LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 231 users in the forums

SF Giants Off Season Thread

Ron... not to say I told you so.. but I told you so. I never thought this would get to arbitration.

I was surprised that it wasnt 3 years however. I absolutely feel that Tim gave the Giants a discount even with these big numbers. Good for him . A 2 year deal isnt optimal. A 5 year deal taking him out of FA for a couple of years would have been the best and a 3 yr deal would have been better too. However, this is still far better than going to arbitation.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Sweet! And in 2 years time we can give him the long term 5+ year contract
Good deal for the Giants, kind of weird for Timmy's agent to agree to it assuming the numbers are accurate.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Here is what I think the deal should be for Timmy:

2010 10.5 million ( surpasses the 10 million that Howard got)
2011 13.0
2012 15.5

total 39 million for 3 years with a 2.5 million increase each year. Fair for both sides

I am a bit surprised both teams didnt do a deal like this one I proposed yesterday. The two years were almost identical (23.5 vs 23) but would have jumped him up to 15.5 in year 3. I really think this would have been a much better deal for both sides.

The Giants are really fortunate that Lincecum isnt a greedy b*****d as I truly feel that he gave them a great deal.
Here is what I think the deal should be for Timmy:

2010 10.5 million ( surpasses the 10 million that Howard got)
2011 13.0
2012 15.5

total 39 million for 3 years with a 2.5 million increase each year. Fair for both sides

I am a bit surprised both teams didnt do a deal like this one I proposed yesterday. The two years were almost identical (23.5 vs 23) but would have jumped him up to 15.5 in year 3. I really think this would have been a much better deal for both sides.

The Giants are really fortunate that Lincecum isnt a greedy b*****d as I truly feel that he gave them a great deal.

No doubt, very good deal.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
How the hell is Lincecum only getting 23 over 2 years?

Pay him already, SF.
Hope springs eternal.

5 days pitchers and catchers!!!

Let's kick A**.

Botch saying we are slower than last year makes me ill.

What does that mean? We will be in a perpetual state of motionless?

We can't get much slower.!!!!

[ Edited by RogerCraig on Feb 12, 2010 at 10:18:34 ]
Eugenio Velez - if he would just learn to hit, catch and run the bases.

[ Edited by RogerCraig on Feb 12, 2010 at 10:22:45 ]
Fred Lewis - if he would just learn how to catch

Wow, Giants got a steal signing Timmy for 2/$23M.

Originally posted by jrg:
How the hell is Lincecum only getting 23 over 2 years?

Pay him already, SF.

that's what I was thinking, lock that s**t up for life
Originally posted by RogerCraig:

So, in other words, learn to be a decent baseball player?

The Giants haven't locked Timmy up for the long-term because there are always going to be questions about his durability due to his stature and delivery. If he tears it up again, you can guarantee the team will pay out the ass to lock him up for most of his career. The front office is stupid, but they aren't THAT stupid. He's the face of the franchise.
Fred Lewis - if he would just learn how to catch

Hilariously enough, FLew is actually a better defensive LF than Derosa......who's almost guaranteed to be our opening day starter at the position.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

The Giants haven't locked Timmy up for the long-term because there are always going to be questions about his durability due to his stature and delivery. If he tears it up again, you can guarantee the team will pay out the ass to lock him up for most of his career. The front office is stupid, but they aren't THAT stupid. He's the face of the franchise.

Is it also possible that they couldn't pay him that much because of Zito's contract? And if Timmy shows he is durable then lock him up after 2 years when the Zito's contract is almost gone?

Note, I am not that familiar with how Zito's contract breaks down.
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

Is it also possible that they couldn't pay him that much because of Zito's contract? And if Timmy shows he is durable then lock him up after 2 years when the Zito's contract is almost gone?

Note, I am not that familiar with how Zito's contract breaks down.

Zito's deal:

Quote:
12/29/06: Signed seven-year, $126 million contract w/2014 vested option and full NTC. 2009: $18.5 million, 2010: $18.5 million, 2011: $18.5 million, 2012: $19 million, 2013: $20 million, 2014: $18 million club option w/$7 million buyout (vests w/200 IP in 2013, 400 IP in 2012-13 or 600 IP in 2011-13) (voidable by player), 2015: Free Agent

Link
Share 49ersWebzone