There are 228 users in the forums

Official 2009-2010 WORLD CHAMPION LA Lakers Thread

Originally posted by LA9erFan:

When does that come out???
It honestly hasn't even quite hit me that we are back 2 back champions quite yet. I keep sayng it to people, but when I think about it, this is f**king awesome, man. I love the Lakers, you guys, and even all the haters that deep down inside love us.

PS: I'm hammered in the city right now in what I have declared to my friends to be my back 2 back championship celebration. Drinks are on me!!!
  • dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
It honestly hasn't even quite hit me that we are back 2 back champions quite yet. I keep sayng it to people, but when I think about it, this is f**king awesome, man. I love the Lakers, you guys, and even all the haters that deep down inside love us.

PS: I'm hammered in the city right now in what I have declared to my friends to be my back 2 back championship celebration. Drinks are on me!!!

I agree dude.

It hasn't really sunk in yet ... damn we are lucky to be Lakers fans!
Originally posted by dman:

I agree dude.

Hasn't sunk in with me yet either. And to your point about how lucky we are as Laker fans, some of the members of LG who are in their late 30's/early 40's were making Top 10 lists of their favorite championships in their lifetimes. LOL. Think about how crazy that is for a second.
Originally posted by dman:

I agree dude.

Hasn't sunk in with me yet either. And to your point about how lucky we are as Laker fans, some of the members of LG who are in their late 30's/early 40's were making Top 10 lists of their favorite championships in their lifetimes. LOL. Think about how crazy that is for a second.

What, you think you guys are the only one?

Here's my list

Warriors

1. 1974-75*

So, IWAS only 4, but clearly remember my dad and uncles gathered around a tv screaming/cheering.

[ Edited by IWASATTHECATCH on Jun 19, 2010 at 08:20:19 ]
I was discussing Kobe's legacy with some Celtic fans on celticblog.com, (which is an excellent site) and it really became clear to me that Kobe is the most under-appreciated NBA star of all time.

They say "he Shaq & then Pau", or "he's only been the best player on two of these teams." However...

Magic - Was the best player on only 3 of the title teams, played w/one of the best centers ever, and two of his teammates were Top 50. Plus he had an excellent role players and a bench.

Bird - 3 titles, had two other Top 50 players next to him, and other great role players like DJ, Maxwell, Ainge, etc.

Jordan - Had one of the Top 50 of all time, the greatest rebounder ever for 3 of them, and great role players/bench all around him.

Who's Kobe's Top 50 player next to him? How good is our bench? Considering that Bynum's been SEVERELY limited the last 2 years, how good is the talent around Kobe compared to the talent that those guys had?
I was discussing Kobe's legacy with some Celtic fans on celticblog.com, (which is an excellent site) and it really became clear to me that Kobe is the most under-appreciated NBA star of all time.

They say "he Shaq & then Pau", or "he's only been the best player on two of these teams." However...

Magic - Was the best player on only 3 of the title teams, played w/one of the best centers ever, and two of his teammates were Top 50. Plus he had an excellent role players and a bench.

Bird - 3 titles, had two other Top 50 players next to him, and other great role players like DJ, Maxwell, Ainge, etc.

Jordan - Had one of the Top 50 of all time, the greatest rebounder ever for 3 of them, and great role players/bench all around him.

Who's Kobe's Top 50 player next to him? How good is our bench? Considering that Bynum's been SEVERELY limited the last 2 years, how good is the talent around Kobe compared to the talent that those guys had?

Oh man thats good. Imma steal that if you dont mind.

Good points, Pete.

You're gonna' hate this but... to me, that proves how important image is, in relation to the love/respect/adoration/appreciation a player's legacy receives. Right or wrong, perception IS reality. As much as you know I hate the lakers, I loved watching Magic. He was a joy to learn from, as far as play and passion and personality. (I even pulled for 80s LA over Boston because of him)

Bird- His perception was that of a cold-blooded assassin, Clint Eastwood-style, IMO. And as much as he hurt his opponents, you knew he probably do exactly what you're most afraid of him doing to you- ripping your heart out and showing it to you.

MJ- Everyone dreams of flying. MJ realized those dreams and we slowed them down and froze them in time down for some sweet-ass images. He had the tongue, and the smile, and everyone wanted to be like Mike. Yes, he was an a-hole who punched teammates, but he did that when the world wasn't looking- behind closed doors. All we heard were stories, and that didn't compromise him in any way; it added to the intrigue.

Kobe- Capable of doing darn near everything mentioned above BUT he frickin' broke Man Law when he got busted. He snitched. He's a rat. One of the most talented NBA players, but sealed his fate by telling cops, when the interrogation lamp was in his pupils, another mans' business. It's his reality, and so shall that perception remain. It's not just what you do that counts, it's how you do it. And he did it wrong, and that's his "legacy"- an unlikable snitch who wins more often than not. Rank him how you will, but know others are doing the same.

By all means, MBC.

Kobe + legit #2 option = Championship contender.

Pau's good and all, but when he got to the Lakers he was a 27 year old, one-time all-star that had never led his team to a playoff win, and never in the discussion amongst the best at his position. Now he's "the best offensive big man in the game". Amazing how that happened.

Kobe's just held to this ridiculous standard that no one else has ever been held to. Could you imagine if Kobe retired, the Lakers replaced him in the starting lineup with Quinton Ross, and the rest of the Lakers went on to win 55 games the next year? Because that's exactly what happened when MJ retired.

It's all good though, cuz their arguments are gonna become more and more ridiculous as time goes by. Kobe ain't done winning titles.

Paul, you are absolutely on the money with that. It isn't just Colorado though. It's his whole persona. Most of these guys aren't nice guys at all, and have done some terrible things, but were much better in front of a camera. Even Bird.

I have no problem if other people don't like Kobe, but that spills over into how they view him as a basketball player. They're separate things. It's gonna happen anyway, like you said, but it doesn't make them valid points.

You know what I just realized? Kobe is a modern day Kareem.
Paul, you are absolutely on the money with that. It isn't just Colorado though. It's his whole persona. Most of these guys aren't nice guys at all, and have done some terrible things, but were much better in front of a camera. Even Bird.

I have no problem if other people don't like Kobe, but that spills over into how they view him as a basketball player. They're separate things. It's gonna happen anyway, like you said, but it doesn't make them valid points.

You know what I just realized? Kobe is a modern day Kareem.

I recognize kobe the player, just like I recognize Emmitt Smith. ES might be the all time leading rusher, but in no way is the best RB. knowhatimean? (But Emmitt has a character that K-Bean doesn't. )

Anyway, Kareem: the difference is he had a distrust and dislike for certain aspects of society that he saw/lived through/ experienced, both in the 60's and in Milwaukee, and those revolved around race and bigotry, IMO. I think "Cap" had every right not to trust Whitey, and to take a step back from many aspects that people view as a negative. I truly look at Cap as more than a basketball player. He is cultural icon, and an intellectual who stood for much more than a sport, and when he speaks I listen to the wisdom of his every word. Meanwhile, Kobe grins and I want to fking puke. He opens his mouth and I want to smash my tv.
Excerpts from the "Ron Artest should be the new Dos Equis Man" thread on LG...

-He's a lover, not a fighter, but he's also a fighter, so don't get any ideas.

-The police often question him, just because they find him interesting.

-He once had a sane moment, just to see how it feels.

-All stars ram their chin into his elbow just so that they could experience their one brush with greatness.

-He hears his coach talking to him even when his coach isn't talking.

-He once told a reporter to say "Queensbridge"...and he did.

And my personal favorite............

-Kobe Bryant passes him the ball.

He is...the most interesting Laker in the world.

Stay crazy, my friends.

[ Edited by LA9erFan on Jun 19, 2010 at 09:45:04 ]
Excerpts from the "Ron Artest should be the new Dos Equis Man" thread on LG...

-The police often question him, just because they find him interesting.

-He once had a sane moment, just to see how it feels.

-He hears his coach talking to him even when his coach isn't talking.

The angle I'm working with the Kareem/Kobe comparison is the "I find him to be a douche as a person, so I'm not gonna give him his just due on the court." Rightly or wrongly, Kareem was not well liked by the media or the general public. He's a fascinating and brilliant guy, and all of what you say is true, but his legacy took a hit because of that. He's a 6 time MVP, 6 time NBA champion, and 19 time all-star...but for some reason he isn't often in the discussion for GOAT, even though his resume warrants it. I think he's much more deserving of that title than Magic, but Magic's name usually comes up before his does. I think that's because of their personalities.
Share 49ersWebzone