There are 167 users in the forums

The 2009 Notre Dame Fighting Irish Thread

Originally posted by kronik:
Their defense sucks bad. And their OT Sam Young is so overrated. He lost this game with that sack where he didn't even get out of his stance. LOL at some of the posters that suggested drafting him.

dude has been garbage all yr long. always getting beat during crucial moments of the game.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Originally posted by kronik:
Their defense sucks bad. And their OT Sam Young is so overrated. He lost this game with that sack where he didn't even get out of his stance. LOL at some of the posters that suggested drafting him.

dude has been garbage all yr long. always getting beat during crucial moments of the game.

I believe it. I did see a mock drafts from some zoners suggesting drafting him with 2nd or 3rd round picks. Note to self: Never trust those posters again.
Source: Weis has cleaned out his office
I'm guessing Weis was fired already. Why else would it take so long for the press conference to start?
[ Edited by blunt_probe on Nov 28, 2009 at 9:09 PM ]
so what does Weis do now?
Maybe he'll become the next niner oc?
Originally posted by teeohh:

Just got back from Palo Alto... hell of a game.

Toby won't win the Heisman... but SHOULD.

I'll post some pics when my cousin emails them.

Saw Bryant Young, too.

Bye Charlie.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:
The money is definitely part of it but a huge part of it has to do with ND being the most storied college football program of all time. Going to ND and bringing a NC would cement any aspiring coaches legacy in College Football. Said coach would then also have a ton of leverage to get any college or pro HC job he would want and the dollar figures to go with it.

As far as the garbage comment, that is simply not true. ND has a lot of talented young players whose talent has still not been maximized. They do need to do a better job of recruiting high profile defensive players as having your D ranked 80 something in the nation is not going to help you win football games. But they have had some very good recruiting classes during CW's tenure and any aspiring coach will take a look at having guys who aren't eligible to declare like Crist, Floyd, Evans, Te'o, Stockton & Ethan Johnson and know there is a good foundation to build on should none opt to transfer. If the new HC can convince Clausen, Tate and Brian Smith to stay for the senior years and get the defense to play better then you can possibly be a very competitive team and finish in the top 25 in year one.

ok..ok that's true "money talks and bullshiite runs the marathon". if you're a money hungry coach then by all means head to south bend. Listen blastmaster ND is your team and you know the in's and out's of them better than I. What used to be storied ain't shiite now days. your recruits do not measure up to jack squat. ND plays bunch cupcake games. they play teams on the bottom of Big 10 yr in and yr out. Mich, Mich State, Predue than they play Navy every yr. they play Stanford(few yrs they're good but for the most they're on the bottom of Pac 10). the only team they play that's on the upper echelon of NCAA is USC.

We all know that the best NCAA conf is SEC and Pac 10 where the majority of the best prospects end up at. Therefore no matter what you'll get bunch of bottom feeders at ND. the days of storied days at ND are long behind us. they're just mediocre at best. when they start playing the upper echelon of NCAA teams from Big10, SEC and Pac10 then there's something worth talking about. stop trying to cherry picking your way to BCS bowl games or the top 25. Matter of fact I bet they can not beat the likes of Boise State, TCU, Cincinnati, BYU and Utah with CW recruits.

1- The recruits do measure up. Look at where our recent recruiting classes have been ranked. The individual prospects talent & potential has not been maximized but the incoming classes were strong under Weis. That falls on the coaching staff.

2- As far as scheduling, there are some teams we schedule every year and have rivalries with, Michigan (who were a top 5 ranked team just a few years ago and likely will again in the coming years), Michigan State, Purdue, USC etc. After that as of late the schedule has been watered down however in a heartbeat they can schedule tougher opponents. Teams will want to get a chance to play ND on national TV to bring attention to their respective program.

3- You put a coach who can win big games in college and can recruit at ND and the program can easily turn around. And there is no denying that if you come into South Bend and turn the program into a contender once again you will be heralded as a HC. Once the program becomes a contender the scheduling will be adjusted to face tougher competition.

You talk about scheduling and look at all the upper echelon teams, they don't stack their OOC schedules with other upper echelon teams. Look at who USC had scheduled OOC this year.....San Jose St, Ohio State & Notre Dame. 1 team that is in the upper echelon of their conference but overall they were not really a top 10 team (however they did possess a great defense yet they still lost to Purdue).

I bet we could play a good game vs any of those teams listed if we had a defense. But we don't. We'd be blown out by those teams under this coaching staff, but with a defense we good give them a good game, maybe not beat them but keep it closer than most would think. Offensively we have proven we can score but it's hard to win football games when you give up 30+ points a game and when you can't stop the run or pass. All those teams you mentioned had defenses ranked in the top 40 and 3 are ranked top 25. And all of those teams could probably give the top 3 ranked teams in the country a close game if not beat them. TCU and Cincy especially have arguments as to why they deserve to be in the NCG.

All it takes is the right coaching staff to help Notre Dame turn around. They can be an upper echelon team once again and add to their storied history, as a fan I just hope Swarbrick makes the right decision and gets the right HC in there.

It's quite obvious to me you are a Notre Dame hater and that's fine but if you truly don't believe that this program can be relevant again then you'll need to take your blinders off because they can. There are a lot of storied college football teams who fell off and have bounced back to become relevant again. Before Saban got to Bama they went nearly 15 years with a 67-55 record and only one conference championship. They went 15 years without a NC, and yet since Saban took over they became relevant again. Not because they are an SEC team but because the man can coach and recruit on this level. Saban helped Michigan State get better, did the same for LSU and brought them their 1st NC in nearly 50 years and now has Alabama back in the SEC championship game.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by crzy:
Clausen, Floyd, and Tate, and the best the Irish could do was 6-6....sad.

If they even had a half decent defense, they probably would have won ten games.

This. Our defense helped us out once or twice but hurt us MAJORITY of the time.

The 18 million dollars left on his contract will soften the blow.

He'll be an NFL coordinator next year
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Nov 29, 2009 at 9:47 AM ]
It was not the year I expected.. I do appreciate all the good things Charlie has done, graduating his players, proven that it is a myth that ND cant recruit with their standards, the 2 BCS games, etc.. I dont deny though that his record speaks for itself, and a change needs to be made. I am sure Clausen and Tate are gone..I believe both will succeed at the next level and very strongly encourage the Niners to snag Tate in the 2nd or 3rd round where he is projected to go. He is a flat out playmaker. Hopefully ND will choose to accept a bowl game so I can see this group play one more time together.. but if you are Clausen, do you even want to play in a bowl game and risk injury? He is projected as a first round draft pick.. thats a lot of money to lose
why do they get to vote on a bowl game? I don't get it, someone fill me in on why it works that way.
why do they get to vote on a bowl game? I don't get it, someone fill me in on why it works that way.

teams are invited to bowl games.. they can choose not to go.
Originally posted by bigfan:

teams are invited to bowl games.. they can choose not to go.

it's just the first time I heard of a team thinking about not going

so 6 wins guarantees you a bowl game? then how come during the boise game the announcers were talking about how they might not even get a bowl game

i'm a noob at college football
Share 49ersWebzone