LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 382 users in the forums

Official 2009 #24 Cal Bears Football Thread

What bowl game are we probably going to get?
Bag of chips bowl or Cesar salad bowl is what I'm guessing.
who do we play?
Originally posted by Conejo:
This is like a completely different Tedford, the Tedford I know would've gone on that 4th&1 earlier in the game, would've gone for the TD on that 3rd&8 from the Stanford 9.

I like the new Tedford in a lot of ways, ie no longer just an X's and O's guy but instead also a coach who connects with his players, but I don't like his passive mentality in this game at all. Obviously he's gonna get credit from a lot of people because he won the game, but playing not to lose is not what I expect from this team

I'm happy for the W, I just hope this doesn't become a constant

Congratulations to Cal. They played well and deserve to win. However, that call on 3rd and 8 by Tedford was just horrendous and he was taken off the hook by the interception at the end. I just dont see how you dont at least try to get the ball in the end zone (even if its on a draw play). I agree with you 100%.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Conejo:
This is like a completely different Tedford, the Tedford I know would've gone on that 4th&1 earlier in the game, would've gone for the TD on that 3rd&8 from the Stanford 9.

I like the new Tedford in a lot of ways, ie no longer just an X's and O's guy but instead also a coach who connects with his players, but I don't like his passive mentality in this game at all. Obviously he's gonna get credit from a lot of people because he won the game, but playing not to lose is not what I expect from this team

I'm happy for the W, I just hope this doesn't become a constant

Congratulations to Cal. They played well and deserve to win. However, that call on 3rd and 8 by Tedford was just horrendous and he was taken off the hook by the interception at the end. I just dont see how you dont at least try to get the ball in the end zone (even if its on a draw play). I agree with you 100%.

seriously, AT THE LEAST

mvp of the game!

42 rushes 193 yards, 3 touchdowns

outran toby
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
What bowl game are we probably going to get?

I'm not sure what the tie breakers are but it looks like Cal could play in either:

Sun Bowl - if 3rd in Pac 10
Emerald - if 4thor 5th
Las Vegas Bowl - if 4th or 5th
Poinsettia Bowl - if 6th

Looks like there is a great chance that Stanford, Cal, USC, and Arizona will all have 3 conference losses. Also, Oregon St could have 3 losses. Bottom line is I thinks it impossible to predict what game they play in.
S'rsly boy's and girls -- ya just gotta get off Tedford's nuts. Stanford had a good team year, Mkay? The knocked the shyte out of USC, Mkay? In the Trojan house no less, Mkay? And Tedford brought his kids in and sweated out a tough win.

Now -- Jefe and I went to school together at Fresno State -- so I'm a little biased.

But -- what most of you kids fail to realize is that Cal football was TERRIBLE before Tedford came in. It was the worst, most God Awful football ever hoisted upon the Bay Area. And they had been that bad for DECADES. Cal Alumni sort of accepted it. If they could get one decent year out of ten -- that was good enough for them. And they bought into the argument that Cal couldn't field a competitive team because of the high academic standards.

Tedford comes in after 40 years of losing football and blows that argument all to He** in a Handbasket. You've had nothing but winning, competitive football since Tedford took over. He has been the ONLY COACH in modern history to deliver this kind of excellence.

And you're on this guy's nvuts? What? You want Pappy back? Joe Kapp? Tom Holmoe?

Yes -- I know. He hasn't delivered a Rose Bowl yet. I know that bothers Jeff Tedford more than it bothers you. Tim Kawakami brought up an interesting point in that Tedford's operation is no longer a QB factory. Don't think that escaped notice.

By the way -- Riley probably played the best game of his career last night. I saw exactly one bad pass. One. Otherwise -- he was Solid Gold Great.

But -- back to the subject. Years ago -- I wanted the Niners to raid Cal for Tedford. Didn't happen. Tedford committed to Cal. The Niners weren't interested. Fine. You don't know just how damn lucky you are. Tedford is going to get the Bear program to Pasadena someday. Not this year -- but someday.

And then you can thank me.

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Great game I went to it.

It just proves how hard it is to win when the pressure is on you. Stanford is just like Cal in that regard. They win when they're the underdog nobody expects to win, and fail when they're expected to win.

Toby still deserves the Heisman though.
Originally posted by crzy:
Great game I went to it.

It just proves how hard it is to win when the pressure is on you. Stanford is just like Cal in that regard. They win when they're the underdog nobody expects to win, and fail when they're expected to win.

I don't know. He needed to have a great game. Your great players perform well in BIG GAMES. He all but vanished. He had one big run at the start. And he had that short swing pass in the 4th quarter down the sideline. Other than that -- it was bunch of dives into the endzone from the goal line.

He was not a game-changer in this one. Heisman candidates are game changers. Toby was not.

Good kid -- but I'm guessing it's going to somebody else.

I'm kind of surprised Stanford isn't ranked anymore now. Whatever though.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by crzy:
Great game I went to it.

I don't know. He needed to have a great game. Your great players perform well in BIG GAMES. He all but vanished. He had one big run at the start. And he had that short swing pass in the 4th quarter down the sideline. Other than that -- it was bunch of dives into the endzone from the goal line.

He was not a game-changer in this one. Heisman candidates are game changers. Toby was not.

Good kid -- but I'm guessing it's going to somebody else.

give it to CJ!
Share 49ersWebzone