LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

SF Giants Off Season Thread

Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Youre trippin John. Giants had the second lowest ERA among starting rotations last year. We are definitely top 4-5 even without a definite 5. If Bumgarner becomes the 5 and lives up to his starts last year and his hype overall we certainly do.

We have potentially a top 5 staff but it certainly isnt a definite. First of all comparing NL and AL eras is just silly based on the DH. There is no way you can tell me that the Giants starting pitching is better than Boston's or New Yorks. When you dont have an easy out at the end of the lineup of course your ERA is going to be higher.

The other factor that resulted in our low era was the amazing years that Lincecum and Cain had. However, they only pitch 40% of the starts and the Giants still have question marks after those 2. You know how much I like Sanchez but he has to prove he can pitch well over an entire year.

The point is.. you think its "ridiculous" that someone didnt put our beloved Giants as a top 4 starting staff. I think its not ridiculous at all given the fact that we have no proven 5th starter and 2 other guys who basically threw well for 1/2 the year.
Hopefully they will be the TOP staff in the NL. TIme will tell.

Regardless of leagues, are you telling me 2nd in era is something to shake your head at? It may be as you said an advantage for the NL, but that still puts WAY up there.

I think you not only have to weigh strength from top to bottom, but also the individual strength of each starter. Lincecum is the best in the game, that has to mean something over other ace starters, even if he only does pitch 1 of 5. Sanchez is very good for a 4th starter imo. Zito, while stronger in the second half, came out on the whole not bad. I still say top 5 and yes that its ridiculous that we weren't even mentioned by the other two.

The absolute highest it would be would be 4th in my opinion and that is if they get a dependable 5th starter and Sanchez and Zito pitch more consistently. Lets just agree than they have the potential to be at the top of the NL. That I will go along with. To get to that point Todd Wellermeyer wont be the 5th starter thats for sure.

I agree that the highest is 4th certainly. NYY and BOS are too strong. StL is probably 3.

The reason I was really upset was one of them had CWS and another had the Braves, both of whom i think we out rank.

And Todd Wellermeyer better not be the 5th starter or I will be very upset.

Apparently the theme for this years free agency period is, "Hey! He was pretty good two years ago!"

I think unless he has a 6+ ERA in ST he'll make the team and be the 5th starter.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Youre trippin John. Giants had the second lowest ERA among starting rotations last year. We are definitely top 4-5 even without a definite 5. If Bumgarner becomes the 5 and lives up to his starts last year and his hype overall we certainly do.

We have potentially a top 5 staff but it certainly isnt a definite. First of all comparing NL and AL eras is just silly based on the DH. There is no way you can tell me that the Giants starting pitching is better than Boston's or New Yorks. When you dont have an easy out at the end of the lineup of course your ERA is going to be higher.

The other factor that resulted in our low era was the amazing years that Lincecum and Cain had. However, they only pitch 40% of the starts and the Giants still have question marks after those 2. You know how much I like Sanchez but he has to prove he can pitch well over an entire year.

The point is.. you think its "ridiculous" that someone didnt put our beloved Giants as a top 4 starting staff. I think its not ridiculous at all given the fact that we have no proven 5th starter and 2 other guys who basically threw well for 1/2 the year.

Regardless of leagues, are you telling me 2nd in era is something to shake your head at? It may be as you said an advantage for the NL, but that still puts WAY up there.

I think you not only have to weigh strength from top to bottom, but also the individual strength of each starter. Lincecum is the best in the game, that has to mean something over other ace starters, even if he only does pitch 1 of 5. Sanchez is very good for a 4th starter imo. Zito, while stronger in the second half, came out on the whole not bad. I still say top 5 and yes that its ridiculous that we weren't even mentioned by the other two.

The absolute highest it would be would be 4th in my opinion and that is if they get a dependable 5th starter and Sanchez and Zito pitch more consistently. Lets just agree than they have the potential to be at the top of the NL. That I will go along with. To get to that point Todd Wellermeyer wont be the 5th starter thats for sure.

I agree that the highest is 4th certainly. NYY and BOS are too strong. StL is probably 3.

The reason I was really upset was one of them had CWS and another had the Braves, both of whom i think we out rank.

Apparently the theme for this years free agency period is, "Hey! He was pretty good two years ago!"

I think unless he has a 6+ ERA in ST he'll make the team and be the 5th starter.

Minor league contract.

Dont get your panties in a bunch until he makes the team, think happy thoughts until that moment.
Is this the best we can do? I hope not!!

Wellemeyer could have bursitis, tendinitis , rheumatism and mononucleosis, cruise in on a wheel chair, slam in to a wall, fall over and bang his head and still pass a Giants physical.
[ Edited by RogerCraig on Feb 10, 2010 at 11:56 PM ]
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Is this the best we can do? I hope not!!

Wellemeyer could have bursitis, tendinitis , rheumatism and mononucleosis, cruise in on a wheel chair, slam in to a wall, fall over and bang his head and still pass a Giants physical.

Sabean and co. see this as a GAMER
yea I kinda agree with NJ! Matt Cain started out terrific but fell off in aug. Zito had a great second half! Sanchez is hit or miss, but has potential if he can become more than a strike out pitcher, Madbum, we shall see, but will have some tough outing IF he is our 5th. Timmy is really the only constant we have on our staff! Cain should be fine, I don't know about zito and sanchez!
per espn

"There is a chance the Giants could avoid an arbitration hearing with Tim Lincecum.

For weeks we heard that the two sides were not close to a deal and were headed to a hearing, which is scheduled for Friday. Now there is word from the San Francisco Chronicle that discussions are taking place on a multi-year deal.

The Chronicle reports the Giants have made a three-year, $37 million offer, while the Lincecum camp countered with a proposal of more than $40 million.

The Giants' arbitration offer of $8 million is the most for a player with less than three years of service time. The two-time Cy Young winner submitted a request for $13 million. Lincecum's offer is considered low, but is also a more "winnable" figure should a hearing take place. "
Originally posted by maximill15:
per espn

"There is a chance the Giants could avoid an arbitration hearing with Tim Lincecum.

For weeks we heard that the two sides were not close to a deal and were headed to a hearing, which is scheduled for Friday. Now there is word from the San Francisco Chronicle that discussions are taking place on a multi-year deal.

The Chronicle reports the Giants have made a three-year, $37 million offer, while the Lincecum camp countered with a proposal of more than $40 million.

The Giants' arbitration offer of $8 million is the most for a player with less than three years of service time. The two-time Cy Young winner submitted a request for $13 million. Lincecum's offer is considered low, but is also a more "winnable" figure should a hearing take place. "

I have always thought they would avoid arbitration and still do. I think a 3 year -39 is fair. Get it done!
Giants are getting a deal. if Timmy signs on the dotted line, Staggered salary for 3 years, starting out 9.5 million for 2010, $12.5 million for 2011 and $15 million for 2012.

How much is Captain Zero getting?
Here is what I think the deal should be for Timmy:

2010 10.5 million ( surpasses the 10 million that Howard got)
2011 13.0
2012 15.5

total 39 million for 3 years with a 2.5 million increase each year. Fair for both sides
i just hope it gets done. i really dont want them to go to arb. It would just be a distraction, however minor it may be, and no matter how cool timmy would be throughout the process, it would still suck.

so get it done. the 3 year for 40ish sounds right.

**im getting really excited for the season. I know you guys have discussed the off season to no end, but here is my input:

not crazy about huff/derosa, but if one of them stays healthy and hits .280 for 20 hr, it would be a nice help, but my hopes are not high. We need rowand to settle in somewhere in the lineup and be semi-consistent, even if its only hitting .260.

I am looking for nate to be a big contributor, and if he can be, I think we see a nice offensive upgrade from last season. It would be awesome to see buster get some time and to hit well, but im ok if he starts in AAA.

im am most frustrated with our middle infielders... renteria and a banged up sanchez? it could be ugly if sanchez doesnt get healthy and return to form. we will see.

anyways, go giants!

The newspaper reported that Lincecum's camp responded with an offer worth more than $40 million.

However, baseball sources told Olney that as of noon ET Thursday, the two sides were not close to a deal.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by notsoempty86:
i just hope it gets done. i really dont want them to go to arb. It would just be a distraction, however minor it may be, and no matter how cool timmy would be throughout the process, it would still suck.

so get it done. the 3 year for 40ish sounds right.

**im getting really excited for the season. I know you guys have discussed the off season to no end, but here is my input:

not crazy about huff/derosa, but if one of them stays healthy and hits .280 for 20 hr, it would be a nice help, but my hopes are not high. We need rowand to settle in somewhere in the lineup and be semi-consistent, even if its only hitting .260.

I am looking for nate to be a big contributor, and if he can be, I think we see a nice offensive upgrade from last season. It would be awesome to see buster get some time and to hit well, but im ok if he starts in AAA.

im am most frustrated with our middle infielders... renteria and a banged up sanchez? it could be ugly if sanchez doesnt get healthy and return to form. we will see.

anyways, go giants!

We need good production from guys like DeRosa and Sanchez, Huff and Nate gotta make some noise too. Lots of if's and but's about this team. It certainly has potential

Minor league contract.

Dont get your panties in a bunch until he makes the team, think happy thoughts until that moment.

Nothing's bunched bro, I'm just calling it like I see it. You can all make fun of me if he pitches a sub-6 ERA while staying healthy and doesn't make it as a 5th starter.

Minor league contract.

Nothing's bunched bro, I'm just calling it like I see it. You can all make fun of me if he pitches a sub-6 ERA while staying healthy and doesn't make it as a 5th starter.

I think he probably is the favorite to be the 5th starter to start the season. Not my favorite obviously.
according to sfgiants.com, the team offered Timmy 3 years-37M guarenteed. Timmy countered with +40M
Share 49ersWebzone