LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

Oakland A's Offseason Thread

• ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerpride:
Dye? That's probably best case scenario.

Maybe more realistic in terms of a hitter and maybe defender at least is somebody like Rios the former TOR and now current ChiSox OF.

Course you'd want the Rios from 06-08 and not the one we saw last season where he just stunk for both teams. But in those three years before, he hit at or around .300 with well over a .800+ OPS and 40 2B/20 HR/80 RBI. Probably won't steal as many bases but don't see Taylor K'ing that much either.

Taylor does have about 30-40 lbs on Rios so possibly he has more power potential also.

Well..Hopefully he does develop into a Jermaine Dye ..lets be a little optimistic since our team isnt good right now
According to Rosenthal, the A's are in serious discussions in talking with FA UTIL OF G.Gross who played last season with TB.

.227/.36/.355 line in 282 ABs in 09?

Okay???? You'd think if somebody like Patterson or even Buck were given that many ABs last season, they could've put up similar and IMO better #s.

• ImaMod
  • Veteran
Why?? What good is he gonna do??
We have .270 ish contact hitters, whats a .240 career hitter going to do for us?
Still dont get why we dont go after any power hitters, when our roster clearly lacks power
750K for Gross.

He'll earn incentives for specific ABs reached.

25K for 300 and 350 ABs.

50K for 400+50 and so on.

Okay...
I'd rather have Buck.
Obvious Buck is done with this org.

Something he did just pissed off this org to the point where they decided to promote AAAA talents like Carson/Everidge over Buck last season.

Just two years ago, Buck was seen as a building block, reason why they may have dealt Either before 06 not only because Bradley could help them win then but they had Buck who they liked very much.

Looked like midway thru 07, Buck was the equal to an Either but then the injuries hit, Either I think shocked many including both the A's and Dodgers became an all star while Buck was on the DL fighting thru numerous aches and pains.

Buck started off 08 awful, I mean record setting awful, had that huge series against TOR up north but got injured again. Had a HUGE SEP of 08, and I thought he showed the best pure power/average potential among all the A's young players in the bigs...thought for sure 2010 was gonna be a breakout season but then it just never worked out.

At this point Sweeney and Suzuki took that potential next step up in 09 that I thought Buck would've, hopefully Barton repeats what Sweeney and especially Suzuki did in 09 this season but Buck I wouldn't be shocked at all, in fact I'd be downright surprised if he still with this team by midseason.

Looks as if he isn't gonna be dealt before the season, that the A's may just wanna see him boost his stock in AAA as that's probably where he's gonna start 2010, and deal him at the deadline...maybe packaged along with a Sheets/Duke if the A's aren't competing and they're looking to deal either or both for prospects.

I still think Buck can be a solid player, sort of in the Sweeney mode but it won't be with the A's.
A's trade Aaron Miles and a PTBNL for Willy Tavares and Adam Rosales. Another speedy center fielder type and another backup 3rd baseman. Something bigger is definitely up.

OF Depth
Davis
Crisp
Tavares
Sweeney
Gross
Patterson
Buck

3B Depth
Kouz
Chavez
Fox
Rosales

And no backup SS to speak of.

This certainly has been a fun offseason to say the least. Though I do worry about the PTBNL trades. Hope we don't give up anyone too good.
nvm actually. The A's DFA Tavares. And Rosales has played some shortstop.

So basically a swap of bad contracts, the A's take on a little more cash to get Rosales. So say hello to our new utility infielder. Hopefully he turns out to be the next Scutaro and hopefully that PTBNL turns out to be something inconsequential.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
So basically we traded a scrub outfielder for a scrub infielder?
Originally posted by ImaMod:
So basically we traded a scrub outfielder for a scrub infielder?

No we traded Miles and his contract and either a PTBNL or cash for Willy Tavares and his even uglier contract and a so far scrub infilder Rosario who has nice minor league numbers and hopefully has some projectability left in him.

Don't really know how the money is working out

Tavares 4 million (DFA)
Miles 2.7 million.

And of course the money from the Cubs. It depends on the payment method. If it's a check for a million dollars than it comes out as Tavares' 4 million minus 1 million from the Cubs.

If the Cubs are paying part of his contract then it comes out as a $1.3 million gain for us and a 2.3 million saving for the Reds.

If it's scenario #1 it's actually quite crafty on the A's part. The A's only add $300,000 to payroll and get a young utility player they like. Meanwhile the Reds save $1.3 million dollars.

My guess is the Reds get their choice of Patterson, Buck (although I hope not), or one of a couple other fringe players.

This trade plus the Gross signing brought us up to 43 on the 40 man roster, Tavares and Eveland were DFA but there's still one to many players. Hmmmm.....

I still don't get the Gross signing one bit.

EDIT: Petit DFA'd. Well that answers the 40 man roster question.
[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Feb 1, 2010 at 3:15 PM ]

I have a feeling that Rosales cold become a fan favorite (if he can hit reasonably well and play decent defense) ala Scutaro. Apparently he sprints to first base after taking a walk, sprints around the bases after hitting a homerun and sprints out to his position in the field.
[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Feb 1, 2010 at 3:22 PM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I have a feeling that Rosales cold become a fan favorite (if he can hit reasonably well and play decent defense) ala Scutaro. Apparently he sprints to first base after taking a walk, sprints around the bases after hitting a homerun and sprints out to his position in the field.

Hmm thats interesting
Remember when Jason Kendall used to sprint to first n matter how shallow or hard he het the ball
Okay, A's have their utility IF, like the guy and he's a hustle player so that'll be nice to have.

Wonder who the PTBNL is.
Also Lurie is leaving the A's and going across the bay to host their weekend pre/post game show.

Wonder if the A's will replace his show with another one or just forget about it and have no pre game show leading into the A's official pre game show with Korach and comp.

Mentioned former KNBR host B.McGowen before as a possible replacement to Buan on the post game show, he filled in during a rain delay against the NYY midway thru 09. Could he be a replacement for the pre game show, hell I'd still take him over a Buan too.

Course a dream scenario for me personally would to have somebody like Krueger who was fired from his satellite show late last year, don't know if he's been hired since, to be the A's "voice" on the radio least in a pre/post game show role. A's did the same wither another KNBR host a decade ago with Herrera who left midway thru 00, Buan has had the job since, to take on a national show but now he's working with TB for much of the past decade now.

I want a "pro" doing the A's pre/post game show, something I just don't get with Buan who sounds as he should be doing college radio somewhere. I want some damn passion which I don't get with Buan who doesn't like to criticize or take any kind of stance on a issue with the team and org.

I don't listen to the A's post game show much anymore for the past 4 or so seasons, just got tired of Buan's passive nature.

I think somebody like Krueger or somebody who just sounds as they give a damn or sounds upset after something bad happens with the org be it a game or personal move that fans don't agree with would do so much for the show than it stands at this point.

Course I've felt this way about 860 in general and the need for local call in shows, at least one or two at the most just to talk about the east bay sports scene.
A's also DFA'ed Eveland and Petit.

Thought Eveland might have a shot as a LM in the pen. He started off well in 08 and after tinkering with his delivery after coming back from AAA late in the season, looked as he may have pushed for a at least a role as a backend rotation arm.

So the two lesser arms the A's got in the Haren deal with ARZ are both gone with Smith going in the deal for Holliday last offseason and now Eveland being DFA'ed. Only one left standing of course is Anderson and along with Carter, the only players left from the deal itself with Cunningham/Gonzalez also dealt from the deal in the past year or so.

Petit? Seemed as he never progressed well enough past 07 I think when some thought he could be a potential at least short term option at SS. Course this was looking at the time as Pennington was struggling to hit at AA for the second half of 07 first half of 08.
Share 49ersWebzone