There are 53 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NCAA | S. Johnson drops weight bar on throat

NCAA | S. Johnson drops weight bar on throat

Mon, 28 Sep 2009 16:41:21 -0700

Ted Miller, of ESPN.com, reports Southern California RB Stafon Johnson (throat) dropped a weight bar on his throat Monday, Sept. 28, and required emergency surgery. Johnson was bench pressing when the bar slipped and fell on his throat, according to the school. A source close to the program said Johnson was immediately coughing up blood. It is unclear how long he will be out for, but Johnson is unlikely to play Saturday, Oct. 3. Head strength and conditioning coach Chris Carlisle said Johnson was using a spotter at the time of the accident.

Ouch, thats gotta hurt.
[ Edited by MadMartz on Sep 28, 2009 at 4:54 PM ]
  • dman
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,453
Originally posted by MadMartz:
NCAA | S. Johnson drops weight bar on throat

Mon, 28 Sep 2009 16:41:21 -0700

Ted Miller, of ESPN.com, reports Southern California RB Stafon Johnson (throat) dropped a weight bar on his throat Monday, Sept. 28, and required emergency surgery. Johnson was bench pressing when the bar slipped and fell on his throat, according to the school. A source close to the program said Johnson was immediately coughing up blood. It is unclear how long he will be out for, but Johnson is unlikely to play Saturday, Oct. 3. Head strength and conditioning coach Chris Carlisle said Johnson was using a spotter at the time of the accident.

Ouch, thats gotta hurt.

Damn I hope hes OK

I was going to do bench tonight (no spotter) now maybe I wont

Oh my goodness. That's terrible. Glad he's okay -- Hopefully he'll recover quick.
ouch

he is a senior correct?

thats gotta suck too, cant finish your senior year because of a freak injury.
As if it couldnt get worse for USC.
Truly hope no USC haters make no stupid posts about him deserving that or any of that crap

It sounds like a nightmare, I hope he's alright and comes back from this, I ain't even happy that it happened right before the Cal game
I never bench press, even with a spotter, for this very reason. I go with the dumbbell chest press. Still dangerous, but not quite as bad I think.
The guy plays college football and doesn't know how to lift?
Originally posted by dobophile:
I never bench press, even with a spotter, for this very reason. I go with the dumbbell chest press. Still dangerous, but not quite as bad I think.

Bench isn't really that dangerous.

And you really should try alternating between dumbbell and barbell for better gains.
Ouch, i dont like usc but i hope hes okay. thats rough, hope he gets better soon.
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
The guy plays college football and doesn't know how to lift?

  • Brew
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 35,469
[ Edited by Brew on Sep 28, 2009 at 6:14 PM ]
emergency surgery for dropping weights on your throat doesn't sound good at all
nasty injury i hope he's ok

even with a spotter this happened

i hope there's no permanent damage
That's terrible, I hope he's okay.