There are 105 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

World Series Champions NY Yankees Season Thread 95-67

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
So how does one become a 49er and Yankee fan? Did this start in the 80s when both were powers and you just wanted to root for the best teams? Are the Lakers your favorite team in the NBA? Just curious.

I became a 49ers fan when I was like 3 b/c my family is from northern California and they were all fans so I naturally became a fan.

I didn't become a Yankees fan until 98 I believe cause everyone in my class were fans of the Cubs and Cards because of the homerun race or Seattle because of Griffey and the Yankees were on tv one day and I decided that would be my team. It just so happened they had an amazing year and went on to win the World Series so I was called a bandwagon jumper for it but after I started memorizing stats and stuff all that talk went away pretty quick.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
i believe off the top of my head the following are the main FA's.

Damon
Matsui
Nady
Pettite
Wang
Molina
Gaudin
Hairston
Hinske
Cabrera
Bruney
Mitre

some are likely arbitration eligible.

Wang will probably be resigned for a cheap contract, Gaudin should be resigned as well as Cabrera. Bruney maybe but I wouldn't be surprised if they let him go, and Molina will probably go to bring in Cervilli. I say resign Matsui as our DH/pinch hitter and maybe Pettitte if he wants to keep pitching but let Nady and Damon go.
WheresWaldo is just DYING to post in this thread lol
Quote:

New York Daily News - The Yankees could make a play for John Lackey if teams aren't willing to pay him the expected rate of $15 million annually.

According to the New York Daily News, the Yankees are only willing to play Lackey $10-12 million per year.

The Angels don't appear inclined to pay Lackey what he wants and the Rangers, another interested party, are in the midst of an ownership change. [READ]

What do you guys think if we do get Lackey?
Originally posted by NinerFanMT:
Quote:

New York Daily News - The Yankees could make a play for John Lackey if teams aren't willing to pay him the expected rate of $15 million annually.

According to the New York Daily News, the Yankees are only willing to play Lackey $10-12 million per year.

The Angels don't appear inclined to pay Lackey what he wants and the Rangers, another interested party, are in the midst of an ownership change. [READ]

I think that there needs to be a salary cap, that's what I think.

When I was a kid, I was a huge baseball fan. Copied Don Mattingly's stance, wore his number, clipped box scores...all that. But I came to realize during the clinching game of the WS this year how far baseball had fallen for me, because I was flipping between that and the 4th Laker game of the year.

It's not nearly as fun when your team wins and there isn't a level playing field. Getting a guy like Lackey would make that point even more painfully obvious.

/rant (sorry)
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Quote:

When I was a kid, I was a huge baseball fan. Copied Don Mattingly's stance, wore his number, clipped box scores...all that. But I came to realize during the clinching game of the WS this year how far baseball had fallen for me, because I was flipping between that and the 4th Laker game of the year.

It's not nearly as fun when your team wins and there isn't a level playing field. Getting a guy like Lackey would make that point even more painfully obvious.

/rant (sorry)

But it was one helluva Laker game.
Quote:

/rant (sorry)

Oh I agree completely there needs to be a salary cap in the MLB just like all the other big sports leagues. I'm just glad it didnt happen this year. Nevertheless Selig or his replacement when he retires needs to instill one asap.
Sounds like the Yanks are gonna concentrate on Damon, Matsui, and Pettitte and not go after Holiday, Lackey, and Bay. Personally, I wanna see Damon gone. He's horrible in the outfiled and more importantly he's old and Bay or Holiday would be the more logical choice for us in LF even though Bay isn't a defensive great by any means. Matsui and Pettitte I dont really care about since Hideki would be splitting time with Jorge at DH and I've always been a fan of Pettitte. Although I was hoping Hughes would go back in the rotation next year, but I guess they can still do that and have Joba back as a reliever.

[ Edited by NinerFanMT on Nov 10, 2009 at 16:10:19 ]
Congrats on Derek and Tex winning their 4th and 3rd Gold Golves as well. They both deserved it especially Derek cuz he improved a ton on defense this year compared to the past few years.
So how does one become a 49er and Yankee fan? Did this start in the 80s when both were powers and you just wanted to root for the best teams? Are the Lakers your favorite team in the NBA? Just curious.

I'm guilty of being a 49er/Yankee/Laker fan, and was born in 1980...but I inherited my teams from my dad. My dad grew up in NYC (Yankee fan), and then was stationed at the Presidio when he got out Vietnam, so some of his buddies would invite him to get drunk/high at Kezar on the weekend, hence the Niner fandom. When he moved to LA in 1979, he worked for the station that covered the Lakers, and became buddies w/Kareem, because they went to rival High Schools in NYC and are both latin jazz afficionados. My mom used to let me stay up to see my dad's name in the credits, hence the Laker fandom.

BTW, the Yankees weren't very good in the 80's, outside of Don Mattingly. They didn't win the first title of my lifetime until I was 16.

Just think... your Dad could have been born in Cleveland and been an Indians and Browns fan and then moved to Oakland and worked at a station covering the Warriors. You would really be f**ked then. LOL

I inherited the Toronto Maple Leafs, and Blue Jays from my dad
Originally posted by King49er:

I'm guilty of being a 49er/Yankee/Laker fan, and was born in 1980...but I inherited my teams from my dad. My dad grew up in NYC (Yankee fan), and then was stationed at the Presidio when he got out Vietnam, so some of his buddies would invite him to get drunk/high at Kezar on the weekend, hence the Niner fandom. When he moved to LA in 1979, he worked for the station that covered the Lakers, and became buddies w/Kareem, because they went to rival High Schools in NYC and are both latin jazz afficionados. My mom used to let me stay up to see my dad's name in the credits, hence the Laker fandom.

BTW, the Yankees weren't very good in the 80's, outside of Don Mattingly. They didn't win the first title of my lifetime until I was 16.

Just think... your Dad could have been born in Cleveland and been an Indians and Browns fan and then moved to Oakland and worked at a station covering the Warriors. You would really be f**ked then. LOL

I inherited the Toronto Maple Leafs, and Blue Jays from my dad

Join Us! Give in to your hatred of losing seasons! The dark side will let your season last a full season and even the playoffs and not end in June!!!
Quote:
FOX Sports - If the Yankees find Johnny Damon's price to be too high, they could opt to pursue Chone Figgins.

Figgins is more than four years younger than Damon and could fill his spot near the top of the order.

However, FOX Sports points out that Yankees general manager Brian Cashman places great value in players that succeed in New York, such as Damon and Hideki Matsui.

Curtis Granderson could be a target as well

Make it happen!Figgins would be a great player to have.

Really pulls off the homless look if you ask me.
Quote:
The New York Yankees traded RHP Brian Bruney to the Washington Nationals for a player to be named later. Bruney, 27, was 5-0 with a 3.92 ERA in 44 regular season relief appearances with the Yankees in 2009. He made one 2009 postseason appearance for the club, allowing three hits and two earned runs in 0.1IP in Game 1 of the World Series vs. Philadelphia.

Bruney, who was signed by the Yankees as a free agent on July 1, 2006, played four seasons (2006-09) with the club, going 12-3 with a 3.25 ERA (144.0IP, 112H, 52ER, 91BB, 133K, 14HR) in 153 appearances (one start). [REA

Can't say I'm surprised he just wasn't that good last year although a lot of that had to do with injuries.
Quote:
Andy Pettitte has decided to pitch next season, sources told ESPN's Buster Olney on Monday.

Pettitte has previously indicated a preference to pitch for the Yankees if he returned and the World Series champions want him back as well.

Olney reports that the two sides simply need to work out a mutually acceptable deal.

Pettitte was 14-8 with a 4.16 ERA in 2009, but, more importantly, he went 4-0 in five starts in the postseason with a 3.52 ERA.

Not surprised here either. I just hope he pitches as well as he did last year.