There are 236 users in the forums

Official NBA Champion Los Angeles Lakers Offseason Thread

Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Good and Bad pick.

Artest demands the ISO a lot, idk how that's gonna work out with Kobe, I rarely see anybody else on the team besides Kobe or Pau on isolation, and I rather have Kobe and Pau working that anyways besides Artest. He's up in there age, it's never a great thing when you have too many All-Stars on your team, look what happend to us when we had Malone, Shaq, Kobe, Payton...

But this is Artest we are talking about, a good spot up shooter, the best 1-on-1 defender in the league, and good post defender/rebounder. Hopefully he finds a good role for himself, and he learns how to play within this offense.

Lakers - Celtics NBA Finals.

I don't think Artest demanded the ISO, I think it was what was asked of him. He's not going to be doing much in that respect with Kobe & Gasol around. He'll be filling the same role that Ariza was asked to fill, with a few more touches. But in the past, he's been on teams where he was asked to create from the perimeter, and that won't happen much here.
Supposedly Crazy Pills is gonna wear #37.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

I wonder why #37...

He wore #96 for Rodman..wonder what #37 is.
How the hell did this...

PG: Smush Parker
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: Luke Walton
PF: Lamar Odom
C: Kwame Brown
6th: Chris Mihm/Devean George

turn into this?!?!...

PG: Derek Fisher
SF: Ron Artest
PF: Pau Gasol
C: Andrew Bynum
6th: Lamar Odom

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame
How the hell did this...

PG: Smush Parker
SF: Luke Walton
PF: Lamar Odom
C: Kwame Brown
6th: Chris Mihm/Devean George

turn into this?!?!...

PG: Derek Fisher
SF: Ron Artest
PF: Pau Gasol
C: Andrew Bynum
6th: Lamar Odom

Chris Wallace and David Stern.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jrg:

I wonder why #37...

Michael Jackson tribute.

Thriller was #1 for 37 weeks, so Tru Warior picked #37.
Originally posted by crzy:

I wonder why #37...

Michael Jackson tribute.

lol, how do you know these things...
Originally posted by GameOver:

I wonder why #37...

Michael Jackson tribute.

Artest was on the radio earlier tonight and said that's why he is wearing it.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

I wonder why #37...

Michael Jackson tribute.

Ohh...lol, ic ic, okh, thank you Stoney Stones
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

I wonder why #37...

Michael Jackson tribute.

Ohh...lol, ic ic, okh, thank you Stoney Stones
Check this thread out.

back-to-back champions with the signing of ron-ron. maybe even back-to-back-to-back. i've been wanting artest to be a laker since he left the pacers and went to sacramento. he brings so much to the table. we lost ariza, but artest is way better than ariza. this could have been a fluke season for ariza, and we know artest is established. can't wait to get my ron-ron jersey.

you have two of the best defenders in kobe and ron-ron. you add three 7 footers in the mix and we will hold opponents under 90 this season, while scoring about 110. just watch and see.
Good and Bad pick.

Artest demands the ISO a lot, idk how that's gonna work out with Kobe, I rarely see anybody else on the team besides Kobe or Pau on isolation, and I rather have Kobe and Pau working that anyways besides Artest. He's up in there age, it's never a great thing when you have too many All-Stars on your team, look what happend to us when we had Malone, Shaq, Kobe, Payton...

But this is Artest we are talking about, a good spot up shooter, the best 1-on-1 defender in the league, and good post defender/rebounder. Hopefully he finds a good role for himself, and he learns how to play within this offense.

I don't think Artest demanded the ISO, I think it was what was asked of him. He's not going to be doing much in that respect with Kobe & Gasol around. He'll be filling the same role that Ariza was asked to fill, with a few more touches. But in the past, he's been on teams where he was asked to create from the perimeter, and that won't happen much here.

I don't know if this will help the Lakers offensively, but you guys just became a great defensive team over night with Artest.

Let's see if Artest actually works within the triangle.

Looks like the Lakers are getting ready for Lebron in the finals.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jul 6, 2009 at 10:57 AM ]
Originally posted by dobophile:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Good and Bad pick.

I don't know if this will help the Lakers offensively, but you guys just became a great defensive team over night with Artest.

Who on the Lakers can stop Tony Parker?

Who in the league can stop Tony Parker?
Originally posted by dobophile:
Good and Bad pick.

Who on the Lakers can stop Tony Parker?

Nobody yet, but it didn't seem to be that big of a problem in the most recent years for the lakers against the spurs, or any team with a speedy PG. They let those guys get theirs and shut down everybody else.

I think that it helps the Lakers offensively if Artest can avoid being ball-dominant. I'm hoping that due to the nature of the triangle offense, it suits his skill set. He's very fundamentally sound, can handle the ball, set off the ball screens, knock down open 3's, and take smaller defenders in the post.

But he's never operated in a similar offense. He usually has the ball in his hands. That being said, he's turned into an excellent catch-and-shoot 3 point shooter, knocking down 40% of his 3's last year, and 38% the year before. So if he ends up being in the same positions that Ariza was in, he should thrive.

Either the Lakers or Artest are going to have to adjust a bit defensively. He's a great man defender, but we run the Strong Side Zone a lot, or at least we did last year. That uses defensive principles that are different than the straight man defense that Artest is used to playing, so there could be some issues.

Personally, I'd like us to play a little more straight up D. The SSZ suited Ariza, but I think that now we have the personnel to be very good defensively without running a Zone.
Share 49ersWebzone