There are 367 users in the forums

SF Giants Off Season Thread

Looks like their goin to arbitration. Well whatev, if we go year to year I wont have too big a problem, as long as feelings dont get hurt it will work out for the G-men.
Giants need to sign Timmy at any cost
Originally posted by ads_2006:

The Giants have Timmy for 4 more years. They are just talking $$$$
Originally posted by BigRon:

Well then

Id still like them to sign timmy to a deal, considering he is our star players

Well then

I can't see a deal coming in the next two years. The Giants own his rights and would have to make a deal that would nearly bankrupt the team to entice Timmy to sign a multiyear deal now. The Smart way for Timmy to handle this is to go thru Arbitration over the next 2 offseasons then sign a long term deal provided the team has come up with a lineup that inspires him.

Well then

I can't see a deal coming in the next two years. The Giants own his rights and would have to make a deal that would nearly bankrupt the team to entice Timmy to sign a multiyear deal now. The Smart way for Timmy to handle this is to go thru Arbitration over the next 2 offseasons then sign a long term deal provided the team has come up with a lineup that inspires him.

How would signing him to a multi year deal "nearly bankrupt" the team. Timmy could easily win an arbitraton case and get $13 million. If he has another huge year that number could be $17-18 next year. I think the team should absolutely try and do a 3 yr 39-40 million dollar deal. It will be cheaper in the long run most likely and the team will know exactly what the cost will be over the next 3 years. It is the smart way to go.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Well then

How would signing him to a multi year deal "nearly bankrupt" the team. Timmy could easily win an arbitraton case and get $13 million. If he has another huge year that number could be $17-18 next year. I think the team should absolutely try and do a 3 yr 39-40 million dollar deal. It will be cheaper in the long run most likely and the team will know exactly what the cost will be over the next 3 years. It is the smart way to go.
See, that's the thing. The team may want to do that, but I would think Timmy would want no less FA at the end of the three. I doubt Timmy would do anything without FA tied to it if the contract is short (3 years) Arbitration this year, Arbitration next year and a long term deal in 2012 which would make up for the loss of FA in a long term deal.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Well then

going through arbitration wont be horrible this year. Its another year to see if his body holds up, and they are still getting him under market value. And to be honest its more likely he has a worse season next year than an equal or better one considering the high level he performed at. So we'll see if they can get a deal done next year.
Bochy with the understatement of the decade

Quote:
Bochy acknowledged that he, too, might have to remain flexible, particularly in tailoring his game strategy to fit his personnel.

"We may not be as fast as we were last year.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
If the Giants somehow f**k the Timmy situation up I swear, it would take me a long time to get over it.

sounds like the Giants and Lincecum have agreed on a multi-year deal..still waiting for details to be announced..
Originally posted by samoan49er:
sounds like the Giants and Lincecum have agreed on a multi-year deal..still waiting for details to be announced..

Heard it on KNBR . . . NBC-Bay Area is reporting a two year deal, $$$ unknown at the moment.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Heard it on KNBR . . . NBC-Bay Area is reporting a two year deal, $$$ unknown at the moment.

According to Rosenthal it was 2 years for $23 million...

woohoo, I am happy to be wrong.

From MLBTR
Lincecum, Giants Agree To Two-Year $23MM Deal
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [February 12, 2010 at 10:50am CST]

10:50: Jon Heyman of SI.com tweets the details: Lincecum makes $8MM in 2010, $13MM in 2011 and a $2MM signing bonus to be split over the two years.

woohoo, I am happy to be wrong.

From MLBTR
Lincecum, Giants Agree To Two-Year $23MM Deal
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [February 12, 2010 at 10:50am CST]

10:50: Jon Heyman of SI.com tweets the details: Lincecum makes $8MM in 2010, $13MM in 2011 and a $2MM signing bonus to be split over the two years.

your are right again old man!! hehehe
Share 49ersWebzone