LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

2009-2010 Texas Longhorns Page

Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Kindle just took Cox's head off. Wow.

You mean Potts?
Sergio Kindle is looking like a top prospect.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

You mean Potts?

He's a bad dude. He's especially bad at driving.
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

You mean Potts?

He's a bad dude. He's especially bad at driving.

What an idiot. Why do so many great players do so such dumb s**t off the field?
Good game Texas.
The good thing is Potts proved he's legit.
We're gonna be good next year.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
I love Colt but I'm not buying the flu thing. I never heard ity mentioned before the game and you know ther media loves to play up that crap. I'm wondering if it isn't just the pressure of expectations. He didn't really have that last year until after beating OU, and that gave him a lot of confidence. Hopefully the same happens this year. Either way the offense hasn't looked right in any facet yet this year.
Originally posted by TX9R:
I love Colt but I'm not buying the flu thing. I never heard ity mentioned before the game and you know ther media loves to play up that crap. I'm wondering if it isn't just the pressure of expectations. He didn't really have that last year until after beating OU, and that gave him a lot of confidence. Hopefully the same happens this year. Either way the offense hasn't looked right in any facet yet this year.

I think once they get their timing down, they'll be just as productive as last year. Fortunately, the defense is playing pretty well.
Originally posted by dobophile:
Is this why Colt was so crappy? I hope so. But I have my doubts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4492204

Colt McCoy played poorly partially do to the fact that Texas Tech is his biggest personal rival.
He went to school in West Texas and almost half of his HS class went to TTU. His GF (at least she was a year ago, she might be his ex now) goes to TTU and went to HS in Lubbock.
He puts enormous pressure on himself to play well vs Texas Tech, and sometimes he presses too hard and doesn't relax.
It is also a big rivalry game for Tech as well, and Tech's guys get up for this game.

Now yes, he had big games vs, Tech in 06 and 07, but something to remember... Texas Tech had HORRIBLE defensive players and fired their defensive coordinator halfway through the 07 season.
TTU's defensive recruits were so poor up until a couple years ago, that only a couple are still starting.
In 08, and 09 Tech has finally gotten some decent and a few excellent defensive recruits who turned down programs like USC (Wade), Michigan (Graves), Oklahoma (Mahoney, Ford) and Georgia (Sesay) and transfers from places like Miami, FL (Perry).
This defensive improvement is part of the reason why Colt has played poorly 2 years in a row vs TTU.

Another reason, TTU's defense is used to playing the type of offense the Longhorns run.
Colt throws very few deep passes and spends most of time dumping the ball off or passing it between 5-15 yards.
Tech's defense is used to it because Graham Harrell was the exact same type of player, minus Colt's rushing ability.
Colt's fairly weak arm allows Tech to compete, whereas talented teams with strong-armed QB's like OU destroy us.
Well, that should keep us at #2.
Anyone care to comment? I can't be the only one.

Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
My precious pac 10 is tearing each other apart.

At this pace no team in the conference will get a shot at the national title.

My thoughts exactly.

As a Pac-10 fan in general and wishing for national success, I have no idea what to hope for any more. I guess USC to win out and top 10 teams to lose.

I think this kind of attitude is strange. As a Texas fan, I would never root for Oklahoma or Texas Tech or Kansas or Nebraska or Mizzou or any other Big 12 team.

Big 12 fans are one of the few that don't i guess.

Pac-10 fans do it, Big 10 fans do it...... and ESPESCIALLY SEC fans do it. just my observations

Big 12 fans do it too...I have many UT friends and they want their conference represented well.

well.... it's just dobo then......

I would never root for another Big 12 team (and especially not another SEC team, go Dawgs!). I think it's a conference insecurity thing with the Pac-1. I'd never root for OU to go undefeated so the Big 12 looked better. Strange.
^ Maybe you wouldn't, pants, but pretty much every SEC fan does it. I remember Florida blowing out a team last year and the fans chanting "SEC"...

It sucks, but the Pac-10 is pretty much forced to root for other teams in the conference. We have so little national respect that for, say, Cal's strength of schedule (or USC's strength of schedule) to be decent, Oregon and Arizona State have to be decent as well.

It's part of the large reason I hate the BCS; the algorithms shouldn't force you into having to cheer for rivals. Stupid system.

On another note, I don't see anyone tripping UT up until the national title game. I think UT actually has a better shot at running the table than UF does at this point. The OU game is really the only test, and they're overrated.

• TX9R
  • Veteran
I agree, i never saw this phenomenon until I lived in AZ and watched them cheer for their rivals after they got beat so "the conference would look good". I never understood it. If you're team is good enough on it's own, then they'll take care of business, if not they won't, period. I would never cheer for any rival in any situation. I think the SEC thing is more of a southern pride type deal. It's all they have to cheer for, so they fly the rebel flag so to speak for the SEC.

My thoughts exactly.

As a Pac-10 fan in general and wishing for national success, I have no idea what to hope for any more. I guess USC to win out and top 10 teams to lose.

I think this kind of attitude is strange. As a Texas fan, I would never root for Oklahoma or Texas Tech or Kansas or Nebraska or Mizzou or any other Big 12 team.

Pac-10 fans do it, Big 10 fans do it...... and ESPESCIALLY SEC fans do it. just my observations

Big 12 fans do it too...I have many UT friends and they want their conference represented well.

I would never root for another Big 12 team (and especially not another SEC team, go Dawgs!). I think it's a conference insecurity thing with the Pac-1. I'd never root for OU to go undefeated so the Big 12 looked better. Strange.

You guys might not "root" for other Big 12 teams, but you still want those Big 12 teams to win their OOC.

Most Big 12 fans I know root for the Big12 teams against a PAC-10 team unless its their rival. I remember back when TT beat CAL in a bowl game, UT fans rooted for Tech in that game and were extremely happy with that result because it "proved" the PAC-10 is over rated and the Big12 deserved a 2nd BCS team (UT) that year.

I think PAC-10 fans do it more frequently and are more engaged in rooting for other teams, but I think its total BS for you guys to say "NEVER" root for another Big 12 team in an OOC schedule.

Also, the PAC-10 has an inferiority complex because its always seen as inferior...So I don't see how you can see we are insecure, when plenty of people in this very thread have posted about how weak the PAC-10 is, and how its the PAC-1.

PAC-10 fans root for PAC-10teams OOC (other then their rival), because we want it proven to the nation we are not the PAC-1... Otherwise we will never get a 2nd team in a BCS bowl (I believe the last time that happened was 2002). So the fear is, when we have a team that deserves the bowl we won't get it because no one respects the PAC.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Sep 29, 2009 at 12:40 PM ]
  • TX9R
  • Veteran

My thoughts exactly.

You guys might not "root" for other Big 12 teams, but you still want those Big 12 teams to win their OOC.

Most Big 12 fans I know root for the Big12 teams against a PAC-10 team unless its their rival. I remember back when TT beat CAL in a bowl game, UT fans rooted for Tech in that game and were extremely happy with that result because it "proved" the PAC-10 is over rated and the Big12 deserved a 2nd BCS team (UT) that year.

I think PAC-10 fans do it more frequently and are more engaged in rooting for other teams, but I think its total BS for you guys to say "NEVER" root for another Big 12 team in an OOC schedule.

Also, the PAC-10 has an inferiority complex because its always seen as inferior...So I don't see how you can see we are insecure, when plenty of people in this very thread have posted about how weak the PAC-10 is, and how its the PAC-1.

PAC-10 fans root for PAC-10teams OOC (other then their rival), because we want it proven to the nation we are not the PAC-1... Otherwise we will never get a 2nd team in a BCS bowl (I believe the last time that happened was 2002). So the fear is, when we have a team that deserves the bowl we won't get it because no one respects the PAC.

no it isn't BS. I personally would never root for OU or A&M in any situation. I could care less about what America thinks of the big12, if Texas wins em all, then it's a non issue. Last year was flukey in that we got jobbed by a conference tie breaker, but more often than not if we win the conference we are likely going to a NCG. Again, if OU is playing Cal or CSF, I'm rooting against them. That's what a rivalry is, period.

My thoughts exactly.

no it isn't BS. I personally would never root for OU or A&M in any situation. I could care less about what America thinks of the big12, if Texas wins em all, then it's a non issue. Last year was flukey in that we got jobbed by a conference tie breaker, but more often than not if we win the conference we are likely going to a NCG. Again, if OU is playing Cal or CSF, I'm rooting against them. That's what a rivalry is, period.

Wow really? Did you not even read my post?

I said OTHER THEN A RIVAL. And yet you use UTs rivals, OU and A&M as examples...

And your statement that if Texas wins the conference you are likely going to a NCG again demonstrates my point. You are trying to point that because of the percieved strength of your conference, winning it means something significant. That is the very reason why PAC-10 schools root for each other (but only non-rivals) to win OOC, because they want PAC-10 to have perceived strength so that the team that wins the PAC-10 has a shot at the NCG.

Your conference has less need to demonstrate OOC strength because of its perceived strength. This isn't the NFL where just winning your games means something, with the BCS you have to win your games and be recognized as being a great team.

And most likely a team that wins a BCS conference doesn't go undefeated. So determining who gets what BCS bowl often involves comparing 11-1 teams to each other where Conference Strength plays a HUGE role.

Edit: Finally, you state "I could care less what America thinks of the Big 12?" Really? Thats just a hilarious comment. So if America thinks the Big 12 is the worst conference in all of CFB, say switch places with MAC, and you wouldn't care? You wouldn't care that your conference is viewed so poorly that even an undefeated season won't earn you a shot at NCG because your conference is seen as so week?

Again, I call BS. You care about how your conference is perceived because when UT wins the conference, you want them in the NCG and not to worry about some PAC or Big 10 school with the same record knocking Texas out of the game.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Sep 29, 2009 at 3:09 PM ]

My thoughts exactly.

Wow really? Did you not even read my post?

I said OTHER THEN A RIVAL. And yet you use UTs rivals, OU and A&M as examples...

And your statement that if Texas wins the conference you are likely going to a NCG again demonstrates my point. You are trying to point that because of the percieved strength of your conference, winning it means something significant. That is the very reason why PAC-10 schools root for each other (but only non-rivals) to win OOC, because they want PAC-10 to have perceived strength so that the team that wins the PAC-10 has a shot at the NCG.

Your conference has less need to demonstrate OOC strength because of its perceived strength. This isn't the NFL where just winning your games means something, with the BCS you have to win your games and be recognized as being a great team.

And most likely a team that wins a BCS conference doesn't go undefeated. So determining who gets what BCS bowl often involves comparing 11-1 teams to each other where Conference Strength plays a HUGE role.

Edit: Finally, you state "I could care less what America thinks of the Big 12?" Really? Thats just a hilarious comment. So if America thinks the Big 12 is the worst conference in all of CFB, say switch places with MAC, and you wouldn't care? You wouldn't care that your conference is viewed so poorly that even an undefeated season won't earn you a shot at NCG because your conference is seen as so week?

Again, I call BS. You care about how your conference is perceived because when UT wins the conference, you want them in the NCG and not to worry about some PAC or Big 10 school with the same record knocking Texas out of the game.

I get what you're saying. I think the reason Big12 fans and SEC fans don't root for other teams in the conference is because our conferences are always given the benefit of the doubt. Fact is, if you win the SEC, you're probably playing for a national championship, maybe the same for the Big12. That being said, if Auburn were playing USC, I'd root for Auburn. So I see your point.

*Same would go for if Auburn was playing Oregon State, Oregon, etc. Replace Kentucky with Auburn...same thing.
[ Edited by pantstickle on Sep 29, 2009 at 3:29 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone