There are 172 users in the forums

2009-2010 Texas Longhorns Page

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dobophile:
Originally posted by TX9R:
What's this crap about the Big10 trying to get Texas? I hate this idea, but ultimately money talks. Even though it would be good because we'd dominate that crappy conference every year, but this would ruin all our rivalries. Personally I liked the old SWC it made the most sense geographically and if not for SMUs debacle would likely still be a great conference.

I'd be cool with it if they also added OU. That's the only rivalry that I care about every year. (Screw A&M and Tech.)

The travel would suck.

That would kill the big12 and make the big10 a super conference which to me is less fun. I like playing other Texas teams personally. The travel would kill any chance of Texas fans traveling to road games the way they do now. College should have natural established geographic rivals.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Interesting read:
http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/
I've got to say reading through all of this that I've been swayed that a move to the big10 may be the way to go. Once you get past the geographic issue everything else is a huge plus for Texas long term. I didn't realize that possibly losing Mizzu would have such a big impact financially on the big12. Add the potential for Colorado to bolt to the pac1 and that's really the 2 biggest TV markets outside of Texas lost. It could be a sinking ship that Texas may be wise to be the first to abandon.
What's this crap about the Big10 trying to get Texas? I hate this idea, but ultimately money talks. Even though it would be good because we'd dominate that crappy conference every year, but this would ruin all our rivalries. Personally I liked the old SWC it made the most sense geographically and if not for SMUs debacle would likely still be a great conference.

I'd be cool with it if they also added OU. That's the only rivalry that I care about every year. (Screw A&M and Tech.)

The travel would suck.

That would kill the big12 and make the big10 a super conference which to me is less fun. I like playing other Texas teams personally. The travel would kill any chance of Texas fans traveling to road games the way they do now. College should have natural established geographic rivals.

Regionally, it doesn't make much sense, but financially it does. The Big 12 North is a dump and a drain on the conference. It would be nice to just dump Colorado and Iowa State completely. Sure, there'd be no conference championship game, but who cares.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pantstickle:

The travel would suck.

Regionally, it doesn't make much sense, but financially it does. The Big 12 North is a dump and a drain on the conference. It would be nice to just dump Colorado and Iowa State completely. Sure, there'd be no conference championship game, but who cares.

I've been reading about this all day and thinking and have concluded it's absolutely the best thing for Texas. The positives just outweigh everything else. Really Texas has no long term ties to the big12. They played OU every year as a non conference game for decades. I'm convinced A&M has gone the way of SMU (once a rival) and should be relegated to that type of conference, we can play them every other year or something. Not only is the money staggering, but Texas can "grow the brand" beyond Texas and possibly replace ND as the national team with a move like this. While it does open Texas recruits up more to the big10, vice versa would be true as well. Also the idea of a superconference from a fans standpoint makes for more competitive games and less cream puffs.

The travel would suck.

I've been reading about this all day and thinking and have concluded it's absolutely the best thing for Texas. The positives just outweigh everything else. Really Texas has no long term ties to the big12. They played OU every year as a non conference game for decades. I'm convinced A&M has gone the way of SMU (once a rival) and should be relegated to that type of conference, we can play them every other year or something. Not only is the money staggering, but Texas can "grow the brand" beyond Texas and possibly replace ND as the national team with a move like this. While it does open Texas recruits up more to the big10, vice versa would be true as well. Also the idea of a superconference from a fans standpoint makes for more competitive games and less cream puffs.

How is a super-conference a good team?

You'd end up with 3 or 4 elite teams having 1 or 2 losses each, and then some crappy team from the Big XII will end up undefeated and get a better bowl than more deserving teams.

I hate the BCS...
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

The travel would suck.

How is a super-conference a good team?

You'd end up with 3 or 4 elite teams having 1 or 2 losses each, and then some crappy team from the Big XII will end up undefeated and get a better bowl than more deserving teams.

I hate the BCS...

The SEC has been this way for some time. And really, only OSU and UT are elite teams and they would likely be in seperate subdivisions. The bottom line is that if a team is truly great, it should be able to beat good teams. The big12 would be worse than the big east, and they have had several undefeated teams and never one in the NCG. An added bonus would be Texas could beat Michigan H2H and in a few years take their rightful spot as the winninest program in NCAA all time.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/06/report-pac-10-ready-to-invite-six-big-12-schools-including-texas-oklahoma/1

So seriously, what's going to happen with conference realignments? It looks like the Big 12 is toast.

Texas should go independent.

I think that's the most likely scenario. Texas wants its own television network, and that's pretty much the only way it happens. I've heard the SEC is interested in A&M. If that happened, then Texas going independent makes the most sense.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/06/report-pac-10-ready-to-invite-six-big-12-schools-including-texas-oklahoma/1

So seriously, what's going to happen with conference realignments? It looks like the Big 12 is toast.

Texas should go independent.

I think that's the most likely scenario. Texas wants its own television network, and that's pretty much the only way it happens. I've heard the SEC is interested in A&M. If that happened, then Texas going independent makes the most sense.

When is this all going to be decided?

Whatever Texas decides, it needs to be careful if it wants to keep its position as top destination for Texas HS recruits. There's nothing guaranteed about Texas always owning the in-state recruiting.

I have no idea. I was listening to Chip Brown talk about it and I got a phone call and missed most of it.
A little more in-depth article about it that I'll read when I have more time.
just saw on espn that it's very likely that PAC10 would invite UT, TTU, A&M, OU, OSU and some other school I can't recall to join the PAC and turn in into a mega-conference with two 8-team divisions?

Originally posted by vrabbit:
just saw on espn that it's very likely that PAC10 would invite UT, TTU, A&M, OU, OSU and some other school I can't recall to join the PAC and turn in into a mega-conference with two 8-team divisions?

Yes, see the above posts.

• TX9R
  • Veteran
As usual money rules over all. Texas should either go indy or Big10. The Big12 is finished, it all comes down to TV money and there isn't enough households in the Big 12 to compete. When this is all said and done there will be 3 superconferences and a bunch of scrubs left out. It sucks for college football as a whole. As big as Texas is and as far reaching it's audience, I think more moeny comes fromt the big10 TV deal and that will ultimately determine all of this.
Share 49ersWebzone