Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Worst holdout in professional sports history

alltime epic fail
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Esco:
LOL is that actually him?

Yup. He's from the town that's right next to where I grew up, and is 2 years younger than me. We had a mutual friend and I shot pool with him once, when he was still in high school. He already had a huge ego by the time he was 16 and was kind of a jackass. He was actually considered to be a possibility as the #1 pick, but he was (correctly) viewed as being difficult to sign, so he slipped to #7.

Sup LA. I went to HS with this guy...honestly my recollection of him is a little different...I had video production with him and he was a really cool guy. He knew he was the sh!t when it came to playing baseball but he wasn't a typical jock by any means.

He just got horrible advice....horrible, horrible, advice.

Don’t even blame it on horrible advice I don’t care who you are that dude has no damn sense in his body.

You’re drafted 7th overall and they want to give you 4.9m then the next draft the best you can do is a 1.2m signing bonus and you somehow still think you can do better than the original?

Even the dumbest motherf**ker on earth would have taken the 5k-20k deal and get into a system.

This douche is the king of dumb ass mo fos

The End
Hubris is a very bad thing. There’s an easy lesson there that others can learn from.
I am really glad not 1 but 2 zoners kind of know this guy. I read this story and as much as I try I can't shake the idea that guy must have been the dumbest person to ever walk this earth.

BUT, neither of you are saying he was particularly slow.

I guess the lesson learned is, you don't have to be galactically stupid to make a really really stupid choice, and even consecutive bone headed choices.

I really can't accept the agent/advice defense much either, at the end of the day grown up little boys have to think for themselves too
[ Edited by danimal on Sep 16, 2009 at 1:32 PM ]
I'm not saying he wasn't to blame, but he was what, 17 or 18 when he was drafted...I'm pretty sure the (stupid) decision he made was influenced by the people around him.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
I'm not saying he wasn't to blame, but he was what, 17 or 18 when he was drafted...I'm pretty sure the (stupid) decision he made was influenced by the people around him.

the worst part is he kept doing the same thing every year for 5 years. 1 OK, kind of understandable...but then to follow it up 4 more times!

Geesh, those 2nd grade pattern recognition tests must have kicked the s**t out of him.
that sucks
We need to bring this guy to our meeting with Crabtree. Take the money while you can ___ hole you're not getting more by holding out.
I sure as hell don't feel sorry for him.

Idiot.

-9fA
Classic example of greed and stupidity at its finest.