There are 228 users in the forums

SF Giants Off Season Thread

Time to start talking about next year. We were all hoping for two things to happen this year. But both didn't and Sabean and Bochy will be back next year barring a divine intervention. With that said, our future looks bright.

Needs,

POWER

Situational hitters

Rest in the offseason for a certain 23 yr old.

Added confidence in a changeup for a 24 yr old
So do we trade a pitcher for a power player? I was hearing Sanchez or Cain for Prince Fielder?
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
So do we trade a pitcher for a power player? I was hearing Sanchez or Cain for Prince Fielder?

Our pitching staff for next year should be like this:

STARTERS
1. Lincecum
2. Cain
3. Zito
4. Sanchez*
5. Baumgarner
*If Brad Penny resigns then I would trade Sanchez for a bat.

The pitching staff should remain the same (except for Howry. He's got to go!) We need a right-handed power hitter -- lefthanded powerhitters in this park become warning track hitters (see Adam Dunn, 2008).

Also, if I had the power, I would move Rowand and Renteria (contract dump) and let the youngsters play like Velez, Torres, et. al. Both of those guys are not earning their money.

Freddie Sanchez NEEDS to resign with us. He OWES us. He was injured and he knew it (so did management). He needs to show the fans that he was worth trading for at the deadline.

Molina will not be signed. Posey will take over and will be an upgrade at the position.

So here's the list (well, my list anyway):

1. Right-handed corner outfielder with power
2. Right-handed 1st baseman with power

If Brad Penny re-signs, and we trade Sanchez for one of the above, I'll be happy. If we get both of the above, I would be ECSTATIC!!!

Here's our optimal projected lineup for 2010:

C - Posey
1B - FA
2B - Sanchez
3B - Sandoval
SS - Uribe (I know, he lacks range, but it's a stopgap for now)
LF - FA
CF - Velez, or Torres
RF - Schierholtz, or FA
Already been posted but here is my offseason plan:

The giants have to trade for a power hitter this offseason. There is no way they can go into next season with an offense they had this year.
Trade Cain for Fielder
Sign Abreu (2 yrs max)
Sign Sheets or Duchscherer
Decline option on F. Sanchez

2B-Velez
SS-Rentaria (unfortunately)
3B-Pablo
1B-Fielder
LF-Abreu
C-Posey
RF- Nate
CF-Rowand (unfortunately)

Timmy
Zito
Sheets/Duchscherer
Sanchez
5th starter filler till MadBum is ready

Bullpen is set

Thoughts?
Resign Brad Penny. I hate to say this but we will have to trade one of our pitchers for a bat and I'm starting to think that Matt Cain will be the one to go.

Jonathan Sanchez will not get us back a power hitter like Fielder. I also don't want to trade Sanchez. If he continues to pitch well and not implode, he could be better than Cain.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Resign Brad Penny. I hate to say this but we will have to trade one of our pitchers for a bat and I'm starting to think that Matt Cain will be the one to go.

Jonathan Sanchez will not get us back a power hitter like Fielder. I also don't want to trade Sanchez. If he continues to pitch well and not implode, he could be better than Cain.

He's a lot harder to hit than Cain. He just needs to cut down on his walks.

Has anyone noticed that Jonathan Sanchez changed his pitch delivery? It looks like Randy Johnson had some influence in it.
Ninerjohn's Off Season Plan to get the team back to the promised land. I have posted this quite a few times but will do it again:

Do's
1) Trade Cain and prospect(s) for Fielder
2) Go after Dye and Abreu for reasonable base (incentive laden) deals for 2 yrs
3) Sign Brad Penny to $10 million - 2 year deal with incentives
4) Offer Benji a 1 year deal for 5-6 million.
5) Sign Uribe to a 1 year deal - 3 million

DONTS
1) Trade Jonathon Sanchez - period. You are not going to get a great bat for him and I will not trade him for less. His 2nd half emergence what awesome and he has the 2nd best stuff on the team.

2) Pick up Freddy Sanchez option. PERIOD AGAIN. If you cant sign him to a 2-3 yr deal at 5 million per ok. Otherwise.... cya

Lineup for 2010 if these changes were made:
1) Velez 2b
2) Abreu rf
3) Pablo 3b
4) Fielder 1b
5) Dye lf
6) Uribe ss
7) Posey/Molina c
8) Rowand cf

Bench:
INF Garko (rh bat against LH)
Renteria - ugh for 1 more year
Molina
??????? - 1 more to fill out roster - preferably can play 2b,SS

OF Torres,
Schierholtz

SP
Lincecum
Zito
Penny
Sanchez
Bumgarner

Pen
Wilson
Romo
Affeldt
Runzler
Medders
Martinez (long relief - spot starter)

Reality:
1) Abreu resigns with Angels - so we may have Nate in RF which I would be OK with
if we get power hitters like Fielder and Dye

2) Milwaukee asks for too much for Fielder and we have to look for another source
for power. Option.. prospects to Washington for Adam Dunn to play 1b.

I trust myself much more than Sabean. LOL Well.. I pretty much trust anyone more than him.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

Has anyone noticed that Jonathan Sanchez changed his pitch delivery? It looks like Randy Johnson had some influence in it.

It's because he has better stuff than Cain does, he's just not really there yet mentally. If they have to trade Cain and can get Fielder in return, I'm fine with that. I'd hate to see him go, but oh well, what are you going to do? I'd also love to try to dump Rowand and Renteria if they could. Anything else would just be icing IMO.
I was expecting alot worse than what we did this year. Hat's off to the crew.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

It's because he has better stuff than Cain does, he's just not really there yet mentally. If they have to trade Cain and can get Fielder in return, I'm fine with that. I'd hate to see him go, but oh well, what are you going to do? I'd also love to try to dump Rowand and Renteria if they could. Anything else would just be icing IMO.

Bradley for Rowand straight up with no money changing hands works for me as well. That would be an option for sure if we couldnt get Abreu. Play Torres in CF.

I dont see any team in their right minds taking Renteria unless the Giants paid 7.5 of the 9 million owed.

If we can't resign Molina to help mentor Buster Posey, I really wouldn't mind signing Jason Kendall to a one year deal. I know he's not a big bat, but he makes a pitcher work and has a good eye.
I can see the monetary reason of why some want Bradley for Rowand, but why in the hell would we want a guy with character issues like him? So we go from a guy who is at best streaky yet a team player, to a guy that will complain and act out rather than produce?
Originally posted by djb49:
I can see the monetary reason of why some want Bradley for Rowand, but why in the hell would we want a guy with character issues like him? So we go from a guy who is at best streaky yet a team player, to a guy that will complain and act out rather than produce?

Yes.. to save $21 million dollars. I think that makes it worth it dont you???
anyone have the FA list?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by djb49:

Yes.. to save $21 million dollars. I think that makes it worth it dont you???

I DO! I DO!

hahaha get rowand outta here, he's stealing money.
Share 49ersWebzone