There are 195 users in the forums

SF Giants Off Season Thread

The one thing we dont know is whether the Giants have made strong reasonable offers to Lincecum and its been turned down. I hope we dont find out that Timmy and his agent are asking for an offer that is way out of line. I still believe it is in everyone's best interest to sign him to a Felix-Verlander kind of deal. I just find it hard to imagine that Lincecum would want to turn down $85 million or so in guaranteed money. Once that contract is signed he is set for life.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Looks like I may have been wrong on Lincecum. I never thought this would actually get to an arbitration hearing and that they would sign a long term deal. Why on earth would you want to go into a meeting to bash your star player and the best thing that has happened to the team in many years. It just makes no sense at all.

Giants

I honestly have no idea what the hell the Giants are doing here. f**k Aubrey Huff and Mark DeRosa. If the team is being such a*****es about money I'd rather them give in more to Lincecum than signing these 2 over the hill pieces of s**t. Not to mention Freddy "B!tch" Sanchez.

Huff, DeRosa, Renta Wreck, Aaron and Captain Zero are screwing this team big time. The verdict is still out on Freddie. I threw Huff and DeRosa into the mix because I can't believe they will return to past glory years. Who knows what Timmy will do the next 5 or 6 years? But , I'd be willing to take a chance with him.
[ Edited by RogerCraig on Feb 10, 2010 at 12:14 PM ]
we bay area fans have been cursed with inept sorry ass front offices other than the sharks
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
we bay area fans have been cursed with inept sorry ass front offices other than the sharks

seriously!
The one thing we dont know is whether the Giants have made strong reasonable offers to Lincecum and its been turned down. I hope we dont find out that Timmy and his agent are asking for an offer that is way out of line. I still believe it is in everyone's best interest to sign him to a Felix-Verlander kind of deal. I just find it hard to imagine that Lincecum would want to turn down $85 million or so in guaranteed money. Once that contract is signed he is set for life.

It's probably going to go something like this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/080221&sportCat=mlb

Let's not forget Ryan Howard won the MVP and is an everyday player and got a record $10 million in an arbitration hearing. I'm curious to see how this goes to be honest.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

Let's not forget Ryan Howard won the MVP and is an everyday player and got a record $10 million in an arbitration hearing. I'm curious to see how this goes to be honest.

If it goes to arbitration the Giants dont win. Timmy will get the bigger payday in my opinion. If he does lose.. dont you think that puts a bad taste in his mouth. He just might never forget that. Again, hopefully something gets done soon.

and I'm pissed that I don't even follow hockey, I wish I did

You should start. Even if they're a playoff flop, at least they can provide you with joy for around 5 months. The other Bay Area teams.....
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blunt_probe:

You should start. Even if they're a playoff flop, at least they can provide you with joy for around 5 months. The other Bay Area teams.....

Come on the Giants won 88 games last year, that's hardly worthy of

If it goes to arbitration the Giants dont win. Timmy will get the bigger payday in my opinion. If he does lose.. dont you think that puts a bad taste in his mouth. He just might never forget that. Again, hopefully something gets done soon.

Not really, I think the players understand that it's just business at this point. The Phillies literally low-balled the s**t out of Ryan Howard, they went to arb. and he's still with them and somewhat happy I'd imagine. I don't think it's a done deal that he'll win at this point. I'd actually be somewhat surprised if he did.

Since he's a first year arb. player, the norm is to get about 40% of his market worth. Which, assuming he's worth as much as Sabathia at $21 million (which as a projected 8 WAR pitcher he is), that's only about $8.4 million dollars in his arb case, which is only $400k more than the Giants are offering.

Again, I'd love a 5-6 year deal worth $80-$90 million at this point instead, but I'd be very surprised to see it actually happen.

Not really, I think the players understand that it's just business at this point. The Phillies literally low-balled the s**t out of Ryan Howard, they went to arb. and he's still with them and somewhat happy I'd imagine. I don't think it's a done deal that he'll win at this point. I'd actually be somewhat surprised if he did.

Since he's a first year arb. player, the norm is to get about 40% of his market worth. Which, assuming he's worth as much as Sabathia at $21 million (which as a projected 8 WAR pitcher he is), that's only about $8.4 million dollars in his arb case, which is only $400k more than the Giants are offering.

Again, I'd love a 5-6 year deal worth $80-$90 million at this point instead, but I'd be very surprised to see it actually happen.

Actually the Phillies offer was $7 million which was only 3 million less than what he asked for and was awarded. Lincecum's offer from the Giants is $5 million less. I think the Giants lowballed Timmy and may in fact lose because of it. Howard did win the MVP but no one has won 2 major awards back to back years like Lincecum and then gone into arbitration. We shall see but my bet would still be on Lincecum with this one. Still think there is a good chance a deal gets done before hand though.

I have a feeling the Giants are offering perfectly reasonable 2 year contracts that eliminate arbitration years for timmy. I think he is turning them down because he wants a long term deal and they would prefer to get rid of a couple arb years and see if he stays healthy.

Just my guess as to whats going on.
LOL Morgan Ensberg of the Astros just called the Giants the 5th best team in baseball after the Phils, Cards, Yanks, and Sox.

I wish.

Kurkjian said we had the number 4 pitching staff and then Ensberg said we werent even in the top 5!

I hate these analysts.
[ Edited by IdentityCrisis on Feb 10, 2010 at 12:53 PM ]
So these players are/were available after we locked up De Rosa, Huff, and a re-upped Molina.

Johny Damon's still left and reportedly offered a one year deal > De Rosa.

Branyan > Huff.

O-Dog just recently signed > Fraud Sanchez

Molina = Torrealba.

LF: Damon
CF: Rowand
RF: Schieholtz
3B: Panda
SS: Rent-a-wreck/Uribe
2B: Hudson
1B:Branyan
C: Molina/Torrealba....

Lot better than Huff/De Rosa/Sanchez....by miles.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
LOL Morgan Ensberg of the Astros just called the Giants the 5th best team in baseball after the Phils, Cards, Yanks, and Sox.

I wish.

Kurkjian said we had the number 4 pitching staff and then Ensberg said we werent even in the top 5!

I hate these analysts.

Wait.. Ensberg thinks we have the 5th best team but not the 5th best pitching staff? Am I reading that right? I guess he loves our incredible power lineup.
Share 49ersWebzone