Emerald Bowl, BC vs. USC

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by cestmoi:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by 49er4life:
I tell you what, Nebraska's D is one of the best conditioned defenses I have ever seen. They have been on the field all game, and are still playing with a fire under there arses....
nah texas tech raped them to the tune of thirty one points

Held you guys to 250 yards of total offense though, right? That's gotta be your lowest offensive output in some time.

actually we were raping them and on our way to 400 yards ... pretty typical for tech ... then our QB broke his foot ... after that point he couldn't step into his throws to throw for more than 10 yards. He also couldn't scramble away from Suh - which he was doing handily early on - anymore and ended up throwing the ball away a lot in consequence.
We still got the points, and the big win.
Sheff played a couple series in the OSU game, but it was clear his foot is not healed. So he's been on the bench ever since, and Taylor 'I suck' Potts has been leading us since then.

I remember reading when you guys had Harrel that Potts was the big recruit or whatever and was going to be your QB? What's the deal with him?

He's mentally not there. I don't know why, he;s only played two good games in his career ... vs UT and OU of all teams, go figure.
He was a big time recruit because he is 6-5 230 lbs and was recorded throwing the ball 80 yards and was a pretty decent scrambler in HS too ... none of which matters if he keeps throwing it to the other team.

He played terrible early in the season when he was handed the starting job, then he played one good game vs texas, took a vicious shot from kindle and was concussed so he was replaced by Sheffield who has played a million times better.

Just one of those weird situations.

So next year will there be a QB battle or what? I looked at Potts stats and they're not really that bad except the 12 INTs. But at the same time I think if you guys still had Crabtree you'd probably have 2 more wins atleast.

Well every Tech QB is gonna get stats, but Potts misses wide open guys, and throws off his back foot A LOT. The worst thing is that he hasn't seemed to have improved even after half a season. He also always throws to the check-down guy because he has lost his confidence. He hasn't thrown a deep ball in over a month even though his arm is very strong. I think he's damaged goods.

According to the assistant coaches yes, there will be a QB battle next season and I am pretty sure Sheffield will win barring any other injuries.
Most of the team seems to have Sheffield's back because he has the mental side of the game down pat.
  • Riot
  • Veteran
I tell you what, Nebraska's D is one of the best conditioned defenses I have ever seen. They have been on the field all game, and are still playing with a fire under there arses....

Held you guys to 250 yards of total offense though, right? That's gotta be your lowest offensive output in some time.

actually we were raping them and on our way to 400 yards ... pretty typical for tech ... then our QB broke his foot ... after that point he couldn't step into his throws to throw for more than 10 yards. He also couldn't scramble away from Suh - which he was doing handily early on - anymore and ended up throwing the ball away a lot in consequence.
Sheff played a couple series in the OSU game, but it was clear his foot is not healed. So he's been on the bench ever since, and Taylor 'I suck' Potts has been leading us since then.

I remember reading when you guys had Harrel that Potts was the big recruit or whatever and was going to be your QB? What's the deal with him?

He's mentally not there. I don't know why, he;s only played two good games in his career ... vs UT and OU of all teams, go figure.
He was a big time recruit because he is 6-5 230 lbs and was recorded throwing the ball 80 yards and was a pretty decent scrambler in HS too ... none of which matters if he keeps throwing it to the other team.

He played terrible early in the season when he was handed the starting job, then he played one good game vs texas, took a vicious shot from kindle and was concussed so he was replaced by Sheffield who has played a million times better.

So next year will there be a QB battle or what? I looked at Potts stats and they're not really that bad except the 12 INTs. But at the same time I think if you guys still had Crabtree you'd probably have 2 more wins atleast.

Well every Tech QB is gonna get stats, but Potts misses wide open guys, and throws off his back foot A LOT. The worst thing is that he hasn't seemed to have improved even after half a season. He also always throws to the check-down guy because he has lost his confidence. He hasn't thrown a deep ball in over a month even though his arm is very strong. I think he's damaged goods.

According to the assistant coaches yes, there will be a QB battle next season and I am pretty sure Sheffield will win barring any other injuries.
Most of the team seems to have Sheffield's back because he has the mental side of the game down pat.

Seems like in the Air Raid it would be far preferable to have a small, weak-armed but smart quarterback than a big hurler. I realize that applies to most offensive systems, but considering how TT's quarterback shoulders much of the responsibility for the offense (even down to calling plays at the line when Leach just calls a formation) the need for good decision-making is magnified.
Rolando McClain wins the Butkus Award as college football's top linebacker.

McClain wins Butkus Award
Originally posted by Riot:

Seems like in the Air Raid it would be far preferable to have a small, weak-armed but smart quarterback than a big hurler. I realize that applies to most offensive systems, but considering how TT's quarterback shoulders much of the responsibility for the offense (even down to calling plays at the line when Leach just calls a formation) the need for good decision-making is magnified.

lol, I doubt Leach is looking for small weak armed guys, but yeah, Tech usually goes for good decision makers without great measurables and turns them into good and sometimes great college QBs because the elite programs snap up the physical beasts who are smart players.

Someday Tech will recruit well enough to get the big/strong AND smart guys, unfortunately that's not today.

Instead we get dumb QBs with cannons (Potts), or football genius QBs with weak arms (Harrell)
I'm glad Oregon State isn't reppin' the pac 10 in the Rose Bowl

I don't know how Cal will do tomorrow, if we can sustain drives with Vereen running I think we win. If we have to air it out with Riley it might be ugly, he is so inconsistent.
Originally posted by teeohh:
I'm glad Oregon State isn't reppin' the pac 10 in the Rose Bowl

I don't know how Cal will do tomorrow, if we can sustain drives with Vereen running I think we win. If we have to air it out with Riley it might be ugly, he is so inconsistent.

Yeah, hopefully we can win.
go ohio!

marshall is killing themselves with these penalties
boston college's qb is 25 years old? someone tell me that story

yea... i dunno man. weird
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

yea... i dunno man. weird

damn he pitched in the minors 7 years and he's just 25, how did he end up as the starting qb though

taylor mays = OVERRATED
pics from the game...

http://www.examiner.com/x-23338-SF-Sports-Photography-Examiner~y2009m12d27-USC-tops-Boston-College-2413-in-Emerald-Bowl-Photo-recap
http://www.myking76.com/Sports/Football/Emerald-Bowl-2009
Share 49ersWebzone