There are 258 users in the forums

The 2009 Notre Dame Fighting Irish Thread

Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by teeohh:
Also why is there a rush to announce a coach right away? Why can't it wait until after the bowl games?

Recruiting, this gap between the end of the season and the bowl games is a big time for coaches to get a lot of their recruiting trips out of the way. They don't have much time to get it done after the bowl games.

What exactly are they doing from January to August that they can't go recruit?
  • evil
  • Veteran
I think it's kind of f**ked up to take a new job while you still have a game to coach. It's distracting.

He won't be coaching the bowl game.....highly unlikely any school would hire a new coach and still allow them to coach in a bowl game for their former team.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Also why is there a rush to announce a coach right away? Why can't it wait until after the bowl games?

Recruiting, this gap between the end of the season and the bowl games is a big time for coaches to get a lot of their recruiting trips out of the way. They don't have much time to get it done after the bowl games.

What exactly are they doing from January to August that they can't go recruit?

Signing Day is Feb.3rd so he has to start working on recruiting his players for the 2010 season. They do recruit for the 2011 class during that time but there is also spring and fall practice in there as well.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Welcome to the Bend Coach K.....now go wake up those echoes and best of luck to you! Time to rally up Irish fans!
  • evil
  • Veteran
Biletnikoff b***hes!

Originally posted by KRS-1:
I think it's kind of f**ked up to take a new job while you still have a game to coach. It's distracting.

He won't be coaching the bowl game.....highly unlikely any school would hire a new coach and still allow them to coach in a bowl game for their former team.

Makes sense. I read an article on how pissed the players are at him, Gilyard walked out a meeting and the players didn't give Kelly a round of applause when he said goodbye.
i didnt even realize they already hired a new head man..

after watching Brian Kelly's introductory speech, something about that man says head football coach, they are going to be good again...possibly even right way..

Makes sense. I read an article on how pissed the players are at him, Gilyard walked out a meeting and the players didn't give Kelly a round of applause when he said goodbye.

I would be pissed at him too. They probably could have gone to bigger and better schools, at least a few of those players, and they went there to play for him and he promised them that he would coach them to bowl games and stuff and then when they get to a big one, he runs away to coach ND. I don't care that most coaches don't allow their hires to coach their former school's bowl game. There should be a rule that you can't make any coaching hires until the team's season is over. Cinci players got screwed.
Brian Kelly fired after "five-minute plan" fails to deliver results

Former Cincinnati head coach Brian Kelly was presented as the new head coach of Notre Dame at a press conference this afternoon and charted a bold path for the program, stating "we don't get five-year plans. This is a five-minute plan." Then, 15 minutes later following the end of the press conference, Kelly was let go by athletics director Jack Swarbrick for failing to show any progress. "I was disappointed in Brian," said Swarbrick. "I'm big enough to admit when I make a mistake. And hiring him was a mistake. At least Charlie Weis won a few games during his tenure. All Brian did was sit on his fat ass and answer questions. The entire time. Forget bowl wins, he never stood up. No way was I going to give him even another five minutes."
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

I would be pissed at him too. They probably could have gone to bigger and better schools, at least a few of those players, and they went there to play for him and he promised them that he would coach them to bowl games and stuff and then when they get to a big one, he runs away to coach ND. I don't care that most coaches don't allow their hires to coach their former school's bowl game. There should be a rule that you can't make any coaching hires until the team's season is over. Cinci players got screwed.

This would only be agreed upon if they would push signing day back 3-4 weeks.

Cincy did not get screwed....they should be happy because they can hire their new coach now and he can begin to work on recruiting his type of players now and not after their bowl game where he would have under 4 weeks to work on convincing current commits to stay and getting new recruits that fit his mold. Kelly left for a promotion, he has a chance to coach at the most storied football program of all time, and that has always been a dream for him. Had he turned ND down he may not have ever gotten a chance to fulfill his dream. Would YOU want to turn down the opportunity to fulfill your dream ? He fulfilled that promise that he made to UC for the most part, he took them to 3 bowl games and coached them in 3 (D'Antonio took them to one but bolted for Michigan State and BK came in and coached them to a win in that game).

Not telling the players was the best thing for them whether those players choose to accept that reality or not. That is exactly why the players are pissed. He prevented them from being distracted by this going into the Pittsburgh game...this team was 1 FG away from going to the NCG. He also prevented any player from accidentally or purposely leaking any news on whether he was intending on taking the ND job should it be offered, which in turns keeps the mediots from nosing around every UC player, BK and his family and both the UC and ND officials for answers or info (which again just provides further distraction for a team looking to win the Big East title, preserve it's undefeated season and it's attempt to gain a BCS Bowl bid).

This is not the first time in College Football that this has happened and again unless they push NSD back then this will continue to happen.

• evil
  • Veteran
Our new 2010 Fight Song!

• evil
  • Veteran
Get your 2010 BK T-Shirts!

Front :

Back :

Link
Get your 2010 BK T-Shirts!

Front :

Back :

Link

good 1 blastmasta
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
Me and a couple of irish fans i know are planning on dressing up like this and march with bagpipes and drums to the coliseum vs usc next year ...GO IRISH!!!

Manti Te'o is coming back next year!

linkage
Share 49ersWebzone