LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 336 users in the forums

2009-2010 San Antonio Spurs thread

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I know the Spurs normally start off slow, but you guys gotta start winning games if you don't want to end up as a 5th or 6th seed. The Phoenix/LA/Denver/Portland/Dallas group is already 3+ games up on you.

I will take a 6 seed. Easier schedule in the second round.

Gotta get to the 2nd Round first.
Damn, Dirk pwned you guys tonight.

And is it me, or does it seem like Jefferson's basically invisible out there?

He's been weird in the offense this year. He seems to be all or nothing. He completely changed the game against Dallas last week, but he's been, like you said, invisible other games.
Wow it took 10 years but we finally got another win in San Antonio!
Originally posted by dobophile:
Originally posted by NinerFanMT:
Wow it took 10 years but we finally got another win in San Antonio!

It'll be another ten years until you do it again. And Jerry Sloan will still be your coach.

We'll see we're 2-0 against you so far this season right? That hasn't happened in a long ass time.
I hate your announcers. Sean Elliot is a homer of Tommy Heinsohn proportions.

Sean Elliot is my hero. All announcers should love the Spurs as much as he does.
George Hill needs at least 30 mpg, even after Manu returns.

You guys stole him from the Lakers.
Originally posted by pantstickle:

Sean Elliot is my hero. All announcers should love the Spurs as much as he does.

I hate the PA Announcer. The guy makes Jay Leno's nasally whine sound almost soothing by comparison.
George Hill needs at least 30 mpg, even after Manu returns.

You guys stole him from the Lakers.

When the Spurs drafted him, I had no idea who he was. I hadn't even heard of IUPUI.

He's really emerging this year. His defense, which was already good last year, has improved. I'm most impressed, though, with how his passing, ball-handling, and shooting have improved.

The prospect of trading Parker or Manu seems much less frightening now.

I agree with that last statement. I've been really impressed by him this year. I figured he'd develop into a nice backup, but he's a legit starter.
So the Spurs are on a 5 game win streak, albeit against relatively weak competition. It's going to take awhile before I can even begin to judge this team. They need time to gel.

By my count, there are 6 new players on this team: RJ, Blair, Bogans, Ratliff, McDyess, and Haislip. Hairston is basically new, so maybe that number is 7. Four of those guys---RJ, Blair, Bogans, and McDyess---will be expected to make significant contributions come playoff time. George Hill, too. So Pop needs to be tinkering and constantly reevaluating rotations for the next several weeks, at least.

On any given night, you can expect any of the following to occur: ugly wins, spectacular losses, high scores, low scores, atrocious team defense, amazing team defense, 3 point shooting clinics by Bonner-Mason-Finley, 3 point shooting disasters by Bonner-Mason-Finley, and the occasional high-flying "dunk shots" by one of the newcomers (much to Pop's dismay). The Spurs are a schizophrenic team, and it will take time for that to change. I can't wait until the Rodeo Road Trip.

5 game win streak is nice but their record on the road is piss poor. Inconsistency is one thing but when that inconsistency means wins against weak opponents and losses against strong opponents or losses on the road and wins at home means they suck and are now a developing team.

The phases of development:
1. unpredictable wins and losses
2. majority of wins at home
3. majority of wins at home and .500 road record
4. majority of wins everywhere
5. Championship

We have a long way to go before The Spurs are to be taken as serious contendors.

Blair and that small lineup have made it interesting. Jefferson sucks.
Bonner vs. Scalabrine

Not pretty in HD.

I have no idea why Pop was playing Jefferson instead of Manu for a lot of that game.
Excellent write up, dobo. For the first time, I think this team is in legitimate trouble. I don't think this is an example of them starting out slow, like they often do. The Spurs look a half step slower than most other teams, IMO.
Excellent write up, dobo. For the first time, I think this team is in legitimate trouble. I don't think this is an example of them starting out slow, like they often do. The Spurs look a half step slower than most other teams, IMO.

This year has been tough so far. Obviously most of it has to do with integrating new players and moving forward without Bowen. That will hopefully become less of a problem as the season continues. It's Parker's slow start that has me concerned more than anything else.

I think this team will be up and down until the Rodeo Road Trip. By late February, I'll probably know whether or not I should care about the NBA playoffs.

You're right, we won't really know until 1 month after the All Star Game. The disappointments are the veteran players who maybe called upon with more responsibility in the second half once Pop has better knowledge of the younger players.

RJ isn't really a go-to type of guy. In fact, he doesn't possess a great deal of basketball skill as compared to his athletic ability.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Wow, I didn't know how ridiculously gay Manu Ginobili was until I just saw him in a Time Warner commercial here in Austin.

Represent, amigo.
Share 49ersWebzone