There are 210 users in the forums

SF Giants Off Season Thread

Originally posted by crzy:
So why is everybody avoiding Jermaine Dye?

Is he the Adam Dunn of this offseason?

Because he's old, can't field better than a 6 year old and had HUGE drop off in production at the plate in the second half of the season. He is best suited as a DH.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

Because he's old, can't field better than a 6 year old and had HUGE drop off in production at the plate in the second half of the season. He is best suited as a DH.

I can't take his second-half slump at face value. I mean he was hitting 300 with 20 homers before the all star break. He could have had a poor second half for a million reasons...undisclosed injury, personal problems, whatever.

I think Dye can still play. And in the right situation, he could be a free agent steal.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

I can't take his second-half slump at face value. I mean he was hitting 300 with 20 homers before the all star break. He could have had a poor second half for a million reasons...undisclosed injury, personal problems, whatever.

I think Dye can still play. And in the right situation, he could be a free agent steal.

You are correct when you say in the right situation. He would be best suited to play in the AL where he can DH most of the time and play OF maybe 30% of the time. I still would rather have him than DeRosa to tell you the truth as a hitter.
Pitchers and Catchers Report - WEDNESDAY

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BigRon:

Crazy how it sneaks up on you.

what's that about? pardon my noobness
Originally posted by teeohh:

Pitchers and catchers always report to spring training ahead of the rest of the position players. Pitchers need more work to get started after the long off season.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by teeohh:

Pitchers and catchers always report to spring training ahead of the rest of the position players. Pitchers need more work to get started after the long off season.

oh I thought it was some type of written evaluation or ranking
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
So what are the odds that Posey supplants Molina?

Opening Day? Extremely doubtful.

All-Star break or after? If Posey tears up AAA + if Molina is struggling bad = chances are good.

If Molina has a decent year, however, I wouldn't be shocked if they kept Posey in AAA til call-ups, just because as I understand it they want him playing everyday, plus they would delay arbitration (I think)

Now if they choose to try him at 3rd or somewhere else ...

[ Edited by Conejo on Feb 14, 2010 at 23:02:29 ]

Once again , for the less enlightened - Not for me , you understand -

How many players are teams allowed to carry into spring training?

Cut off dates for roster?

[ Edited by RogerCraig on Feb 15, 2010 at 05:10:57 ]
Originally posted by Conejo:

All-Star break or after? If Posey tears up AAA + if Molina is struggling bad = chances are good.

If Molina has a decent year, however, I wouldn't be shocked if they kept Posey in AAA til call-ups, just because as I understand it they want him playing everyday, plus they would delay arbitration (I think)

They should try to use him somewhere in the infield. Bengie's definitely not our weakest link on O. If Sanchez can't hold up, or Wrentawreck continues to play like crap, or Huff doesn't perform, or Derosa or whoever is going to play 1st base, throw him out there. He can probably hit pretty well already anyway.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Can't wait to see T.Neal.
Vegas has us in the middle of the pack for the season, One site has us last in the division. Vegas Insider
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Conejo:

They should try to use him somewhere in the infield. Bengie's definitely not our weakest link on O. If Sanchez can't hold up, or Wrentawreck continues to play like crap, or Huff doesn't perform, or Derosa or whoever is going to play 1st base, throw him out there. He can probably hit pretty well already anyway.

I'd like to know what Edgar is doing right now. If he's not on the throne, or sleeping, he better be in the batter's cage or running up a hill.

[ Edited by RogerCraig on Feb 15, 2010 at 05:38:00 ]
Share 49ersWebzone