There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Athletes of the Decade

  • dman
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,453
Athletes of the Decade according to Sporting News:


NFL Athlete of the Decade: Peyton Manning, QB, Colts
The most intense back-and-forth was Manning vs. Patriots QB Tom Brady.


College Football Athlete of the Decade: Matt Leinart, QB, USC
Matt Leinart isn't the people's choice (that would be Florida's Tim Tebow), but just look at Leinart's record with the Trojans.


MLB Athlete of the Decade: Albert Pujols, 1B, Cardinals
In the baseball category, there wasn't much discussion: Albert Pujols easily got the nod over Alex Rodriguez.


NBA Athlete of the Decade: Kobe Bryant, SG, Lakers
In the NBA, Kobe Bryant edged the Spurs' Tim Duncan.


NASCAR Athlete of the Decade: Jimmie Johnson, No. 48, Hendrick Motorsports
Three consecutive Cup championships form a pretty good basis for arguing Jimmie Johnson over two-time champ Tony Stewart.


College Basketball Athlete of the Decade: Tyler Hansbrough, C, North Carolina
Love him or hate him, Tyler Hansbrough was the decade's most influential player. He's SN's pick, over former Blue Devils point guard Jason Williams.


NHL Player of the Decade: Nicklas Lidstrom, D, Red Wings
You could make great arguments for Nicklas Lidstrom and Devils goalie Martin Brodeur, but Lidstrom's six Norris trophies in eight seasons were tough to beat.



http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/article/2009-09-24/sporting-news-athletes-decade
  • alam
  • Info N/A
I think Peyton is the better player, but I'd have to go with Brady as the NFL player of the decade. Come on. A guy that goes from a sixth round pick to a 3 time SB champ and a constant in the argument for best qb in the league?

College...Tebow. No question. Hell, I'd give it to Reggie Bush before Matt Leinart. I'll never forget the game where he single-handedly beat Fresno in '05.

Pujols - yes.

Kinda hard to argue against Kobe, no matter how much I'd like to.

Nascar, I don't care.

NCAAB: Not sure, but I think Stephen Curry deserves a mention at the very least. He put Davidson on the map.

NHL, I'm not Canadian.
MMA Athlete of the Decade:

Fedor "The Last Emperor" Emelianenko!

Originally posted by dman:
Athletes of the Decade according to Sporting News:


NFL Athlete of the Decade: Peyton Manning, QB, Colts
The most intense back-and-forth was Manning vs. Patriots QB Tom Brady.


College Football Athlete of the Decade: Matt Leinart, QB, USC
Matt Leinart isn't the people's choice (that would be Florida's Tim Tebow), but just look at Leinart's record with the Trojans.


MLB Athlete of the Decade: Albert Pujols, 1B, Cardinals
In the baseball category, there wasn't much discussion: Albert Pujols easily got the nod over Alex Rodriguez.


NBA Athlete of the Decade: Kobe Bryant, SG, Lakers
In the NBA, Kobe Bryant edged the Spurs' Tim Duncan.


NASCAR Athlete of the Decade: Jimmie Johnson, No. 48, Hendrick Motorsports
Three consecutive Cup championships form a pretty good basis for arguing Jimmie Johnson over two-time champ Tony Stewart.


College Basketball Athlete of the Decade: Tyler Hansbrough, C, North Carolina
Love him or hate him, Tyler Hansbrough was the decade's most influential player. He's SN's pick, over former Blue Devils point guard Jason Williams.


NHL Player of the Decade: Nicklas Lidstrom, D, Red Wings
You could make great arguments for Nicklas Lidstrom and Devils goalie Martin Brodeur, but Lidstrom's six Norris trophies in eight seasons were tough to beat.



http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/article/2009-09-24/sporting-news-athletes-decade

NFL Brady has to be the choice here
MLB Pujols easily
NBA Duncan by a bit over Kobe
NHL I would make a pick if I knew anyone or cared at all
Golf ummmmm lets see... ok Ill go on a limb and say Tiger
NCAA F Tebow has to be the pick in my opinion
NCAA B Hansbrogh easily
Racing Johnson
Tennis Federer

ALL Sports - Tiger Woods is easily the athlete of the decade
There are no athletes in Nascar
Originally posted by Conejo:
There are no athletes in Nascar

Or any motorsport for that matter.

-9fA
college football:

1. Tebow
2. Bush
3. Leinart
The Tiger Slam at the start of the decade pretty much seals it for Tiger even though he didn't win a major at all this year.
Originally posted by NolanMustDie:
The Tiger Slam at the start of the decade pretty much seals it for Tiger even though he didn't win a major at all this year.

Agreed. I would put the top 5 in this order:

1) Tiger - greatest golfer ever and most recognized athlete in world right now
2) Federer -will probably go down as greatest tennis champion ever
3) Pujols Best start of a career for any major league hitter.. so dominant!
4) Brady Not as individually dominant as the others on this list - but 3 SBs
5) Duncan I think this last spot would be up for debate.. Duncan here by a bit
Kobe is ahead of Duncan on the NBA AotD. Duncan lead the same squad to championships. Kobe was 2nd fiddle on the 3-peat run, then lead an entirely different team to another championship later in the decade. Duncan is clearly on the downside of his career, while Kobe is still in his prime. Maybe not at the level of explosion he once had, but few in the NBA are at his level.


  • dman
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,453
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Kobe is ahead of Duncan on the NBA AotD. Duncan lead the same squad to championships. Kobe was 2nd fiddle on the 3-peat run, then lead an entirely different team to another championship later in the decade. Duncan is clearly on the downside of his career, while Kobe is still in his prime. Maybe not at the level of explosion he once had, but few in the NBA are at his level.



Yep, Kobe has been the best this decade.

Im always hesitant to make pro-Kobe posts because of all the crybabies on the zone.