encouraging dirty play at the Junior level its ridiculous.

I don't disagree that the elbow was dirty, it was. I myself played hockey and still do to this day.

Watch the play closely. Cromier gets out of the box and you can tell he is looking to hit someone. He comes flying towards the middle and initially was going to check the guy at the red line.

However, Tam then came flying up so at the last minute Cromier then tried to redirect his angle. He wasn't going to be able to hit Tam so he threw up the elbow and shoulder hoping to catch a piece of him. I don't believe he was intentionally trying to hit him in the head. The problem is he did. He should be suspended but charges? No, I don't agree with that.

This is no different then when a football player hit another with a helmet to helmet or forearm to helmet. It happens a lot in the NFL. The game is flying and the player goes to make a hit and sometimes it is just instinct to do it. They aren't trying to hurt the guy they just do it. It is the instinct that needs to be coached out of players.
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
god, that poor guy, that looked scary. hope he'll recover okay

1) The hit was dirty and he should get suspended for the year (The OHL - Ontario Hockey League- banned a player for life for a whole lot less this year)

2) The law doesnt belong in sports and hockey especially. You'd have charges being laid on a daily basis.

3) Joecool is right... Back in the day, this would have been settled on the ice with a good brawl and some payback coming Cormier's way, end of story.

And the dude who got smoked is fine. He obv had 'injuries' but nothing serious at all and I believe has been released from hospital.. Prob just a good concussion
Originally posted by Jordache49:
1) The hit was dirty and he should get suspended for the year (The OHL - Ontario Hockey League- banned a player for life for a whole lot less this year)

2) The law doesnt belong in sports and hockey especially. You'd have charges being laid on a daily basis.

3) Joecool is right... Back in the day, this would have been settled on the ice with a good brawl and some payback coming Cormier's way, end of story.

And the dude who got smoked is fine. He obv had 'injuries' but nothing serious at all and I believe has been released from hospital.. Prob just a good concussion

there is never a good concussion...trust me
Share 49ersWebzone