LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 361 users in the forums

Manny vs Mayweather ??

Originally posted by Amir:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
You my boy, Amir, but that statement right there was as ignorant as it possibly gets. Pretty much shows that you don't understand what MMA is all about.

you my boy too Jeff and you always will be. I've seen UFC matches and it's hard as f**k to watch. Boxing is the sweet science and MMA is the gay science.

I guess it's your opinion. Sure you enjoy the sweet science of boxing. I do too. But a lot of the times, they hug the last 4 fckin rounds. Sure, there are some fights in MMA where pure wrestlers just keep the fight on the ground, but when jui jitsu is involved and they fight for submissions, that's a different story.
You my boy, Amir, but that statement right there was as ignorant as it possibly gets. Pretty much shows that you don't understand what MMA is all about.

you my boy too Jeff and you always will be. I've seen UFC matches and it's hard as f**k to watch. Boxing is the sweet science and MMA is the gay science.

SF - the same could be and is said about every 2nd tier sport. If only you understood it more. If only you watched it more. If only you tried it yourself.

Yeah Yeah, I kind of understand, and won't be as harsh as Amir. But from a purely symbolic point of view......it doesn't get any better than 2 men STANDING on their feet and settling things with just their 2 fists.

This will always be more appealing to people in general, and therefore will always be the more popular sport
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by danimal:

SF - the same could be and is said about every 2nd tier sport. If only you understood it more. If only you watched it more. If only you tried it yourself.

Yeah Yeah, I kind of understand, and won't be as harsh as Amir. But from a purely symbolic point of view......it doesn't get any better than 2 men STANDING on their feet and settling things with just their 2 fists.

This will always be more appealing to people in general, and therefore will always be the more popular sport

yup and that's why it's called the sweet science. you have to do everything with your fists and nothing else.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
I have it on good authority that Arum is in the Philippines right now and that it probably won't happen on May 5th, but if it does, it will be later that month. Look for Mr. Wynn to be involved in the venue. Hopefully this actually gets done.

Is this the good authority you were referring to?

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=AkcMz5NbQ177uZpckqIH9suUxLYF?slug=ki-iole_pacquiao_mayweather_update_010912
Originally posted by danimal:

I agree with you on that. Come on, it's always exciting to see a stand up war, even in MMA. It just takes just as much skill to learn kickbox though, which is entertaining too. I did a little boxing training when I was younger, and when I moved to kicboxing, it was tough to defend.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I have it on good authority that Arum is in the Philippines right now and that it probably won't happen on May 5th, but if it does, it will be later that month. Look for Mr. Wynn to be involved in the venue. Hopefully this actually gets done.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=AkcMz5NbQ177uZpckqIH9suUxLYF?slug=ki-iole_pacquiao_mayweather_update_010912

During a layover in Guam, Arum said he would add Mayweather to his discussion with Pacquiao and adviser Michael Koncz. But he again said that Pacquiao would not be available to fight on May 5, both because he won't be cleared to spar until April 1 because of a cut he sustained in his Nov. 12 fight, and also because there will not be enough time to construct a 40,000-seat temporary stadium on the Las Vegas Strip.

That is f**kin b******t. When Money was gonna go to Jail, Arum came out and said that Manny would take over the May 5th date. Now that Money is able to fight, Arum is saying that Manny's cut won't be healed. FUUCKING BULLLs**t.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
You can personally hate UFC. That's your opinion. But the facts are that UFC is more popular. Not much of a debate here.

The UFC drew over 9 million viewers when on FOX. NINE MILLION. And it has no signs of slowing down. I don't know what else to say. People are letting their personal opinion of the sport sway the facts. UFC is more popular than boxing. That's a fact. It's like saying the sky is blue. It is what it is.

Most boxing gyms are either adding or fully converting to MMA training facilities to keep up with demand. Kids buy more UFC apparel than anything boxing could possibly offer. And outside of Manny-Mayweather, boxing generates absolutely no watercooler talk. The UFC does. As an indicator, ESPN spends 200x more time discussing UFC when compared to boxing.

More importantly, the UFC has earned venomous haters. And haters are crucial to the UFC's (and any brand's) success. Great brands (like Apple, the UFC and Mayweather) know that polarizing the population forces incredible loyalty.

Boxing is dying. It is a poor business model that is in no way sustainable. National interest is drying up. The UFC offers a product people, on a mass scale, actually want to see.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Ok where do I begin.
Originally posted by okdkid:
You can personally hate UFC. That's your opinion. But the facts are that UFC is more popular. Not much of a debate here.

Really?? Are you sure? Do you wanna look at PPV numbers or how about how much Boxers get paid? DO NOT make me go there. Boxing sells more at the gate, more at PPV and pays their fighters more.

The UFC drew over 9 million viewers when on FOX. NINE MILLION. And it has no signs of slowing down. I don't know what else to say. People are letting their personal opinion of the sport sway the facts. UFC is more popular than boxing. That's a fact. It's like saying the sky is blue. It is what it is.

9 Million on Fox, a station that the entire US has. How come it can't outsell Boxing in PPV buys?? Yeah, thats what I thought. Put boxing on Fox and it would far exceed 9 Million.

Most boxing gyms are either adding or fully converting to MMA training facilities to keep up with demand. Kids buy more UFC apparel than anything boxing could possibly offer. And outside of Manny-Mayweather, boxing generates absolutely no watercooler talk. The UFC does. As an indicator, ESPN spends 200x more time discussing UFC when compared to boxing.

You're thinking of LA Boxing when you think of boxing gyms that are converting to MMA training facilities. Truth is, actual boxing gyms are still the same with no MMA influence. Don't let 1 or 2 gyms determine your feelings on what a actual boxing gym is.

So UFC sells more apparel than UFC. 1. please proved me stats and 2. what can boxers really sell? Their shoes?

Outside Manny/Mayweather? You f**kinng kidding me? Cotto and Khan outsell and outmake ANY UFC fighter. So don't give that crap. Your best fighters, barely make s**t.

ESPN spends 200x more times discussing UFC than boxing. Ok. HBO and Showtime spend 100000000000000 more times discussing boxing than UFC. Whats yoru f**king point? We can do this all day.

More importantly, the UFC has earned venomous haters. And haters are crucial to the UFC's (and any brand's) success. Great brands (like Apple, the UFC and Mayweather) know that polarizing the population forces incredible loyalty.

Boxing is dying. It is a poor business model that is in no way sustainable. National interest is drying up. The UFC offers a product people, on a mass scale, actually want to see.

Boxing fans don't give two s**t about UFC because we know it's no competition. They don't get the ratings of Boxing and their fighter don't make s**t. I agree that haters do well but no one in the world is more hated than Mayweather (outside tebow ). Mayweather sells more in one fight than 3 UFC fights combined. Like I said before, get that weak s**t outta here.

Boxing is dying? I think it's been around since the late 1800's. After Ali, boxing was dead...oh wait, then came Sugar Ray/Hagler/Hearns/Duran. After them, it was dead....oh wait, then came Tyson. After tyson, it was dead...oh wait, then came Holyfield/Lewis. After them, it was dead, oh wait, then came Oscar De La Hoya. After him, it was dead....oh wait, then came Manny/Mayweather. And after them, it will be a new breed such as Amir Khan, Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, Nonito Donaire, Miguel Cotto, etc.

Please get that UFC is better than boxing crap outta here. Who sells more PPV? That's what I thought. Who get's paid more? That's what I thought. Please take your GAY UFC s**t out of this thread.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
You don't like UFC. We get it. That doesn't make boxing more popular today. That just means you're louder.

UFC is in more demand. Tally up ALL pay-per-views between the two sports, annually. People consume UFC at a much higher rate. Listen man, there are people that like boxing still. Hope is not entirely lost. The ludicrous payouts for top boxers is exactly why boxing is losing popularity. Terrible business model.

Annually, UFC has more PPVs.

UFC had the top PPV event of the year (Lesnar vs. Mir) with 1.6MM buys.
UFC had 6 of the top 10 PPV buys of the year, boxing had 3, WWE had 1
UFC averaged 900k buys per event
Boxing averaged 800k

UFC had 7 of the top 10 PPV events of the year, boxing had 3, WWE had 0
UFC averaged 1MM buys per event.
Boxing averaged 800k buys per event

2011: Annual data not released yet

Simply, the UFC is the fastest growing sport in the world. The UFC currently is the 6th most popular sport in the United States, slightly ahead of the PGA. At its current pace, it will be the 5th most popular sport in the U.S. by the end of 2013 (overtaking the NHL).

The UFC has cohesive marketing. Boxing does not. It's hard to see any new boxing stars arising in the UFC era. They are turning to MMA in droves. This is troubling to professional boxing since they have no organization to fall behind in the marketing of it's sport. Boxing is losing it's talent pool to MMA. This cannot be disputed rationally.

Too often, boxing fans take personal offense to the outstanding rise in popularity of the UFC. It's not a personal slight. People just want something more realistic and graphic. It's new, it's adaptable and more entertaining to a larger percent of people. It's just the way of the world. Adapt or die. The UFC has the business model to dominate (moderate fighter pay, world-class branding, 1-2 PPV events a month, an entire cable TV channel, 4 broadcast network specials, incredible exposure in mainstream news and the most entertaining combat sport in the world).

If the UFC's success offends you, so be it.
[ Edited by okdkid on Jan 10, 2012 at 5:32 PM ]
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Nope, a friend that works closely with Top Rank.

Essentially said the same thing, but that it was looking likely to happen memorial day weekend.
[ Edited by itlynstalyn on Jan 10, 2012 at 5:39 PM ]

You don't like UFC. We get it. That doesn't make boxing more popular today. That just means you're louder.

UFC is in more demand. Tally up ALL pay-per-views between the two sports, annually. People consume UFC at a much higher rate. Listen man, there are people that like boxing still. Hope is not entirely lost. The ludicrous payouts for top boxers is exactly why boxing is losing popularity. Terrible business model.

Boxing averaged 800k

UFC had 7 of the top PPV events of the year, boxing had 3

Simply, the UFC is the fastest growing sport in the world. The UFC currently is the 6th most popular sport in the United States, slightly ahead of the PGA. At its current pace, it will be the 5th most popular sport in the U.S. by the end of 2013 (overtaking the NHL).

The UFC has cohesive marketing. Boxing does not. It's hard to see any new boxing stars arising in the UFC era. They are turning to MMA in droves. This is troubling to professional boxing since they have no organization to fall behind in the marketing of it's sport. Boxing is losing it's talent pool to MMA. This cannot be disputed rationally.

Too often, boxing fans take personal offense to the outstanding rise in popularity of the UFC. It's not a personal slight. People just want something more realistic and graphic. It's new, it's adaptable and more entertaining to a larger percent of people. It's just the way of the world. Adapt or die. The UFC has the business model to dominate (moderate fighter pay, world-class branding, 1-2 PPV events a month, an entire cable TV channel, 4 broadcast network specials, incredible exposure in mainstream news and the most entertaining combat sport in the world).

technically UFC is a league, the sport is mma
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
technically UFC is a league, the sport is mma

You are correct. I was using the UFC to measure the popularity in MMA.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame

Boxing averaged 800k

UFC had 7 of the top 10 PPV events of the year, boxing had 3, WWE had 0

I'm too busy right now to look up stats so I'll do that tomorrow. Simple question, why are you in a Manny/Mayweather thread arguing about gay ass UFC? Why does every gay ass UFC fan come into talk s**t about this fight? The fact is, all you gay ass mofo's will tune in as soon as Manny/Money is announced and you guys are afraid that this fight might happen. This fight WILL top 3+M and maybe ever 4M and no UFC fight will ever come close to that.

Again, Manny/Floyd/Amir Khan/Miguel Cotto/Sergio Martinez/Paul Williams/Shane Moseley/Roy Jones jr/Klitschko Brothers and many more boxers make more money than any of the top UFC fighters. Your sport is so damn good and so popular, yet why you do you make chicken s**t. But wait, you had 9M viewers on Fox. But wait, every gym in the country is a UFC gym. But wait, you guys sell more "affliction shirts." But wait, you're the 5th most popular sport in the world.

UFC/MMA/brazilian ju jitsu/tae kwondo/karate/whatever gay ass f**king s**t you wanna call it can't hold boxing's jock strap. It will stick around but it will NEVER EVER compete with boxing.

Essentially said the same thing, but that it was looking likely to happen memorial day weekend.

Very cool. As long as it gets done sometime in the near future. How does it work with PBF jailing though since he was already given a break for May 5?

Very cool. As long as it gets done sometime in the near future. How does it work with PBF jailing though since he was already given a break for May 5?
Share 49ersWebzone