There are 185 users in the forums

The 2009 Notre Dame Fighting Irish Thread

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
can someone explain to me WTF is so good about being a coach at ND. last time they won something worth talking about was Coach Lou Holtz. I'm listening to all these college coaches all over the country being so interested in the job. why would you want to leave your program that's up in there in bcs standings for a team that's pretty much garbabe. i.e brian kelly, urban meyer, mark richt and others

ND pays very well. that's pretty much it at this point. Also when those guys were in their teens, 20's ND was a stellar program and may have been their "dream job."

The money is definitely part of it but a huge part of it has to do with ND being the most storied college football program of all time. Going to ND and bringing a NC would cement any aspiring coaches legacy in College Football. Said coach would then also have a ton of leverage to get any college or pro HC job he would want and the dollar figures to go with it.

As far as the garbage comment, that is simply not true. ND has a lot of talented young players whose talent has still not been maximized. They do need to do a better job of recruiting high profile defensive players as having your D ranked 80 something in the nation is not going to help you win football games. But they have had some very good recruiting classes during CW's tenure and any aspiring coach will take a look at having guys who aren't eligible to declare like Crist, Floyd, Evans, Te'o, Stockton & Ethan Johnson and know there is a good foundation to build on should none opt to transfer. If the new HC can convince Clausen, Tate and Brian Smith to stay for the senior years and get the defense to play better then you can possibly be a very competitive team and finish in the top 25 in year one.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
The money is definitely part of it but a huge part of it has to do with ND being the most storied college football program of all time. Going to ND and bringing a NC would cement any aspiring coaches legacy in College Football. Said coach would then also have a ton of leverage to get any college or pro HC job he would want and the dollar figures to go with it.

As far as the garbage comment, that is simply not true. ND has a lot of talented young players whose talent has still not been maximized. They do need to do a better job of recruiting high profile defensive players as having your D ranked 80 something in the nation is not going to help you win football games. But they have had some very good recruiting classes during CW's tenure and any aspiring coach will take a look at having guys who aren't eligible to declare like Crist, Floyd, Evans, Te'o, Stockton & Ethan Johnson and know there is a good foundation to build on should none opt to transfer. If the new HC can convince Clausen, Tate and Brian Smith to stay for the senior years and get the defense to play better then you can possibly be a very competitive team and finish in the top 25 in year one.

ok..ok that's true "money talks and bullshiite runs the marathon". if you're a money hungry coach then by all means head to south bend. Listen blastmaster ND is your team and you know the in's and out's of them better than I. What used to be storied ain't shiite now days. your recruits do not measure up to jack squat. ND plays bunch cupcake games. they play teams on the bottom of Big 10 yr in and yr out. Mich, Mich State, Predue than they play Navy every yr. they play Stanford(few yrs they're good but for the most they're on the bottom of Pac 10). the only team they play that's on the upper echelon of NCAA is USC.

We all know that the best NCAA conf is SEC and Pac 10 where the majority of the best prospects end up at. Therefore no matter what you'll get bunch of bottom feeders at ND. the days of storied days at ND are long behind us. they're just mediocre at best. when they start playing the upper echelon of NCAA teams from Big10, SEC and Pac10 then there's something worth talking about. stop trying to cherry picking your way to BCS bowl games or the top 25. Matter of fact I bet they can not beat the likes of Boise State, TCU, Cincinnati, BYU and Utah with CW recruits.
I couldn't watch the game, statistically Clausen had a good game, over 300 yards and 5 touchdowns. I think he enters the draft.
Charlie
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Clausen, Floyd, and Tate, and the best the Irish could do was 6-6....sad.
Originally posted by crzy:
Clausen, Floyd, and Tate, and the best the Irish could do was 6-6....sad.

If they even had a half decent defense, they probably would have won ten games.
Gerhart deserves to win the Heisman.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by blunt_probe:

1700 yds and 26 tds seriously. And he was pretty much the entire Stanford offense.
Originally posted by crzy:

1700 yds and 26 tds seriously. And he was pretty much the entire Stanford offense.

I've been watching this guy all year, and yes, he literally was the offense. If he doesn't win, I'll call east coast bias.

after tonight's performence.

Best way to win the Heisman is to be a beast at the end of the year. 13 td's over the last 4 games is pretty impressive. After Ingram's crummy game yesterday, I figured Colt would win it pretty easily. I'm not so sure now.
ND got sucka punched out of Palo Alto. just love watching pillsbury dough boy leaving in tears.
Originally posted by pantstickle:

Best way to win the Heisman is to be a beast at the end of the year. 13 td's over the last 4 games is pretty impressive. After Ingram's crummy game yesterday, I figured Colt would win it pretty easily. I'm not so sure now.

he better get well before next weeks big showdown.
Their defense sucks bad. And their OT Sam Young is so overrated. He lost this game with that sack where he didn't even get out of his stance. LOL at some of the posters that suggested drafting him.
Share 49ersWebzone